What video camera do I buy?

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

What video camera do I buy?

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a small compact video camera, something that is easy to use and a machine that is well known in South Africa and from a company that will not pull out of South Africa like Sanyo, is it better to have a flip out screen, or what do you suggest.

Thank's
regards
simoan
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Umpalumpa
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jacobsbay
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D DC, 4x4=16
Club VHF Licence: HC305

Re: What video camera do I buy?

Post by Umpalumpa »

Adventure camera - GoPro!! :thumbup:
Just a guy with a passion for 4x4.....
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Definitely Go-Pro, get the "hero 3 black"
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/4263 ... k+Edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BushMad
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: '01 Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC130

Post by BushMad »

Also have a look at the iON Air Pro 2, if you are looking for an action camera.
What do you intend to use the camera for?
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I want to use it to take videos of my friends driving their 4x4's through the rough stuff.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

I have a GoPro .....

I have a "handycam", the classic small handheld video camera .....

took some videos at VicFalls with a P&S camera (waterproof Nikon AW100) - would not want to subject any other camera to that amount of water, and the GoPro angle is just too wide for that.

looking at all three "types" of video cameras and what you want to do - do CONSIDER the new Canon 1200D DSLR camera.

some very nifty feautures for the new generation and for the real outdoor playfull lifestyle ....

- it has s setting to record a 4 second video BEFORE taking a photo, thus you have a nifty little video leading up to the pic ...
- DECENT video specs
- and a pretty decent camera to boot ....

main benefit is that you have both the video and still camera in hand when the action happens, no need to put one down and wait for the other to boot up ....
SYRON CONVERSIONS

what about been able to switch off the sound on a camera due to wind noise or is there a button to filter wind noise, thank's for all the replies and info so far, it is most appreciated, would Game sell these camera's?

simoan
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Most, if not all, cameras will record sound with video by default and there is not way to prevent it. You have rather remove the sound afterward using a tool like Adobe Premier or Windows Movie Maker (free to download here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ZA/wind ... ovie-maker). Otherwise look for one that allows you to use an external mike and then get one like this: Image
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

at some point you WILL need video editing software ....

I prefer the Sony Vega software, only a few hundred rand and VERY user friendly.

one of the standard features is to copy only the video tracks, omitting the sound. You can even add your own back ground sound / music .....
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Samsung S4 with a dash mount and 32GB mini-SD card!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

My boet in law picked up a Go Pro on The Strand beach, he took it home and downloaded the content. they were able to get a car reg no. on the footage and contacted the owner. He went surf-skiing in Gordon,s Bay two weeks earlier, the footage showed how it was knocked off by a wave and kept on filming under the sea untill the batt. went flat. It travelled on the seabed for two weeks and washed up in Strand, it still works perfectly, i think you can call it the "Hllux" of cameras, maybe not the best performance, but the toughest.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
BushMad
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: '01 Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC130

Post by BushMad »

The only problem we've picked up with the GoPro is the casing: Cool looking, water-proof to a degree and all, but sensitive to impact. Hard impacts break the casing which then has to replaced at a cost. A friend of mine has had to replace 4 cases in the last 2 years. Thats one of the major reasons why I went iON instead of GoPro.

As per switching off sound while recording, most modern cameras detect and cut down on wind noise automatically while recording.

@ChrisF +1 for the Canon 1200D, great camera
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I contacted Photo-Quip in East London this afternoon and they are wanting R 6 500.00 for the GoPro this is the hero 3 black, this is incl vat. They say that a newer model is coming out in then near future.

I am still thinking about all of this.......it is not about the money, it is about getting the correct machine, that Canon 1200 D the guy said that it is not a video camera, it is a digital camera similar to the old 35mm camera's, I already have a Canon 20 D for my work purposes.

Will let you all know what I decide
Thank's

simoan
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

JIP, the 1200D is a "DSLR" (still camera).

Wish I could show you the VIDEO of this camera - SHOT WITH A 1200D Canon :) :)

Fact is that 99,9% of "videos" are now shot purely for Youtube .... while the 1200D (and MOST new DSLR's) are now fully capable of full HD video.

As I said, I own a GoPro, a normal handycam type video camera and a couple of P&S and DSLR cameras.

I DO use the GoPro - and its ultra wide angle is handy for in car shots - better than the other options (in my list above)

I also use the GoPro on sites when I want to record what is happening on and want to keep my hands free - Made a mount to wear the GoPro like a miners lamp on my hard hat .... the handycam works better (due to the ability to zoom, and the narrower angle of view), BUT the hands free of the GoPro is what sells it for this application.

DSLR's as video cameras - more and more serious videos and movies are shots with DSLR's !!!!!

the main benefit for the man in the street is having to handle only one device .....

as a dash cam - definately the wrong tool !!

PS - do yourself a favour and take a 20 second video with a NEW era DSLR camera
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

http://autostyle.us2.list-manage.com/tr ... 5cc39c7258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garmin has a action camera out, just saw it now from Autostyle, don't know anything about it, but looks good. Just that personally I tend not to buy stuff from people who do not specialize in that specific area. They make good GPS's no doubt and their after-sales service is amazing, don't know about the camera route they have taken.

Just to add a spanner into your work :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”