Small camera

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Small camera

Post by Traveler »

I want to get myself a smaller camera that can fit into a pocket of a jacket or a pair of cargo pants.

Zoom is not too important, but I'd like to have a nice something of 8-10 megapixels.

Any advice, this genre of camera is completely unknown to me.

Know what you don't know.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Re: Small camera

Post by 3RZ »

I bought a Nikon L22 for a pocket Camera to supplement my Canon SX 20IS and I must say I am pleasantly surpised with the performance for a camera costing R999 at Makro. Uses two penlight AA batteries so it is not as flat as it could be but I wanted something with penlights so this did not bother me.

12 Megapixels
3x optical zoom
3" LCD
2 year extended warranty supported by Nikon S.A.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The little Canon's are not too bad either.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sony Optio - kyk maar ook gerus :thumbup:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I agree with Willem, look for something with penlight batteries, it is just so much more prectical than having something with a special battery.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The pocket type cams with pen-light batteries are also quite a lot cheaper.

My one has batteries , the other has a rechargable battery.

I prefer the one with the rechargable battery by far! Wich lasts a lot longer than the penlite battery's
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Use a decent re-chargeable penlight battery, like "GP", and you have the best of both worlds, plus you can use 'off the shelf' penlights if you have forgotten your charger behind. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Thanks for the advice up to this point. Some things to consider which I have not thought of.

MD, agree with you I have a stack of rechargeable AA and AAA size batteries for all the toys at home.

kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

self have a Canon G7, no longer available!!
the current model is the G11

takes great pics, and is used by many professionals as the back up camera!!

as is the norm the issue of the batteries comes up
these come with a unique rechargeable battery, and they do last for ever!!
have been told they are good for around 400 photos between recharges
dont know, have never taken that many in one day!!

have a look at the G11, they are not the cheapest around 6k, however believe them to be tops of the compacts!!

here is a sample pic on an overcast day!!

can only post this size

few more pics on the link
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5761 ... GM?start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we cant take pics, however this camera makes us look like pros!!

hope this helps!!
:reading: :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Very nice picture. Very well framed, and all in focus.

Big Al
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE d/c 2x4

Post by Big Al »

i agree with all and just my 2c.
-high optical zoom (with macro facility,but not a must).
-min 8 meg pixels (note eye will not see much difference after 8 and only needed if enlarging over A4).
-high refresh rate.
-battery only becomes a problem when excessive use of flash.
-simple ergonomics and easy ti access controls.
last but not least good memory card with fat refresh rate.
it like they say you get what you pay for,buy cheap and soon you will want to upgrade costing the same.

enjoy hunt.
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

you guys are not going to believe this!!!!!!!

wife killed the camera today!!!! :angry2: :angry2: :irate:

so now it will get repaired or replaced!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Al
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE d/c 2x4

Post by Big Al »

good excuse to buy a new one without any guilt.

:drinks: :drinks:
Attachments
IMG_0031a.jpg
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Another excellent picture. WOW.

I've looked at the Kodak as well today, was impressed for what you can get at the price.

kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Traveler wrote:Another excellent picture. WOW.

I've looked at the Kodak as well today, was impressed for what you can get at the price.

now we are on a similar path!!

need to admit that I am a little disappointed with how my G7 had died only after 3.5 years, yes great pics!!! still!!! :dash:
did not take much to kill it!! regardless of what happened!!
if my phone was to dies every time any little thing happened, then would need a new cell every month!!

friend (actually never met, know each other from other hobby ) he takes pics for a few publications, and has posted some nature pics that he has taken with a kodac, and as a result am now looking a little in that direction!!

not sure if his FB page is open could well be, and the comets are there also!!
looks like he is using Kodak Z1015 IS

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... =699275123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so will see what choices will come up!!
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

sorry that is not the same guys who takes pics for some publications!! any case, great pics from a Kodac!! :mrgreen:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

I read an article in a popular mechanics that many camera manufacturers use Kodak internals in their cameras.

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Seeing it will be a hard working camera, I decided to take my budget, buy a Hi-Lift (from Len at Onca), and use the rest for a camera. :mrgreen:

Got myself the Kodak M340. All my previous experiences has been very positive with Kodak, and I am not looking for an SLR (yet).....

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/e ... .145091700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

There's a lot to be said for a decent SLR. Of course you're going to have to cough :D: .... recently bought a Canon 450D. Very happy so far. :winkx:

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

The SLR EOS I have my eye on is probably going to cost R8k for the body.

andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

kodak easyshare C182
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
dizzy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Melbourne
Vehicle: N80 2.8 SR5

Post by dizzy »

Have a look at the Olympus SW cameras.
Not sure of the current range, but they are shock proof and water proof. Great value for money P&S.
Daryl Human
-------------

If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk about fish to a starving man then you are a consultant.

-- Dilbert
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

personally I like Canon's stuff... but from my years as a photographic salesman... the olympus optics in the small camera's are excellent!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The Kodak cameras are in my opinion not that wonderful ... good value for money yes, but seriously lacking in build quality. The Olympus cameras are quite a bit better with fair to good build quality and more than reasonable optics. What I like about the Olympus SLR's is that the image stabilization is built into the body (on the CCD) which means that your lenses are much cheaper since they are not individually stabilised like the Canon's and the Nikon's. Where Olympus falls down, I think, is in the actual size of the CCD's ... they're much smaller than those of Canon & Nikon. This means that all the picture detail is crammed onto a smaller surface ... less definition.
At the end of the day it comes down to what you want to do with the camera and how big or small your purse / allocation is. :winkx:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The Canon 450D is just one step above their entry level SLR's. This pic was taken today in a 45km/h wind, hand held, ISO 100 (F-stop & shutter on auto) with the standard 18-55 mm lens.

Resized from original resolution
IMG4244A.JPG
This is a cropping from the same pic at full resolution (Cannot display, you will have to open the link)
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57 ... G4244B.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's not bad given the adverse conditions. Had there been no movement of the subject and the camera mounted on a tripod using a remote shutter release, it would have been crystal clear.

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Andy match that 450D with a better Canon lense and the results are awesome... take a look at the range here: http://www.orms.co.za/browse.php?a=brow ... ategory=55

Something like the 17-55mm F2.8 would do nicely!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The standard lens is 18-55mm f4.5 (image stabilised) .... and that's not too bad. Agreed though, the f2.8 will give better results and an improved depth of field. Such a pity that I can't use all my old filters and lenses ... (telephoto / macro / fish-eye / wide angle / 2x converter) ... because they're incompatible. :(

I have full range catalogues but I still look in at "Orms" every now and then to see what's new or on special. Will have to build up all new equipment again and have been looking rather seriously at the Sigma range of lenses. :think: For now though, I'll just have to go along with Swambs, who tells me I can "wish in one hand and spit in the other"! :lol:

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Back in my photographer days I had an awesome Canon setup... and to think I sold it all to buy a PC? :crazy: :wth: :shock3:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mr_B wrote:Back in my photographer days I had an awesome Canon setup... and to think I sold it all to buy a PC? :crazy: :wth: :shock3:
You're probably talking 35mm film .... in which case you did well, cos you get next to nothing for them now ... not even the lenses. :think:

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”