Navstar 220 radio? of nie?

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Navstar 220 radio? of nie?

Post by Polarbear2008 »

I would imagine that F_D would be able to give an unbiased answer here. I am shopping around for a minimal (read trail) use of a 29meg radio for my 4x4. Prices are a bit rich (to say the least!) and so shopping around led me to Navstar.

I believe that they come from the same factory as the Dragon radios (so I've been told?)

Are they any good as the price is quite keen and the specs (according to what I could find) quite close to Dragon and the others.

I would appreciate input on the pro's and con's of Navstar, especially from a NAvstar owner! :wth:

Thanks in advance.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Navstar 220 radio? of nie?

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Theunis, why 29meg? imo rather look long term!!! VHF club frequency :thumbup:

If you can get a 29meg for R50.00, perhaps.....these radio's are lying around everywhere....
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I know I won't be answering your question but here is some food for thought.

On our latest GTG we were driving in convoy. I have a VHF and a 29Mhz in my bakkie so I could basic hear all the talking going around and also relaying messages where necessary. My point I am trying to make is that at one stage someone on the 29Mhz radio's commented that one of our guys came trough beautifully and crystal clear but they were not sure whom. And the next time I transmitted he said "daai ene"! So the radio I was using seemed to have the superior transmission abilities and reception as well. So it might be worth your while to look at a bid more expensive brand. I haev the GME GX300 in my bakkie which I bought from FD.

But and this is a big but. Even though the GX300 is superior in TX/RX it comes no where even close to a VHF radio.
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Theunis, I know very little about the Navstar brand. It appears that the local Navstar organisation folded some years ago, but it seems someone else is bringing them in now under the same brand name. I checked the pricing on the Internet and I found a price of R1458, which is in the same ball park as the GX300, which we sell at R1485.00.

I used to punt for the Dragon brand, purely on price alone because I felt the price was reasonable for what one was buying. But the prices of AM radios went through the roof some years ago and they never seem to have recovered, whereas VHF FM radio prices did come down again as the local currency strengthened. An AM antenna is more expensive than the equivalent VHF antenna, so at the end of the day for a premium of around R200 extra, one could purchase a VHF mobile radio complete with antenna instead of a 29 MHz AM radio.

Be aware that the only "new" technology 29MHz AM radio is the GX300, both the Dragon and the Navstar utilise "old" technology and sooner or later the components they use are going to become scarce. A major feature of the GX300 compared to the other brands is its method of construction, they utilise "surface mount components" which are placed directly on the printed circuit board, thus no wire leads to break off under vibration. It happens, we've seen this fairly often. SMD components coupled to modern circuitry result in drastic size reduction, as is obvious when one looks at the various radios.

In short: The type of radio you use is dependent upon what those around you are using. Price is a factor, but when the price of an AM radio approaches over 90% of a comparable VHF FM radio, then it might be time to carefully weigh up your options. On the reliability factor, the GX300 is the clear winner, but consider also that most dealers do not want to repair 29MHz radios as the components are not readily available and the cost of repairs can easily exceed what the radio is really worth.

I've attempted to provide you with some additional points to consider, the main point is either AM radios are priced too high, or VHF radios are sold too cheaply. I guess it's all a matter of quantities moved.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Theunis.
I have a Navstar 220.The only positive about the radio is the size.Nice and slim.
I had a few problems but luckily our local comms guy where able to solder some connections.
Listen F_D and Cassies advice.
My 2c is if you get a cheap second hand one then why not.But do not buy a new one.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Theunis, I know very little about the Navstar brand. It appears that the local Navstar organisation folded some years ago, but it seems someone else is bringing them in now under the same brand name. I checked the pricing on the Internet and I found a price of R1458, which is in the same ball park as the GX300, which we sell at R1485.00.
I have just checked the internet pricing again, as I was most surprised to see the Navstar even listed. But this time I noticed the date of the comprehensive price list... 17 April 2002!!

As far as I know, this unit is entirely out of production now.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”