Problem with Campmaster Fridge / Freezer

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Problem with Campmaster Fridge / Freezer

Post by Aquanaut »

I have got a 40L Fridge /freezer. It has been working quite well for about 2 years now and been on some rough trips with me. It works well on 12v but when I connect it to the mains, the following happens.
It will cool down to what ever temp I have set, but after maintaining that temp for a couple of minutes, the temperature writing disappears and a blank blue light is shown, the fridge switches off for a second and then starts up again but the compressor is not heard running. The fan is blowing on the radiator, the light is one on the power pack but the temp is climbing because the compressor is not kicking in. as soon as I connect the 12v, no problem. I have had two authorised contractors look at it already but as soon as it gets to them, and they plug the 220v in it works no problem. one even had the fridge for three weeks.
Can any one give some advice or suggestions?
Basil.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Problem with Campmaster Fridge / Freezer

Post by Thabogrobler »

Maybe try a new 220V supply line?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Agreed. Something wacky there.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Thabogrobler wrote:Maybe try a new 220V supply line?
Perhaps :think: , I had the same problem on the same fridge, BUT on the 12v side, turned out to be a loose connection. Everything is fine until the compressor starts to draw amps.

Hope this sorts your problem :thumbup:
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

The problem is that its a camp master.. We borrowed a camp 'master' cooler in december and it broke. We got camp master chairs for christmas and they broke too.. on the 2nd night we used them... camp 'master' is rubbish and ill never buy their products. Just made to look nice..
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Basil, phone Warren at Snomaster in Jo'burg - he will sort you out.
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Do a factory reset...it might just sort you out. Experienced some funny behaviour in the past, but after the reset everything was fine...

Both mine been running for 6 years, non-stop now..

I had to re-gas the one a year ago...
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Otto: Sorry to Hi-Jack, no pun intended, but...

The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever!!
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Rusti wrote:The problem is that its a camp master.. We borrowed a camp 'master' cooler in december and it broke. We got camp master chairs for christmas and they broke too.. on the 2nd night we used them... camp 'master' is rubbish and ill never buy their products. Just made to look nice..

The guys on Wegry also had a huge debate...going as far as saying that it's Engel or NL, otherwise stay home.

I have the stainless 95L Campmaster and it has been working perfectly for 5 years now. It has the Danfoss compressor as well, same as N/Luna and if I'm not mistaken Waeco & Snomaster too...

As for the rest of Campmaster's range; one has to check the quality when you buy it, as with many others.
Buy yourself the Frontrunner chairs at Megaworld...R700 each but well worth it.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Have to agree. Campmaster is generally budget stuff, although my Campmaster fridge is also about 4 yrs old now and still works well. As you say, Danfoss compressor, which is excellent, but where they fall down are the cabinets and the other electronics. Cabinets do not insulate as well as the Coleman, N/Luna, Waeco and Snowmaster, which means they are not as energy efficient. On the electronics side, I believe it's a common issue that the temp displays fail and I have heard of problems with the 220V / 12V switch-over before.

So I guess it's a case of how your needs dictate what kind of use you're looking to get out of it. If it's just for the occasional weekend or short trip, then the cost saving of the Campmaster by comparison might well be a viable consideration. .... Horses for Courses, in a way.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

Hey guys,

I just read my post again and hope I didn't come across the wrong way.. I wasn't trying to be harsh or insulting to anyone that owns camp master gear. Since December I just really hate their products and their service.

We were so happy to get those chairs as a present and we both have great memories of camping with our families in camp master tents as children. But it seems like things have seriously changed. It was incredibly embarrassing for us when my father in law asked how the chairs were and even more so when he couldn't get his cooler working again. I even went so far as to call camp master before the in laws found out but their service is even worse than their products.. They blatantly refused to use the batch number to see when the chairs were made as I obviously did not have the receipts. They would not even think of looking at the chairs without it. I know that it's not the norm to return a product without a receipt but with a batch number and 1 quick look a monkey could see that the chairs were brand new and faulty and have them repaired for us. Now I'm on a MISSION to let people know how bad their products and their service are. Our in laws were so embarrassed they bought us new chairs that weekend. I have also since replaced the cooler with an awesome Kershaw Free Fall pocket knife because they bought a NL fridge freezer since.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”