Tyre monitors - worth it or not

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Tyre monitors - worth it or not

Post by jacques kotze »

Have anyone tried these tyre monitors? They are not very expensive,R1550 incl. With 6 x tyre monitors and the unit. I'm thinking of getting myself a unit. But is it really working and is it worth the money?
Cheers :thumbup:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Tyre monitors - worth it or not

Post by ChrisF »

YES, and NO ....

in 2009 I got a puncture in the one rear tire and nearly went over the cliff around bend ! A tire pressure monitor would have warned me of the drop in pressure drop.

reading all the thread the following is stopping me from buying a set :
- these units can get stolen
- some units are prone to damage
- if one unit breaks you have to buy a whole new set
- some units giving anoying alarms when you have deliberately deflated the tires for off road driving

PLEASE NOTE - these are issues that I have read about on this forum. I am sure (HOPE) that the newer generation should have addressed these issues.

PS - the units dont fit on the metal rims of my Hilux .....
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

The only issue I know regarding them (well not reaaly the equipment) is that they get stolen...
Sent from my iPhone
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks for the useful info Chris. The part that screw on to the wheel can be bought for R188 ea. But I'm still not sure if I have to go that route. . .Anyone else want to comment ??
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I believe it's definitely worth the money if you can afford. Tha last thing you need on our type of vehicles is a blow out at speed. One can make plans with theft and stuff. It would be nice thought if it had an off road setting for a lower tyre pressure.
To God be the glory
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

I have a set. I regard it as a safety device. This particular set "learns" quickly but I must confess it still gives false alarms, I must still set it up correctly. I like the fact that the receiver's battery is rechargeble, the senders use replacable batteries.

Even if they are prone to theft, I regard them as essential, they definitely saved me a few tyres over the past years. Who will steal them in any case? Fellow 4x4 drivers? If they steal them, good luck to them, if it will save a life.

What's the price of a tyre, or a rolled vehicle, or injuries, or even death?

Bargain at the price.....
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Must agree with Chris.

Coming home from the YEGTG today, an old Mercedes came past us on the N1 at approximately 130 km/h. It was not sounding healthy and I then noticed the right rear tyre was flat and at that second the tyre started to disintegrate, the driver pulled the steering left and hit the brakes, I also braked and he passed in front of us and hit a tree on the left flinging one of his passengers into the road and another person through the windscreen – It was really ugly. A couple of cars stopped and we assisted the injured as best we could – The police and paramedics arrived about 10 minutes later

I think a good quality tyre monitor could have made a difference and I’m definitely getting one!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

SuidWes wrote:Must agree with Chris.

Coming home from the YEGTG today, an old Mercedes came past us on the N1 at approximately 130 km/h. It was not sounding healthy and I then noticed the right rear tyre was flat and at that second the tyre started to disintegrate, the driver pulled the steering left and hit the brakes, I also braked and he passed in front of us and hit a tree on the left flinging one of his passengers into the road and another person through the windscreen – It was really ugly. A couple of cars stopped and we assisted the injured as best we could – The police and paramedics arrived about 10 minutes later

I think a good quality tyre monitor could have made a difference and I’m definitely getting one!
Jis... jammer om te hoor julle moes so experience deur maak. Baie bly julle is veilig.

Daai is seker die grootste fout wat mense maak... moenie die briek trap nie... los net die petrol en laat die voertuig tot stilstand kom sonder om briek te trap
To God be the glory
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

I think after reading all the comments I must get a set. On they're website they write that you can set the monitors to the pressure you want. So I think if you want to drive on sand at 0.8 bar you can set the monitors accordingly and you won't get alarms every 5 seconds. But I'm sure there will be the false alarm every now and then. But I think the pros out weighs the cons.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Just to clear up the false alarm, it doesn't influence the functioning of the system, it's just annoying. If a tyre get a hole, you immediately know the difference and you see how the pressure decrease.
And like I said, theft wasn't a problem for me yet. You can always have a hole drilled/machined on the inside of the rim, and install a extra valve there, out of sight and you'll never have a theft problem.
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Jacques, hier is 'n thread oor die sisteem:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16007&hilit=tyre+pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

OOOOMS wrote:Jacques, hier is 'n thread oor die sisteem:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16007&hilit=tyre+pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dankie oooms, het gesien daar is alreeds n topic oor die monitors, ek het dit seker maar net gemis of iets. Cheers.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jacques kotze wrote:

Dankie oooms, het gesien daar is alreeds n topic oor die monitors, ek het dit seker maar net gemis of iets. Cheers.
Toemaar jy's vergewe, ons verstaan.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

I have these and, as correctly stated, consider them as a safety item.

The nice thing about the JET 400 is the amount of wheels it can monitor, so if you tow a trailer or caravan then it covers the entire rig - incl spares, one would have to buy extra sensors. I think this system is a must especially when travelling long distances / overlanding etc.

If you are deflating the tyres for off road, etc then all you do is reset the indicative pressure that you want.

what I also like is that the system is easily transferable. I run them on my day to day vehicle and when going away in the Lux, I simply transfer them across. You just gotta make sure you transfer wheel for wheel otherwise you need to reset the system.

Regarding the sensors being stolen - the package comes with an anti-theft device that locks the sensors onto the valve - the only thing is that you must keep the allen key close at hand when you want to deflate or inflate.

There is a small batch, recent batch, where the monitor gives a false error on No5, but an e-mail came out from the distributor this morning acknowledging this and are recalling the monitors for exchange.

My 2C's opinion - worth the money, nice Xmas pressie for the gadget type.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Dingo wrote:I have these and, as correctly stated, consider them as a safety item.

The nice thing about the JET 400 is the amount of wheels it can monitor, so if you tow a trailer or caravan then it covers the entire rig - incl spares, one would have to buy extra sensors. I think this system is a must especially when travelling long distances / overlanding etc.

If you are deflating the tyres for off road, etc then all you do is reset the indicative pressure that you want.

what I also like is that the system is easily transferable. I run them on my day to day vehicle and when going away in the Lux, I simply transfer them across. You just gotta make sure you transfer wheel for wheel otherwise you need to reset the system.

Regarding the sensors being stolen - the package comes with an anti-theft device that locks the sensors onto the valve - the only thing is that you must keep the allen key close at hand when you want to deflate or inflate.

There is a small batch, recent batch, where the monitor gives a false error on No5, but an e-mail came out from the distributor this morning acknowledging this and are recalling the monitors for exchange.

My 2C's opinion - worth the money, nice Xmas pressie for the gadget type.
Thanks for the input, this giving me peace of mind buying a set. :thumbup:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

OOOOMS wrote:
jacques kotze wrote:

Toemaar jy's vergewe, ons verstaan.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ag baie dankie oooms. . .almal het maar hulle foute, al is myne nou om goed mis te kyk :tongue:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The Bikers amongst you can win a set!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

How long do the batteries last in the sender units? Does the system have some sort of flat battery alarm? Can the senders take rechargable batteries?

Tx.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”