Strange sound on SWAMBO's Suzi

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 1990 SFA Hilux

Strange sound on SWAMBO's Suzi

Post by Asterix »

Lux friends,

SWAMBO has a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 V6 with 160 000 trouble free KM on the clock.
It’s a great little lady’s 4x4 with nice vooma and it did not give us any problems.

I cannot comment on the 4x4 capabilities because SWAMBO nurses her baby :?

Last night I drove it to the shop and noticed a slight noise (the radio must be switched off) from the rear end of the vehicle. It sounds like a wheel bearing, but the sound does not come and go when cornering. I also noticed it to be more prominent when the vehicle free wheels and less noticeable when under power.

My thought is that it might be a pinion bearing on its way out or slightly unbalanced propshaft or even road noise from the tyres (they are 235/16/60 some hoener brand starting with a K)

Any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated. If SWAMBO is happy, she leaves me alone to do nice things like fishing, drinking beer and playing with my Lux.
:thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Strange sound on SWAMBO's Suzi

Post by Mud Dog »

Could be just about anything back there. Most sounds are more evident without the sound of a revving motor and wheel bearings are'nt neccesarily louder when cornering. :think:

Any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated. If SWAMBO is happy, she leaves me alone ....

:think:

Don't tell her about it and leave the radio on her favourite station! :mrgreen: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Asterix »

Andy,

Your reply just made my day.
Great advice, THANKS! :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Jokes aside, you're gonna have to try and trace it .... it may be something serious that has safety implications. Perhaps if she drives while you sit in the back and try to determine if it's coming from the centre (diff / universals / prop-shaft etc.), left or right (wheel bearings / brakes / tyres). Perhaps even put the back axle on stands and run it in gear while you have a listen underneath. :think:

P.S.
I've said before, one of the most useful and inexpensive pieces of equipment is a mechanic's stethoscope to pin point strange sounds. Midas used to keep ... about 40 bucks or so .... :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Asterix »

Andy,
Thanks! very useful tips. I will try everything with one exception - a friend will be behind wheel while I am listening!

Will let you know!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Mud Dog wrote:...one of the most useful and inexpensive pieces of equipment is a mechanic's stethoscope to pin point strange sounds. Midas used to keep ... about 40 bucks or so .... :wink:
Useful in the bedroom as well... with a bit of imagination... :twisted:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

RustyRod wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:...one of the most useful and inexpensive pieces of equipment is a mechanic's stethoscope to pin point strange sounds. Midas used to keep ... about 40 bucks or so .... :wink:
Useful in the bedroom as well... with a bit of imagination... :twisted:
:wth: Don't tell me that you're into that nurse uniform stuff!! :o:

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If it is more prominent when free wheel than under load my first guess would be universals on the prop shaft. We did the bearings on my Hilux's diff the other day and those made more of a noise under load and was quiet when free wheeling.

I would start with the universals.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Our Platkar had a similar thumping sound coming from the boot when I was transporting the M.I.L. recently.

It was however, quickly remeded by simply increasing the amount of Chlorophorm used ;-)
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Asterix »

Thanks again for all the tips!
I folwed the stethoscope advice and traced it to a rear brake shoe binding against an oval brake drum. It seems as if the self adjuster got a little confused when the drum got oval.
Everything is fixed now and SWAMBO is happy! I didn't try that nurse trick in the bedroom yet!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Happy that you got it sorted, Johan. :thumbup: :wink:

Return to “Other Vehicles”