500watt inverter

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

500watt inverter

Post by george »

Howzit

I have a 500watt inverter and would like know more or less how much currant it will draw.The reason is that on Sheila it was wired into the dual battery system with pretty thick cables. On my new van i do not want to have it "hard wired" but want to have it more of a mobile unit. My thinking was to use 4mm cable to be able to use on a hella plug. Somehow I feel that it is not going to handle the amps. Will it be better to use 8mm cable with crocodile clips(which I do not really want to do)

I also see there is 3x25amp fuses on the inverter.is this for the 12v Input or the 220v output.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 500watt inverter

Post by OOOOMS »

You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting gallons to miles). HOWEVER, if you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts and watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

But by my calculation you will be drawing 41 amps, and a 10mm cable will handle about 60Amp (4mm approx 35Amp)

The lengh of the cable from the battery will be critical, the shorter the better :thumbup:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Thanks Mark.
that is quite a lot :think:
how do you set up your 1kva inverters :?:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

george wrote:Thanks Mark.
that is quite a lot :think:
how do you set up your 1kva inverters :?:
Actually 1.5kw, but let's not fuss about that now....they are supplied with 25mm x 1 metre cable. These are not to be extended. If you do, you will loose power to your inverter
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Actually 1.5kw, but let's not fuss about that now....they are supplied with 25mm x 1 metre cable. These are not to be extended. If you do, you will loose power to your inverter
OK :thumbup:
I guess you connect them straight to the battery. What connectors do you use?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Cables are pre wired to fit onto the battery and inverter.

I would recommend connecting a ring terminal to your battery and to an Anderson plug. This way you can remove it easily when required and pack the inverter somewhere safe.
http://www.truechoice.com/products.asp?dept=1068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that hepls?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Thanks Mark :thumbup:

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”