Nissan Sani SFA conversion project

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Nissan Sani SFA conversion project

Post by jakeslouw »

Hi all

Newby on this forum, but since I'll probably be using some Toyota spares, I thought I'd just raise my project here to get some extra feedback.
(The Nissan forum already reckon I've lost my marbles, but what the heck.....)

Here's the plan to convert a Nissan Sani 4x2 to 4x4 SFA SOA (Solid Front Axle, Spring Over Axle):

- source divorced xfer box : already have a trashed Nissan 720/Tracker xfer box, and one more pending a price
- source a Toy Hilux SFA front diff with disks (bugger, but these things are quite expensive!)
- fabricate front subframe for leaf-spring mounts, bolt or weld to front of chassis (www.calmini.com)
- fabricate chassis mount points for the rear shackles for front leafspring set
- fabricate cross-member for xfer box
- new prop-shafts (dual cardan probably to handle the angles)
- fabricate gearbox-to-xfer box flange (use old prop-shaft front slip join and weld on circular plate? Will the heat affect the strength? Will I need to have this join heat treated again?)
- new bushes for SFA
- steering conversion
- new brake lines
etc
etc

Here are my Toyota issues:

1) My Nissan 27TD rear diff is (IIRC) a 4.1:1. I found a reference somewhere that mentions the old early 80s Hilux had a similar ratio? True or false?
2) The steering hardware: will I be able to match the Nissan steering arm to the Toy bits with some success? From the Calmini site, it would appear so, but has anybody here done this?
3) As far as I can see, the Toyota Hilux diff is based on the Dana diff? So lockers should be freely available (NO, I'm not gonna debate the pro's and con's.....
4) What other diff with front disks can I use? (old Isuzu Trooper, LC60, LR Salisbury with leaf-spring kit, ???????)
5) THE MOST IMPORTANT: HOW THE HECK DO I MAKE SURE THE TWO SOLID AXLES ARE PARALLEL AND PERFECTLY ALIGNED? This has a huge affect in steering, alignment and braking, so any tips here would be appreciated.

The idea will be to execute the project in phases, and as far as possible provide a revert plan by not destroying or modifying too many existing items: try as much as possible for a bolt-on conversion, or else install welded items that do not/will not affect any regression to original 4x2. (Original A-arms and front hubs will simply be removed, original gearbox retained, original steering box will be retained, etc)

I have the following reference to Hilux diff ratio's, maybe somebody can verify, clarify or expand:
Toyota Hilux: 4.88:1 (original 2.2 petrol)???, 4.55:1 (2.7 petrol)????, 4.3:1 ???? 4.1:1 (1983????)
I understand that the older diffs are all 2-pinion models? At what stage (if at all) did Toyota start using the 4-pinion in the front diff?

YOUR QUESTION MUST BE: WHY?????

Well, somebody has to do it.....anyway, I've had IFS before, and the only bit I like is the relatively soft ride. However, once you start pushing the boundaries of the torsion bar adjustment, all types of cr@p starts happening, not to mention the reduction in the nice soft ride.
I want the following:
- adjustable ride height (shackle kits)
- adjustable load profile (leaf kits)
- adjustable articulation (leafs and shackles)
So even though it's probably easier to buy a Toy DC SFA, I actually want the space a station wagon body gives me, and I don't have the money to buy an imported SFA Surf or similar. The best option could possibly be an FJ80, but see money issue already mentioned.
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Re: Nissan Sani SFA conversion project

Post by Andries »

Welcome Jakes!

You won't be sorry. I did it with a Isuzu 2.8Diesel. The owner is very impressed and do not look back once. :lol:

The Nissan guys will get jealus if they see what bakkie you have, that goes places where few other vechicles can go. I say GO FOR IT! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Hey Jakes.. Good to see you here.

That is an ambitious project, but a worthwhile one if you can pull it off like the SFA Hardbody on the Nissan site. I am looking for the thread, but can't seem to find it. When I do I will post the pics.

That mod was done on a 4x4 vehicle and not a 4x2 like you are... SO, hats off to you, you will have an awesome ride once done..

EDIT

I did not find the thread, but the person who did it was Jors and here is the picture section where you can what he has done (well a bit anyway) http://www.nissan4x4.co.za//forum/photo ... llery=Jors
Later....
David
Hillbilly
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Post by jakeslouw »

Thanks guys, now I just need the money and the guts to do it....
I think a SFA Sani will probably be the perfect off-roader.

David: ja, as I PM'd you, Jors did a coil conversion with a SFA: big job and needs trailing arms and coil mounts to be fabricated, as well as a set of coil-capable diffs (or else you have to weld mount-points onto the diff tubes....... :thumbdown:

Very big job.

I'll be taking pix as I go, starting with the as-is 4x2 setup and so on.
I'm now also reading up about leaf-spring technology: sjoe, quite involved for simple technology!

Return to “Other Vehicles”