2-Way Radios

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.

Which type of radio or do you already own one??

VHF
33%
I already have a VHF radio
37%
29MHz
10%
I already have a 29MHz Radio
19%

Total votes: 67

SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

2-Way Radios

Post by SuidWes »

At the last trail only two vehicles had radios and as luck would have it one VHF and one 29MHz - so no radio comms :evil: . A number of guys indicated that they would be interested in a group-buy so I spoke to Eric (FD) and got some good prices on VHF and 29.

Radio comms really makes a big difference on a trail and when driving in a convoy.

I have a 29MHz Dragon installed and it works great and I’ve never had any issues with it.(Using it for 2 years) The effective range is around 5km but this is dependent on a number of factors – type of installation, terrain and even the weather plays a role.

25 W VHF has a range of about 35km and it is much clearer but it is more expensive.

For more info see; http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/shop/radios.php(“The information presented there is correct, but the pricing is wrong. Some of the prices have increased, others have in fact fallen.”), http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/radios/index.php and http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/radios/p4.php - licensing.

To give you an idea on pricing (Prices excludes installation, delivery and license fees):

VHF plus antenna: +/- R2500
29 MHz plus antenna: +/- R1700

So who is interested, need 10 to qualify for these prices…… :thumbup:

Please vote VHF or 29MHz and I’ve also added two options for the guys who already have radios.
Last edited by SuidWes on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: 2Way Radios

Post by CasKru »

I have a 29Mhz and will be buying a VHF in the near future.

You might want to apply for a license first before you buy a radio as I think Eric is not allowed to sell if you do not have a license. I never had a license and actually applied for one about a month ago for both the 29Mhz and the VHF (which I still need to buy). Amazingly enough it only cost me something like R165 for both radio licenses with admin fees etc. I'm now part of ORRA and have my own call sign.

So if I can recommend to anybody, go the VHF route. The 29Mhz is alright but the VHF is much better and it is not that difficult at all to get a license.
To God be the glory
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

I also have a 29Mhz. I should have bought a VHf instead.
Unfortunately I cannot buy one right now, as I suspect Bennie's invoice for the EFi work will need to be presented to my bank manager for a loan :D:
ImageImage
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

You guys must Vote :thumbup:

If you have a 29MHz but want to go for VHF vote VHF 8 ) :D:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

I also want da radio, but it would be nice to have the one most people have. Mmmm, maybe I should vote for both... :think:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

99.9% of 4x4 Vehicles I come across have 29MHz radios with only the harder core Overlanders having VHF.

The quality aspect is indesputeable but as far as Trail Comms go the VHF radios are in a small minority. :shifty:

Maybe F_D can give us an expert appraisal here
Vleispyp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kuils River
Vehicle: Gwm 2.8 4x4

Post by Vleispyp »

Ek die 29 in my Range met een van die langste antennas wat ek kon koop!Tot my verbasing kan ek tot en met so 15km helder opvangs en stuur!met n paar berge tussen in!glo dit of nie!So meskien as die manne beter opvangs wil he moet hulle kyk na n beter lat!!! :twisted:
GWM 2.8 4x4 Wie is jou China
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Met daai antenna kan ek dit glo :mrgreen:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

Ok so if I understand it right then the HF radios should all have the same cannels. Am I right?

But the VHF you will have to obtain channels from the license guy’s. and you can only use it 50km from home?

And if I and a buddy want to chat we must have the same channels on VHF?

I like the idée of VHF radio. The range, less noise, but I would prefer to have something like the old CB’s. Channel 19 as a general calling channel and then from there you can move to a different channel. What’s the use if you have a radio but you can’t chat to a fellow mate on the same track just because you don’t have the same channels programmed on the radios?

Ek dog maar net ek vra.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I have a 29Mhz Dragon but don't think its worth buying a VHF as well. Yes they work better but is more expensive and most guys I encounter use them.
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Yip Bennie I agree. For trails it's perfect and it looks like a lot of guys have already gone this route. The Dragon radio is good and Eric advised that they are going for around a grand without the antenna. It is also easier to buy them second hand :thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Gertc wrote:Ok so if I understand it right then the HF radios should all have the same cannels. Am I right?

But the VHF you will have to obtain channels from the license guy’s. and you can only use it 50km from home?

And if I and a buddy want to chat we must have the same channels on VHF?

I like the idée of VHF radio. The range, less noise, but I would prefer to have something like the old CB’s. Channel 19 as a general calling channel and then from there you can move to a different channel. What’s the use if you have a radio but you can’t chat to a fellow mate on the same track just because you don’t have the same channels programmed on the radios?

