Nikon D90 PRICE AND LENS?

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

Nikon D90 PRICE AND LENS?

Post by Bester »

I'm looking at buying a Nikon D90 and got the following prices:

D90 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses R9 499 at Makro (this includes a bad and 4GB memory card).

D90 with 18-105 and 55-300 VR lenses R12 500 at ORMS (no extras included).

What deal do I go for? As far as I understand the lenses at ORMS are not strandard kit lenses and therefor more expensive. Is this the best lens combination to go for or should I consider something else - I want to take wildlife photos as well as get my wife to take photos at my enduro races. My wife will mostly use it for taking photos of the kids and some landscape photos (and hopefully at the races!).
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Nikon D90 PRICE AND LENS?

Post by Bester »

Waar is die manne met die kennis? Deel asb bietjie advies - ek wil nie verkeerd koop nie.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

When I buy cameras i get it from
http://17photo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know Nikon that well but i do believe that their lenses are rather good quality
Most of the times lenses with the same brand name as the camera are rather expensive and not always the best quality, that is why many people buys the body and then rather opt for a Tamron or Sigma lens. Tamron and Sigma specializes in manufacturing lenses, not cameras and companies like Nikon specialize in manufacturing cameras, not lenses.

Tamron is the better of the two but also the more expensive.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Dankie Pieter, aangesien ek nuut in die storie is wil ek graag oor 'n toonbank koop waar ek verdere hulp kan kry soos benodig - ek is bietjie skrikkerig vir deur die pos bestel.

Volgens die verkoopsman by ORMS is die Nikkor lens wat hulle aanbeveel se "specs" beter as die Sigma (ek wou eers net die body en 'n Sigma 18-200 lens vat).
Watter groottee lens is die beste om mee te begin om soveel as moontlik van ons vereistes te voldoen?
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Vir wildlife het jy seker nooit 'n grrot genoeg lens nie.
Ek dink vior ons gewone ouens is 'n beginpunt ten minste 'n 300mm lens.
Probeer iets kry wat van wyd (18mm) tot telefoto (300mm) gaan.

Ek het 'n 70-300 en dit is 'n frustrasie, as jy sommer net fotos om jou wil neem is 70 te groot en moet ek aanmekaar die ander lense opsit, dan sien jy weer 'n bok in die verte en jy moet weer die zoom aansit. Die ou gewone kamers se standaard lense was 50mm. Dus dink ek om daai probleem van my te oorkom moet jou laagste nommer van jou zoom nie groter wees as 50mm nie, 70 is regtig net net te groot.

Ek weet die regte fotograwe gaan vir jou se 'n zoom lens se gehalte is nie so goed soos regte telefoto nie, maar vir ek en jy se fotos is dit goed.

Stem saam Nikor is beter as Sigma.

Die groot wild fotograwe het 500mm of groter telefoto lense. 'n Telefoto lens kan nie in en uit zoom nie dit is 'n vaste lengte. Daai goed kos R50k en op.

Kyk gerus vir iets wat s0 18-300mm is of 'n 35-300mm
As jy groter as 300mm kan kry is dit beter, 300 is net net nuttig vir wildfotografie en gereeld voel dit of jy net daai bietjie ekstra kort, maar prys speel 'n groot rol as jy groter as 300mm gaan.

Jou lens is belangrik, dit bepaal die kwaliteit van jou beeld, hoe beter jou lens hoe skerper jou fotos.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Dankie Pieter, ek sal bietjie rondkyk
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Bester,

In terms of lens quality, the bigger the zoom extent, the bigger the quality compromise. A large zoom extent in a single lens may be very handy, but they tend to suffer from barrel distortion, edge blurring at the widest angle, and other optical anomalies, this because of the extra glasses elements in the lens, the less lense elements, the better the quality! With most kits today the standard lens is a 18-55mm, they are entry level lenses, a decent body like the D90, with 12million pixel sensor with soon show up it's short comings. Note as well that both lenses are F3.5/5.6, but the standard one is 5.6 @ 55mm, where the 18-105mm is @ F5.6 @ 105mm... in other words it lets more light in... which in photographic terms is better. For sports photography a 300mm will be adequate to start with, but this is heavily dependant on how far she is from the action! As a compromise you could look at a good quality tele-converter(say 1.5x), this will extend the zoom range of a 55-300mm to 82-450mm, but will negatively effect the F-stop and final image quality. I know the pro guys frown on tele-converters, but they are a fraction of the cost of a comparable lense, even Sigma & Tamron's. Something else I would add to the kit, is a decent mono-pod(Manfrotto??), these allow mobility while still giving you stability, that camera can get heavy on a long day's shooting. The guys at Orms are very knowledgable, I dealt with Stephen for many years when I was still in the game, and the advice & service were always top class!

Whatever you decide the Nikon D90 is an excellent prosumer body, and that's coming from a Canon fan!
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

So I finally bought my wife her christmas gift :twisted: !

Got the D90 with 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. Once we have mastered the camera we will look at other lens options. Already took some photos and really happy with the kit!
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Congratulations Bester, I PM'ed you a gift that goes with the camera.
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Dankie Pieter!
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”