12V LCD Television - Anyone installed?

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
tecsol
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: 2007 Prado 120 V6

12V LCD Television - Anyone installed?

Post by tecsol »

Planning my dual battery system and wish to run a 19" or larger LCD TV to keep the kids happy. Has anyone done something similar or can guide me in the right direction? Nothing too extreme or expensive - just a screen bigger than 7" head units so the kids can sit around and watch a movie when camping (yes I did just say that!)

Must have:
- USB input - so movies can be played/shared from a USB datastick/hard drive
- 19" or bigger LCD Flat screen
- Ideally run off 12v rather than requiring an inverter
- Audio output or utilises the vehicle speakers/head unit

Thought there may be a double DIN video/DVD head unit with an output (HDMI? Component?) that could be attached to a (cheap) external TV/Monitor. But cant find anything in SA in my Google searches.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: 12V LCD Television - Anyone installed?

Post by ChrisF »

uhm jaaaa .....

I am sure you will be showing NATURE videos, since you are outdoors .... :tease: :twisted:

What is the wattage of the equipment you are talking about here ?????????????????????????? :shock2: :o:

Sounds like you are well on your way to a substantial power station to watch rugby, ummm sorry ... kids videos, in the bush.

At only 50W, and I do believe your set of equipment is way past that, you will be using 4A, and will get just more than 11h before the battery drops below the magic 50% limit ! THIS is IF you have a dedicated system just for the tv. IF you are running this off the same battery as your fridge ... just dont see that battery lasting through the night.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

We just got one of those portable DVD player from Makro...works like a charm, has it's own rechargeable battery.
I think she used it on maybe 2 camps out of the last 5, and I did not have to recharge it during those 2 weekends...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef wrote:We just got one of those portable DVD player from Makro...works like a charm, has it's own rechargeable battery.
I think she used it on maybe 2 camps out of the last 5, and I did not have to recharge it during those 2 weekends...
And you could charge it while driving, if you needed to.
tecsol
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tecsol »

Thanks for your replies. DVDs are so 20th century... take up space, scratch, skip etc. Wish to use digital files on USB

Some DVD headunits have a USB input in the front so they will work - but only have 6/7" screens in the dash/headrests. If I could output them to a 19"+ screen in the canopy that would be ideal...
Last edited by tecsol on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Portable dvd player has USB input as well, also a Sinotech, screen not 19" though. Works for us due to own battery and it has a 220v/12V chargers, and keeps the kids out of the vehicle, and waaay cheaper I think it was R330 or so.

What I don't like about screens/tv's that can play mp4 etc is the aspect ratio is not so great, neither is the picture quality. At home I would rather stick the hard drive in the blue ray player's USB.

Inverter uses a lot of batt power...but it would work for what you want to do with the 19". I've seen DiBoss 26" LCD's that run off an external PSU, but they are 24V 5.42A.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef wrote:Portable dvd player has USB input as well, also a Sinotech, screen not 19" though. Works for us due to own battery and it has a 220v/12V chargers, and keeps the kids out of the vehicle, and waaay cheaper I think it was R330 or so.

What I don't like about screens/tv's that can play mp4 etc is the aspect ratio is not so great, neither is the picture quality. At home I would rather stick the hard drive in the blue ray player's USB.

Inverter uses a lot of batt power...but it would work for what you want to do with the 19". I've seen DiBoss 26" LCD's that run off an external PSU, but they are 24V 5.42A.
that is a 100W !!

going to damage the deep cycle ....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

That's a fairly old screen; had a quick look at the newer 32" Sony's I got... 3.05A @ 19V = 58 watt , not really helping much ito Voltage; I'm yet to see a 12V version.

Best solution to me is still the portable DVD player or tablet or even just a plain old laptop if you really have to have a bigger screen
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef wrote:That's a fairly old screen; had a quick look at the newer 32" Sony's I got... 3.05A @ 19V = 58 watt , not really helping much ito Voltage; I'm yet to see a 12V version.