Ek dog maar net ek vra.
I'm also unclear on the VHF Channel set up, ie. are there "4x4 specific channels" :? , hopefully Oom Eric will put us right just now :)
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

As ek wil praat wil ek praat nie sukkel nie, VHF is maar net die beste as dit kom by kommunikasie. Ek skiet nie 29 mhz heeltemal af nie want die voordeel is natuurlik dat jy die kanale het wat almal gebruik. Daar is egter wel ORRA (Off road radio association)wat 'n VHF kanaal het vir 4x4 offroad en so ook die LCCSA (land cruiser club van SA) wat hulle eie kanale/Frekwensie het. Miskien moet FD maar vir ons meer duidelikheid gee in die verband maar ek dink dat ORRA besig is met die VHF omskakeling vir 4x4 en dan is daar ook 'n gemeenskaplike kanale wat gebuik kan word net soos met 29MHz.

Anyway my bakkie bestaan uit radio's en antenna's so noem die frekwensie en ek praat saam. 8 ) Miskien nie altyd wettig nie maar praat kan ek praat :shock:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek was altyd bang vir die lisensie ding en het gedink dit is 'n schlep.... maar dit is eintlik heel maklik en eenvoudig... :) Ek het ook 'n ORRA call sign :)
To God be the glory
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Knersus »

Wel Cassie daar sê jy dit nou self. Dis regtig nie so 'n groot probleem om wettig te wees nie. Die probleem is net eenvoudig dat Icasa maar sloer soms met hulle dinge.... :wth:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Wil ook nie he my bakkie moet soos n kominikasie kasper lyk nie.

1 radio sal doen. maar watter ene?
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Gertc wrote:1 radio sal doen. maar watter ene?
Jy koop die een wat die meeste van jou maatjies het. Dit help nie jy sit met 'n 29MHz radio in 'n groep ouens wat almal VHF radios het nie, en anders om. Tot op hede is meeste ouens wat ek ken en waarmee ek saamry almal op 29MHz, en daarom gaan ek nie nou VHF toe migrate sommer so nie. As die dag kom dat meer as die helfte van die ouens VHF gebruik dan sal ek ook oorskakel.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Knersus wrote:Wel Cassie daar sê jy dit nou self. Dis regtig nie so 'n groot probleem om wettig te wees nie. Die probleem is net eenvoudig dat Icasa maar sloer soms met hulle dinge.... :wth:
Ek het myne deer ORRA gedoen... form voltooi met my details en die details van my radio (en toekomstige een), deur gemail met my proof of payment (R165 vir altwee lisensies en admin ens vir die jaar) en 3 weke later my lisensie in die pos gekry. Kan mos nie makliker as dit wees nie :)
To God be the glory
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote: I'm also unclear on the VHF Channel set up, ie. are there "4x4 specific channels" :? , hopefully Oom Eric will put us right just now :)
Are you sleeping Oom F_D :?:
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Oh ye troubled ol' Sassenach! :lol:

The ORRA has applied for, and was granted, a "Roving Frequency", which means that the VHF frequency which is allocated to them is valid for use anywhere within SA's borders. A normal VHF frequency is limited to max 50km from one's place of residence, so the ORRA frequency is a definite advantage.

My personal views are that one must really use what is currently in use by the group with whom you most often travel in convoy with, but the argument against this is the fact that the prices of 29MHz radios are creeping up to the VHF radio prices. Bare in mind that a 29MHz radio requires a fairly long antenna (±1.5m) compared to a VHF quarter-wave (roof-top mount) that is barely one third that length. If, however, one prefers a "side-mount" antenna for VHF, then the 5/8 antenna is the way to go. This will usually mount on the B or C pillar, but can also be mounted on the bull or roll bar. Even so, the antenna is only about one metre in height and does not flop around as much as the 29MHz antenna.

Then, the AM radios operate at around 4-5 watts RF compared to a full 25W for the VHF radio. AM radios are susceptible to ignition and atmospheric interference, while VHF/FM is not. A VHF radio offers reliable range of around 30-35kms between vehicles, while an AM radio is usually only good for less than 5km *reliable* communication - slightly more in ideal conditions such as very early on a cold Winter's morning, but less during an electrical storm.

Another factor to consider is that the VHF/FM radios are serviced nation-wide by authorised Dealerships, but very few of these Dealerships would want to waste time repairing a 29MHz radio, which are considered "not worth the repair costs" due to the time spent on repairing them and the unavailability of any Service Manuals and components for these. The Importers are not really up to servicing or repairing the 29MHz radios either.

