Rechargeable batteries for camera

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Rechargeable batteries for camera

Post by george »

Hi Guys.
On my recent trip my camera's rechargebale batterie packed up again :thumbdown: Luckily I had spare Duracells.
When I bought the camera i got "hahnel" AA rechargeable and they lasted a year.Then I got "uniross" and i dont even think that they lasted a year.Is this the standard life cycle of batteries?
Is there a specific brand that you will recommend?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Rechargeable batteries for camera

Post by OOOOMS »

George, I bought some Duracell rechargable AA 2000mAh and must say am most impressed with them :thumbup: Best I have had so far :wink2:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

OOOOMS wrote:George, I bought some Duracell rechargable AA 2000mAh and must say am most impressed with them :thumbup: Best I have had so far :wink2:
I didn't know duracell had rechargeable batteries.Will look out for them.Where did you get them from?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek is weer 'n groot fan van Uniross.

Iets wat jy dalk net moet seker maak wat dalk kan veroorsaak dat jou batterye nie hou nie is dat jou charger wat jy het se rating hoër is as die batterye sin. So m.a.w. jy sit dalk 2000mAh batterye in 'n charger wat 2500mAh gerate is.

Ek gebruik die Uniross 2500mAh en ek is happy met hulle. Ek hou weer nie van die Duracell en Eveready rechargebles nie
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

george wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:George, I bought some Duracell rechargable AA 2000mAh and must say am most impressed with them :thumbup: Best I have had so far :wink2:
I didn't know duracell had rechargeable batteries.Will look out for them.Where did you get them from?
Bought em from the WW boutique :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

hilux (Medium).jpg
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

CasKru wrote:Ek is weer 'n groot fan van Uniross.

Iets wat jy dalk net moet seker maak wat dalk kan veroorsaak dat jou batterye nie hou nie is dat jou charger wat jy het se rating hoër is as die batterye sin. So m.a.w. jy sit dalk 2000mAh batterye in 'n charger wat 2500mAh gerate is.

Ek gebruik die Uniross 2500mAh en ek is happy met hulle. Ek hou weer nie van die Duracell en Eveready rechargebles nie
Ek dink ek het die Uniross juis op jou aanbeveling gekoop.
Ek dink jy slaan die spyker op sy kop :alvarin: Ek het nou na die charger gekyk en sy output is maar"DC2.8/5.5v 800ma" :shock: En die batterye is 2700 mah.
Ek het seker nou die battery opgeneuk :(
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

george wrote:
CasKru wrote:Ek is weer 'n groot fan van Uniross.

Ek dink ek het die Uniross juis op jou aanbeveling gekoop.
Ek dink jy slaan die spyker op sy kop :alvarin: Ek het nou na die charger gekyk en sy output is maar"DC2.8/5.5v 800ma" :shock: En die batterye is 2700 mah.
Ek het seker nou die battery opgeneuk :(
Ek dink so... jy het die battery nooit vol gelaai nie en ek vermoed dit het 'n baie negatiewe impak. Toe ek my Uniross batterye gekoop het, het ek dit as deel van 'n bundle gekoop wat die charger etc in gesluit het. Maar enige charger wat 2700mAh gee sal daai batterye kan charge
To God be the glory
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

AI so leer 'n mens ook :dash:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

GP (NiMH) 2500 mAh ...... use their charger. Pro quality, can't go wrong and not that much more expensive than the rest. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Also a Uniross supporter, have the 2500mAh cells & charger. Had them almost 3 years; starting to fade now, not keeping charge anymore.

NiCad & Nimh batteries are funny, they only reach full capacity after a few charge/discharge cycles, and you have to use them regularly. The less they're used the shorter the lifespan it seems.
Also if yours has the 2/4 cell switch make sure you're on the correct setting.

Not too sure about the current rating of the charger; those are meant to be semi-smart chargers and with Nicad/NiMh cells the voltage & temp are critical. Most chargers work on these priciples, so a smaller rating charger should just take longer. :think: The big no-no's are overcharging & overheating. :acute:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I went to Orms and the guy convince me to get the "hahnel" synergy batteries.i spoke to him about the charger since the new one also have an output of 800mah.He more or less explained it like Stef. So it looks like the uniross just decided to pack up
IMG_4372 (Small).JPG
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

This is the ONLY batteries that ORMS stocks. (as per photo in previous post)

happy so far .... touch wood
venom38
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: hilux d4d

Post by venom38 »

Most rechargeables these days are nimh. (the older ones were Ni-Cad) The new thing on the market however are the pre-charged or ready charged ones. They keep between 70-85% (depending on make) of their charge after lying in a cupboard for a year thus you don't need to charge them every time. (Most NiMH batteries can be recharged between 800-1000 times (This is what the packet says, the truth is much closer to 400 times)) These new type nimh batteries also seems to last longer although they take less charge - for instance the best ready charged batteries currently are between 2000 and 2500 while normal older tech batteries usually starts at 2700.

Most batteries that you buy these days are good and most of them comes from one of 3-4 factories (usually sanyo) I prefer uniross/powerex/gp but duracell, hahnell, energizer,sanyo are all good - especially if they say precharged/eneloop/stay charged/ready to go/recyco ect ect. (yanks swear by eneloops)

Chargers are another thing to watch out for. Most fast chargers (anything less than 8 hours) will do a OK job but will reduce your lifetime on the batteries to about 200 charges. The exception are the ones the batteries came with (if used with the same batteries) and your really good chargers like maha. Slower chargers tend to be more friendly towards different makes (12-16 hour chargers) of batteries

Above has been my experiences with various brands of batteries and chargers.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Uniross fan as well and had them for 3 years as well and still going strong

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”