Battery Charger, Solar, Alternator chargers

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Battery Charger, Solar, Alternator chargers

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

1. Can I charge my two deep cycle batteries with the DC2DC and solar panels at the same time, or if I stop at a site with electricity can I connect the normal battery charge and the solar pannels at the same time. So if I charge with the normal charger at 10amps and the solar at 5amps am I charging at 15 amps.

2. Or Must I make sure that there is only one charging system charging at a time

Thanks

(also posted this on the other forum)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Battery Charger, Solar, Alternator chargers

Post by Mud Dog »

Use only one at a time if the batteries are permanently coupled, Barry (If juice is available, hook up the normal charger)..... if you are able to separate the charge then you can use both.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks Andy
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I use solar and charger at the same time.

Solar permanently connected to batteries and charging mainly takes place in the afternoon / evening
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Now confused....
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Google Ctek 250S Dual, it charge from the alternator and solar panels simultaneously, but what ever your setup is one can use all simultaneously, alternator/solar panels/generator/dc2dc, or any charger, with the correct setup. The solar panels having higher volts then the alternator, so it might use that amps 'first'.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Johan Kriel wrote:Google Ctek 250S Dual, it charge from the alternator and solar panels simultaneously, but what ever your setup is one can use all simultaneously, alternator/solar panels/generator/dc2dc, or any charger, with the correct setup. The solar panels having higher volts then the alternator, so it might use that amps 'first'.
Tx Johan :thumbup:

A bit off topic......but may assist others.....

Can one use say x2 (ie. a 10A and a 7A) chargers (diff Amp/h) on one battery simultaniously :?:
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Mark, teoreties ja, as die volts van beide laaiers priesies dieselfde is gaan jy 17 amp kry, maar as die een bietjie hoer volt het as die ander een gaan feitlik net die een werk wat die hoer volts het, wat hy onderdruk die ander een met die laer volts, so dan gaan jy beslis minder amps as die 10 +7 kry.

So jy kan alles gelyk koppel maar of dit gaan help om vinnger te laai is die vraag. Party mag dalk niks doen as die se volts te laag is en party gaan dalk net gedeeltelik werk. (Die laaiers word beskerm deur n eenrigting diode, so die hoe volt outjies kan nie die swakker outjies laat smelt nie, maar verhoed net dat die swakker outjies iets doen.)
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If you want to hook them up together then you would require the correct regulators and electronic gadgetry to make it work simultaneously. Too much hassle for too little gain, I think. Maybe something with diodes so that the charge can't 'leak' back to the weaker charger.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Can one use say x2 (ie. a 10A and a 7A) chargers (diff Amp/h) on one battery simultaniously :?:
You could, but you shouldn't. Apart from the risk of overcharging the battery, you are faced with two different charging voltages connected to the battery - highly unlikely that the two chargers will be exactly the same.

Both charger will already have diodes so so chance on any feedback, but still not a good idea unless you use current-limiting resistors in each charger, which will reduce the charge voltage as well.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

OK dankie julle, dit maak sin :thumbup:

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”