Dual Battery System

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Dual Battery System

Post by Aquanaut »

Hi, I have just bought the NL dual battery charge & control system.
I would like to know if it would be better to have a removable aux battery in a box or have the aux battery permantly installed in the engin compartment, and how would this affect the performance of the vehicle?
Basil
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Re: Dual Battery System

Post by 4x4Maniac »

I have the NL installed, and has no interference. Batteries are heavy and bulky, I fitted mine at the back of the bak, as there weren't really space in engine bay without mods. I'd rather have a single place where a Db board is installed, and further route the wires from there, m2cw
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357242742.362014.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357242742.362014.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Jy moet besluit of jy jou battery wil kan uithaal en iewers anders gebruik, en of jy dit in die bakkie wil los en daar gebruik. Altwee werk great. onner die bonnet is dit uit die pad en spaar jou pakplek! :thumbup:
Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Hi Basil

If you have the space in the engine compartment that would be most convenient, as long as you keep in mind (and I have read this all over the internet) that the temperatures in the engine compartment are not condusive to long battery life.

I personally bought the NL battery box (second hand) for 2 reasons:

1. It is all in one - not to much that can go wrong
2. It can easily be removed and used at the campsite, should I need to, or if the lux needs to go for service or if I need the loadbox for something other than camping.

If the battery is not going to be mounted in the engine bay, I would suggest it live in a box as most batteries have the tendency to spill battery acid at some or other point, and not even rubberising can withstand that type of acid! There is also less chance of damage to the battery should something slide around in the loadbox and rather hit the battery box than the battery case!

There should be no difference to the performance of the vehicle, as long as the alternator is strong enough to charge both batteries. Remember that there is a 5 minute delay before the solinoid links the batteries, and then only if there is a constant 12.7 volt from the main battery. This is to give the main battery chance to recover after the initial start.

The NL inteligent solinoid will not connect if the second battery is not present. It does sensing to make sure that both batteries are present before it connects, so if you were to have a brad harrison connector between the solinoid and your second battery box for instance, that should be ok. I would not recomend using lose leads as short circuits would be the result and possible fire! I would further suggest using the RED BH connector to indicate incoming main battery voltage (this is just to make identification easier) as the red and grey connectors cannot be plugged into each other.

All the best and let us know how things re going.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Thanks Guys, all the advice has been great.
I have realised that the 105amp deep cycle battery is too big to fit into the space I thought I had in the engin compartment and decided to go the battery in a box rout. I wired up my vehicle to day and installed the contectors in the back of the bin. All ready for the battery to arrive.
Having a portable battery, to use at a camp site or else where was also a deciding factor, along with not having to ride with that extra weight around.
Thanks Guys.
Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Basil

remember: If you don't post photos: it never happened! ;)
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Will post them as soon as I have finished the box as I got my 105ah deep cycle battery (R985-00 excl)this morning, spent the whole day wiring it up and making the box.
I ran 35mm/2 cable through out, according to the NL manual, the voltage loss on this size cable is almost nothing along the 12m needed to wire the vehicle and with such little resistance, the load on the alternator is also reduced.
Having this cable laying in my garage for years has saved me a packet, just don't know why I havent done this a long time ago???
Attachments
Dual Battery 7.jpg
(186.61 KiB) Downloaded 1176 times
Dual Battery 8.jpg
(181.2 KiB) Downloaded 1176 times
Dual Battery 9.jpg
36mm squ cable through out.
(199 KiB) Downloaded 1176 times
Dual Battery 10.jpg
Still got to put hinges on the lid!
(154.86 KiB) Downloaded 1176 times
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

What did you think of the photos? Used 35mm cable through out, installed the monitor/controler with out damaging the panel, so all is removable if needed.
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Nice thick cable... Although the insulation is quite thick I also put these white plastic connectors/ if you can find the stainless ones, even better, where the cable goes through the body as you do not want the live touching the body *Big Spark* and/or blow of the 100Amp Fuse.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357562215.178279.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357562215.178279.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Hi, where ever the cables came into contact with the body when cable tying them, they were covered by hose and also a rubber sheeting. In the bin they were covered with hose only as the edges were rounded.
If you look in the four corners of the toyota bins, just under the lip, you will find openings where the panels do not meet, this provides an excess point into the bin without having to drill holes and creating sharp edges. Whether these spaces were done on purpose by toyota, I don't know, but all I know is that these open channals let a lot of dust in.
So, now that I have run my cables through it, I am going to put that expanding foam in those spaces to prevent dust from pouring into the bin area.
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Cool wasn't aware of these channels... Maybe it was done on purpose exactly for that a Dual battery system? Nice tidy installation in the engine bay!
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Thanks
BrettV
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Toyota D4D D/C 4x4

Post by BrettV »

Good morning Lux Lovers. :-) Happy New year

I need some advice on the Dual Battery installation.

I have a NL Daul Battery Box system which has the control system etc build in the box. This is the ones you buy from Outdoor Warehouse. I bought a new battery and decided to put it in my Lux as I use to have it in my Cruiser. I did a similar installation as Aquanaut also using 35mm cable that I ran to the back to the battery box. All was working well until I realized that my Battery is running down. My Lux was standing for a couple of days and this morning it did not want to start. I read many of the articles and forums posts on the dual batteries and I am wondering if I correctly connected the 2nd battery. I connected the wires that run to the back of the battery box, directly to the first battery. Is this correct?

I am wondering if is just the main battery of the Lux that is old or is it the addition of the Dual Battery that is causing the primary battery to discharge. I had the same with my cruiser. Some time after I added this Battery box to my cruiser one of my Main batteries had to be replaced. :(
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Hi Brett,
The negative terminal of the aux battery is connected to the negative terminal of the main battery, but the positive terminal of the aux battery is connected to the split charger where it says aux battery. The positive terminal of the main battery is then connected to the split charger unit where is says main battery. Only once you have connected all these cables as indicated, do you take the thin black wire from the split charger unit and connect it to the negative terminal of the main battery.
Check out the pdf I have attached.
Hope this helps.
Basil
Attachments
Split-charge manual 2.pdf
(236.99 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
BrettV
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Toyota D4D D/C 4x4

Post by BrettV »

Good morning Basil

Thanks for the information. The Unit/Box that I have has everything inside. I have opened it up on a previous occasion and it has the components as per your attachment and photos, but all inside. All I have is the Red connector where the Pos and Neg goes in. I just want to make sure that I understand correctly that the Pos must connect to a fuse box and then to the RED connector, together with the black and then into the battery box.
Attachments
NL Battery Box
NL Battery Box
Control Panel 1.jpg
Nationial Luna Battery Box Control
(37.98 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Yes, the pos (red) cable from the main battery connects to a 100amp in line fuse first, then from the fuse to the terminal marked main battery on the solenoid.
Your box has averything included, but I don't think the solenoid is fitted into the box, the cables from your box will still be connected to the solenoid fitted in your engine compartment, same as my home made box.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”