Another VHF question/s

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Another VHF question/s

Post by ismail »

Hi guys, on the LCCSA forum one of their radio guys is selling 2 HYT TC-500 vhf radios,

1. Are these the same as the club's ones that Thys rents out.
2. He said he'll program them for me to ORRA ch 1 & 2 but does not know the frequencies. Can someone tell me it (not sure if it is an appropriate question to ask on air)
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Another VHF question/s

Post by CasKru »

ismail wrote:Hi guys, on the LCCSA forum one of their radio guys is selling 2 HYT TC-500 vhf radios,

1. Are these the same as the club's ones that Thys rents out.
2. He said he'll program them for me to ORRA ch 1 & 2 but does not know the frequencies. Can someone tell me it (not sure if it is an appropriate question to ask on air)
Unfortunately that is a well kept secret. AFAIK the HYT is not bad. They are similar to the ones the club rents out. The ones the club has is Kirisun PT4200 handsets.
To God be the glory
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

so basically, it needs to be programmed an appropriate person then, who in Cape Town could do this for me.

or is it better to get one of those self scanning units, dont think this TC500 has that function??
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

ismail wrote:so basically, it needs to be programmed an appropriate person then, who in Cape Town could do this for me.

or is it better to get one of those self scanning units, dont think this TC500 has that function??
The self scanning ones I think you refer to is scanning channels pre-set in the unit. If you are refering to the HAM radios, yes they can scan but it is illegal to own one of these if you haven't done your radio amateur licence.
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I saw that ad, over-priced. Not one of my favourite radios, but for simple occasional use will be OK. We have tested them and they are not up to our requirements. The Club radios are Kirisun PT4200 portables, a far better choice. Kirisun also have a low budget radio in the PT3500 series, but once again, they are not really up to our required standards and we would rather not stock them.

If you're serious abaout 4x4, buy a Hilux. If you're serious about a radio system, buy something good! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”