Which GPS unit to choose - Entry, but enough to load routes

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
DustySFA
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Hilux 2.4 Petrol D/C

Which GPS unit to choose - Entry, but enough to load routes

Post by DustySFA »

Hi guys,

please help me choose a GPS unit. Obviously there is lots of talk about Garmin being the leader etc etc...

but i am open minded. i want a failry entry level unit, but i also want to be able to create routes from mapsource and load them onto the unit with ease...

i heard the 215W is a nice entry unit which has this feature...

planning a trip from PTA - Sani Pass - Underberg Splashi fest - PTA over the Easter weekend... :thumbup:

i will want my GPS by then...
:D
thanks

Clayton
Clayton

1997 Toyota Hilux 2.4 Petrol D/C (Sold when I left RSA)
New Lux any day now...
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Re: Which GPS unit to choose - Entry, but enough to load routes

Post by 0000DS »

For offroad use, the Nuvi 500 comes in tops. :thumbup:
There is a thread somewhere on the forum, which the guys have gone into a lot of detail about GPS's.
Petrusd
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 1997 2.4 Hilux DC 4x4 / Yamaha Motorfiets

Post by Petrusd »

DustySFA wrote:Hi guys,

please help me choose a GPS unit. Obviously there is lots of talk about Garmin being the leader etc etc...

but i am open minded. i want a failry entry level unit, but i also want to be able to create routes from mapsource and load them onto the unit with ease...

planning a trip from PTA - Sani Pass - Underberg Splashi fest - PTA over the Easter weekend... :thumbup:

thanks

Clayton

I hear that you can install Garmin on a Nokia Navigator (6110) and then upload all the maps that you need from the Garmap DVD (around R100 from outdoor wharehouse)

You`ll then have all the functions of the top-end garmin models :shifty: .... + a cell phone
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The Nuvi 215 is a 'city' type GPS and does not show tracks and trails etc. The only ones of the older Nuvis that could do this were the 710 and 760, both of which are now off the market. The Nuvi 500 is a nice little GPS and will do this, but you're looking at double the price for it (at least...) compared to the 215.

I do have a Nuvi 710 in stock still, brand new... the last one. Can't remember the selling price but it is about half the price it was when it first came out. If you're keen, I'll check out the price on Monday when I am back at work.
Garmin Nuvi 710.jpg
Garmin Nuvi 710.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I'm keen...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The 710 /760 very similar are both very nice units!

U can contact FD at 11H33 tomorrow morning, just to see how accurate it is.... :lol: :lol:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Which GPS unit to choose - Entry, but enough to load rou

Post by Traveler »

Bit late on this topic.

I've been using the 215W loaded with T4A (inside SA) without any challenges to it's abilities. Used it the first time last year on Sani Pass and through Lesotho without T4A.

But now I'll be getting a Nuvi500 specifically for off road use.

Know what you don't know.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Petrusd wrote: I hear that you can install Garmin on a Nokia Navigator (6110) and then upload all the maps that you need from the Garmap DVD (around R100 from outdoor wharehouse)

You`ll then have all the functions of the top-end garmin models :shifty: .... + a cell phone
True but you still need to buy the key to unlock the maps. I have Garmin Mobile XT installed on my Nokia N95 8Gb and it works like a charm and also chows the battery like a charm.
DustySFA wrote:Hi guys,

thanks

Clayton

Depending on the amount you want to spend. I can recommend a tablet PC with a 7" touch screen with Garmin Mobile PC installed on it. You then have a highly accurate GPS (with trackback / bread crum trail) and also a fully functional PC for the same price as Garmin GPS units. You can PM me if you need more info regarding price etc.

In the image below it shows it's native Horizon something routing software...
To God be the glory
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

Ek ry baie die woestyn in en my Garmin 276C het my nog nooit in die steek gelaat nie. :thumbup: Wel n duurder opsie maar seker een van die bestes vir overlanding toere waar daar nie teerpaaie is nie. Ek verkies maar om van punt A na punt B deur die woestyn aan te pak net vir die lekker daarvan. So terloops, ek is in Saudi Arabia dus die liefde vir die woestyn.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”