Best solution to me is still the portable DVD player or tablet or even just a plain old laptop if you really have to have a bigger screen
I have a nice 17'' laptop .. for photo editing on trips.

That thing draws more than 300W !!!!!!!!!

THIS is where I paid some expensive school fees with the power draw of nice to have goodies ...........
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

did some digging

19'' MONITOR - http://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-p1914s/pd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
only 16W.

19'' TV - http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/19PFL350 ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
55W

another model - http://www.nivo.co.za/c/q/electronics/t ... ack~p20653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
claiming 40W ...

seems that adding the tv circuit and sound system adds to the power usage ....

Now the fun starts !!!!

Only SOME of these entry level units have built in media players to operate from a memory stick. Others have input points for an outside media player - yet more power consumption ...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dale please keep us posted if you do find a 19'' Monitor or TV that does what you want it to do, and off course the power consumption.

IF it is only available in 220V, then you will need a small inverter, yet more power losses ....

certainly possible ....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

ChrisF wrote: I have a nice 17'' laptop .. for photo editing on trips.

That thing draws more than 300W !!!!!!!!!

THIS is where I paid some expensive school fees with the power draw of nice to have goodies ...........

:mrgreen: That's probably excluding your external drive...recharging could be an issue if you don't have 220V and have to use an inverter again; at least you have a "few" hours before recharging
ChrisF wrote: seems that adding the tv circuit and sound system adds to the power usage ....
Now the fun starts !!!!

Only SOME of these entry level units have built in media players to operate from a memory stick. Others have input points for an outside media player - yet more power consumption ...
That's the thing, and if you go for a screen only you have to have an external media player again....and possibly an external drive with all your movies on it and before long you're back to tv wattage
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef I can only just charge that laptop of a 450W peak output inverter when the laptop is OFF, ie about 225W continous draw !!

With the laptop ON ... you start smelling that inverter !!!!!!!!! and then it cuts out ....

The little 10'' notebook runs for 6+ hours on a charge, and does not draw much power to recharge.

But this 17'' units SUCKS juice !!! and hardly gets more than 2 hours on its battery pack ....

Certainly, these gadgets ARE nice. But you need one mother a power system to run it for the hours that it would take to keep the kids happy .... IF you want to run large screens.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

225W Sjoh...that's more than I thought !!

Agree with you 100%..more than 2 hours is a tall order on anything bigger than probably 10"

So far I've tried to stay away from inverters; if it can't work on 12V it stays home..and the laptop will only get charged where 220V is available...if I take it with :laugh2:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Photography is how I switch off ...

So I "need" the laptop to edit the photos. Very often I leave the 3G modem, and only do the photography.

And sometimes I get the urge, as with the Agulhas trip, and write ....

Just not practical to do this without 220V. Forget about running that 17'' laptop of a 12V battery for anything more than a few minutes.
tecsol
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by tecsol »

*** Update ***
Ended up finding out that the 19" Sinotec TV - although advertised as 240V, it actually has a 240v EXTERNAL adapter with a 12v laptop style input plug. 25W max usage, with USB input, and 3.5mm audio output that I could plug in an external speaker for greater volume if required.

Chopped off the "laptop" plug from the external 240V adapter, connected wires to a Harrison plug, connected to my Bushpower.co.za portable dual battery system... and success!

Just need to mount it all nicely in the Hilux and the kids will be happy :thumbup:

TV Specs:
http://www.sinoprima.co.za/products/led ... LIM-LED-TV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buy here:
http://www.game.co.za/19-hd-ready-led.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (on special is R1260)
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and ... v-276935EA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.takealot.com/sinotec-tv-19-h ... ID40360151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dual battery system:
http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pid=676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope that helps any other "intrepid" overlanders :lol:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Cool find with the 12V input :thumbup:

Have you tested how long the tv could run on that battery?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for the feedback.

At 25w it should work nicely.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”