FM Radio Antenna.

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

FM Radio Antenna.

Post by Gertc »

I bought a new FM radio antenna from Midas about a year ago. From day one it was flimsy. No matter how hard I tried to tighten it would tend to come loose and it started rusting. And the reception was bad. :alvarin:
Then I went and got a VHF antenna from Family_Dog and fitted it in the same place the old FM antenna used to be. WOW what a difference. Suddenly my reception is back to standard and it looks goood on the Hilux. No more reception problems. :thumbup:

:veryhappy: A BIG THANKS to Family_Dog. :veryhappy:
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: FM Radio Antenna.

Post by Family_Dog »

That is a big pleasure, Gert!

Now I will replace PraDog's flimsy aftermarket antenna with a Zara60 and see how it performs there! Can only be a vast improvement. ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Eric... you don't perhaps have some descent bee-sting type aerials? The combo I've got in my car is totally useless. I still need to inspect the setup to see if it might be a grounding issue etc but the aerial might make a huge difference. Also considering buying a booster from Autostyle to amplify the signal a bit
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Cassie, no we only stock the communications type antennas. A booster has its place, but remember it can also amplify any noise signals that might be present as well. Nobody seems to import the decent German Hirschmann & Podig Antennas anymore, they would be just too expensive. The cheaper variety that the shops do now sell are not worth much, they are either very weak where the fixing nut is (usually just plastic thread nowadays) and the co-ax cable is cheap & nasty, allowing interference to enter into the radio front end.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:Cassie, no we only stock the communications type antennas. A booster has its place, but remember it can also amplify any noise signals that might be present as well. Nobody seems to import the decent German Hirschmann & Podig Antennas anymore, they would be just too expensive. The cheaper variety that the shops do now sell are not worth much, they are either very weak where the fixing nut is (usually just plastic thread nowadays) and the co-ax cable is cheap & nasty, allowing interference to enter into the radio front end.

-F_D
Thanks Eric
To God be the glory

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”