Lets talk Dashcams

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Lets talk Dashcams

Post by Dingo »

Hi Forumites

Who regularly uses a dashcam?
Why do you have one?
What make / recommendation?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a dashcam and have look at a couple, from cheapies to the more expensive, and am trying to decide on which route to go.

At the moment I'm trying to decide between the Eagle Eye V2 or the Garmin 35/45, reason being is that these have GPS logging, etc.

What are the thoughts and recommendations.
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Re: Lets talk Dashcams

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Hi this is an interesting subject
And here is my opinion It all comes down to what the application is for . If you just want to use it as n nice to have a cheap one will be okay but if you want to use it say for defense in case you get into a accident You should consider having something with good display and good resolution to capture detail. For instance In a truck application to monitor driver and cargo a good camera and a dvr with GPS tracking is a must
The other aspect to think about is "You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get"

Just my 2c worth
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

I have two cheapies. One a name brand. Polaroid. That one packed up first
The other one which is a no name brand is still going.

The problem with the cheapies is that the vid quality is not spectacular even when on HD.
In addition, the file sizes are HUGE. Even if you scale it down using software its still huge
Real drivers use three pedals
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

Got a Garmin 20, very happy with it. Quality is good, 720p and the Garmin Dashcam program bundles it nicely (still a huge amount of data, but it could be worse) and allows you to cut the video, as well as take screenshots. It is important that you can "tag" while recording, otherwise you are left with endless video footage and will most likely not remember the incident you wanted to keep. I use a GoPro attached to my helmet when on the motorcycle and it is frustrating to go through endless amounts of video footage, I usually end up deleting most.

The Garmin dashcam has also got an incident detection feature, as well as a proximity sensor, both off which I switched off as the beeping started to irritate me. The incident detection sees almost all bumps as incident, even minor uneven road surfaces, so you can imagine based on the quality of our roads...

I have not yet had to use it in any sort of incident and am thus not sure how this footage holds up in front of a court.

To answer your questions:
Who regularly uses a dashcam? Dashcam in Hilux, GoPro on Motorcycle

Why do you have one? Mostly for when the s..t hits the fan and I need evidence to prove my innocence, but also to record the poor adherence to traffic laws in our country. Unsure at this stage if a Youtube channel is worth it, but also not keen on lawsuits. Not sure on our laws regarding the publishing of these videos.

What make / recommendation? Definitely can recommend the Garmin, had it for three years and still going strong.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

With cameras in general and dashcams in particular the guys are correct. You get what you pay for. It is getting more and more important to have one and I am actually also considering getting one. The other morning I was on my way to work. It was still dark. I approach an intersection and a taxi drives in front of me as if the red light or me for that matter, does not exist. I only missed him as I was going quite fast and could accelerate around him. Had we connected it would have been my word against his and the co-driver.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I have considered these but I am afraid at times any proof of my chioce language use might have me end up very deep in jail!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

Post by Animul »

I use my smartphone, works like a charm. The reason for using my smartphone is because it is compatible with laptop for downloads, only I have access to the content and if I caused the Sh1t I just delete it ... easy peasy.

You have to have a SD card and it records over and over if you run out of space.

Cheap and effective.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”