LED Bars

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

LED Bars

Post by Mud Dog »

Often the simplest ideas are the best. A few days ago I saw this in a posting by Edge .......
Edge wrote:I have a double row of about six LED's on a piece of aluminium flat bar with a hook bent on the one end, with two stoppers on the one side over which I can then wind about 10 meters of flex cable. I use this as an extension lead for light near the braai fire or light around the camp. It also can be hooked over a tree branch or onto the support of the awning.
....... and being practically minded (at least, I like to think so), I thought the idea had a lot of merit. Looked at the alu that I had and decided it was going to be easier to use some 12 x 2mm flat steel bar, than cut strips of alu. Bent the hooks after drilling a hole so that it could hang on a nail / screw as well. Washed the strips off in phosphoric acid, rinsed, dried and treated with anti-rust before painting.
IMG_8930.JPG

Made up a couple 30mm lengths of Bright LED strips (I have stock that I got from Pieter) and glued them to the metal strips.

Walla! Easy 12v camping / utility lights! They are lightweight, don't take up much space and will run for days off a small 8a/h motorised gate battery. (Will put them to the test next weekend.)
IMG_8933.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: LED Bars

Post by Thunder02 »

Very cool idea,i like :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

now thats cool Andy, you havent patented it yet....hehehe, but no seriously very simple but clever way to utilize the LED strips.....I like
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That is very nice Andy. Will work very well for many things, even when working on the vehicle
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Edge's idea, not mine. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Your idea has just given me an idea for the braai....
To God be the glory
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

simple & practical :thumbup: I'll use that one for the tent the upcoming long WEnd...with permission...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Stef wrote:simple & practical :thumbup: I'll use that one for the tent the upcoming long WEnd...with permission...
:lol: :lol: ................. and if I said "No" ? :twisted: ;-)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

After posting this thread, I made a few more of these 'camping' lights (6 in total) and used them often - no good being stuck away in a box and find that the batteries have gone south after an extended period of not being charged.

I used them on outings, hunting trips and even around the house with load shedding before I did the permanent solar PV panel thing. Even used them just for the sake of saving electricity, but didn't save that much - the batteries were still being charged from mains.

Anyhow, the purpose of this post is a warning to anyone that has used the idea and made their own similar units.

With the regular packing and unpacking the connection at the LED strip took some strain and unbeknown to me started arcing under the heat shrink. This is what happened .....
IMG_0252.JPG

Luckily it didn't start a fire!

At the time I made these units I glued the heat-shrunk ends to the bar to prevent this. It's not good enough!

I have now re-done the units with a slightly longer 'overlap' of the base metal and secured the connection end with a small cable-tie so that there can be no movement.

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Maybe add a in-line fuse.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

george wrote:Maybe add a in-line fuse.
Also an option, but would the fuse blow if the heat build up is from an arcing connection and not a short? I think not. Stabilizing the connection so that it cannot work loose would be the main solution IMO. :think:

I examined it carefully before and during the 'clean-up' and it had not made contact with the base metal and also didn't appear to have shorted out, but certainly a fuse would still be a good idea in any event. ;-)

Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Nou moet ek weer vanand garage toe....
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Better safe than sorry. :D:

Masekind
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

Baie nice idee sal ook soe iets moet doen dankie
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

ek het n 2 meter pvc pyp wat split een kant n meter strip op wat met cable ties vas is. na die koneksie het ek n s in die draad gemaak en met n cable tie vasgemaak sodat die koneksie nie kan los kom nie al haak jou voet die draad. werk soos n bom. maak die yster langer en sit n cable tie op.

Dis basies wat ek gedoen het deur die LED strip bietjie op te skuif. ;-)
One life, one dream, one toyota
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Vlak vark wrote:ek het n 2 meter pvc pyp wat split een kant n meter strip op wat met cable ties vas is. na die koneksie het ek n s in die draad gemaak en met n cable tie vasgemaak sodat die koneksie nie kan los kom nie al haak jou voet die draad. werk soos n bom. maak die yster langer en sit n cable tie op.

Dis basies wat ek gedoen het deur die LED strip bietjie op te skuif. ;-)
Wat van 'n foto of twee. Dan kan ons dom ouens ook vestaan:oops:
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Louis, ek is ongelukkig in nelspruit in die hospitaal met my suiker. sodra ek uitkom vat ek n kiekie of twee vir jou :thumbup:
One life, one dream, one toyota
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

ek cable tie die draad na die LED ook vas aan die yster :)

GEEN beweging op die soldeersel.

ANDER idee - daai magnetiese signs wat die manne so op die kant van n voertuig plak - kry van dit en sny dit in strokies. Plak die LED strip op dit. Die magneet sit mos vas teen die voertuig se staal :) MAKLIK om die lig te skuif tot waar jy hom wil hê :)

kry sommer van die nuwe 12 LED ligte by 4x4Direct :) :) Wit en GEEL :) :) :)
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Vlak vark wrote:Louis, ek is ongelukkig in nelspruit in die hospitaal met my suiker. sodra ek uitkom vat ek n kiekie of twee vir jou :thumbup:
Dankie

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

ChrisF wrote:ek cable tie die draad na die LED ook vas aan die yster :)

GEEN beweging op die soldeersel.

ANDER idee - daai magnetiese signs wat die manne so op die kant van n voertuig plak - kry van dit en sny dit in strokies. Plak die LED strip op dit. Die magneet sit mos vas teen die voertuig se staal :) MAKLIK om die lig te skuif tot waar jy hom wil hê :)

kry sommer van die nuwe 12 LED ligte by 4x4Direct :) :) Wit en GEEL :) :) :)
Chris

Het jy aandele in 4x4Direct?:twisted:

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

As hy nog nie nie het nie, probeer hy baie hard :lmao: :lmao:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I have a double row of about six LED's on a piece of aluminium flat bar with a hook bent on the one end, with two stoppers on the one side over which I can then wind about 10 meters of flex cable. I use this as an extension lead for light near the braai fire or light around the camp. It also can be hooked over a tree branch or onto the support of the awning.

Andy, what mine also has added is a T-piece at the bottem to which the cable leads past after the LED lights. I then wind it back between the T-piece and the hook on top which stops the cable from sliding off either end. My hook is also bigger and rounded so that I can hang it over/around tree branches where I camp...
See my first post...
Hope this helps to clear up your shorting problem, as my system had had no problems for more than five years that I have had it in opperation...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yeah, but you didn't post any pics, so I was unable to understand!! :twisted: :twisted:

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

You have seen that light in opperation on our first trip to Hoggs Back...
You know my computer skills & that I haven't the faintest idea how to post pitchas, especially from the tablet...
That you could not even master...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ahem! If you recall, I found the embedded picture resize toll on your tablet, showed you how to access and how to use it, but the problem was that you didn't have an interface between your PC and tablet to transfer the pics to the tablet. :twisted: :twisted:

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Can this be repeated in Engels, so that I can also verunderstand it...

You know I do not understand Computer JARGON...

Andy, remind me next time I come to East London with the Camper, so that I can show you...
Probably on Saturday close to LUNCH time...
No we are not comming for lunch, we alreadsy declined one offer just down the road from you...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool, I should be home. ;-)

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”