Kenwood TK7102 4-Channel VHF/FM radio. An excellent product!
TK7102.jpg
TK7102.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 29310 times

Undoubtedly the best 29MHz AM Radio, the GME GX-300 (Available in either Black or White)
gx300_f.jpg

Prices on the GX300 have already risen this past week so the gap is narrowing very fast.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Dankie Oom Eric :!: :thumbup:

Very informative and just what the doc ordered for us laypeople :wink:
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Eric I spoke to my radio tiffy the other day and he informed me that on vhf you get a midband(66-88 mhz) and also a highband (134-174 mhz).Now I want to know on which band do you see us in the near future,will it be mid or high band.The past weekend I saw the need for radio coms as an absolute necessity.I dont want to waste money in buying a 29 mhz radio if things are to change soon.At the moment I have high band fm (vhf) radios.(motorola)Got any suggestions :?:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hentey,

VHF High Band (136-174MHz) is the way to to go. Depending on the model of Motorola you have, you could most probably just add the ORRA frequency, after having joined the ORRA first. Currently, this forum is not yet an affiliate of the ORRA so you would require to join the 4x4 Community Forum in order to become a member of the ORRA.

Which model Motorola are you using, and how many channels are you currently using on it?

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Eric I have GM 350 radios in my vehicles and I have P 020 portable radios aswell.They all are 4 channel I think.We normally use only one channel but the base and the one in my bakkie have the no 2 channel activated if I want to discuss private matters.But we hardly use that function,I rather phone the office.
I also want to know if Motorola have a 12vdc charger for the portables (their batt dont last all day)
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hentey,

The radios will be fine. The P020 was one of Motorola's smaller radios, destined for the Asian market, but they were sold here in 2002/2003 or thereabouts. As far as I remember, it uses a 7.5v battery of unknown capacity. We used to fit after-market batteries (not Motorola) which had a slightly longer operating life. I'll have a look for you tomorrow (when I'm at work) what charger options are available, but otherwise it's simple enough to make up a cigarette lighter type cable and just plug that into the charger.

-F_D

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Kenwood TK7102 4-Channel VHF/FM radio.

Eric can this radio be programmed to work duplex? (work thru a repeater?)
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Eric,what needs to be done so that we (hilux forum)can get ORRA accreditation?Surely this is not impossible.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Like the Idee. Sins Eric is forcing us to buy a 4 channel radio(Kenwood TK7102 4-Channel VHF/FM radio.) but we only need ONE channel. We can just as well get frequentions for other channels.

:clap: :lol: :idea: He could just as well sold us a 0ne channel radio at quarter of the price. :idea: :clap: :lol:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

I also like the idea behing getting our own frequency on the air.... :thumbup:

Something that might be off topic here is even when travelling in very remote and mountainous areas I do not see the merrit of having a 2way radio as you might not be able to transmit far enough should you have a serious emergency. I do understand that it does help with convoy contact and ensuring everybody stay up to date with what is happening and what to expect.

Am I correct in saying that when going for serious remote overlanding explorations it would be better to have a sattelite phone as a emergency backup and then have the 2 way radios for convoy conversations and order. :?: :?: :think:
Johan Marais
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

That is the way to go yes. But at the price of Satellite Phones MMMMmmmmmm the rental of a phone could pay your whole trip. Or a few installments on my bakkie. :mrgreen:

Then maybe it is best to go Knersus way. Become a HAM. Then you can use a HF radio that can cover Hundreds of Km in the right conditions. :idea:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

AFAIK the price of sattelite phones these days are hovering between R 15 - R 25 K depending on what you want and what brand....... :shock: :shock:
Now considering that the modifications on my Hilux is nearing the end for a overlander, I might start saving just for that as then I can say I have it all that I wanted..... :shh: :angel: :angel:

I will be investigating this matter on a later stage in depth and post some feedback here :thumbup: :thumbup: ..Maybe somebody would like to call me from space..... :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
Johan Marais
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Gertc wrote:Kenwood TK7102 4-Channel VHF/FM radio.

Eric can this radio be programmed to work duplex? (work thru a repeater?)

Gert, yes, provided the Repeater falls within the Radio's frequency range. The TK7102 is available in two VHF splits (we are not concerned about UHF here) which are either from 136 - 162MHz, or otherwise 146 - 174MHz. The latter is the more common, although either will work for the ORRA frequency. Radios with more VHF channels are available (the Vertex VX2100 has up to 8 channels, at the same price) but this does not really concern us here.

HF/SSB will talk practically anywhere in Africa, but as has been said, you either go the "Ham" way, or you could obtain a Commercial Licence as well. But there are pros & cons to HF radio as well.

Hentey, it will be Pieter's choice as to whether this forum applies for Membership of the ORRa or not. I believe there are financial implications, but the costs could (and should...) be recovered from the Members here who want to install a radio. The costs, if shared this way, are minimal.

-F_D

hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Thanks Eric for all the answers to our questions.So what now? Who is going to make a move?
Forum members calling on Pieter to make a decision......Pieter come in .....Pieter come in......(radio silence)
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

How about a Vote?
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :? :? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Irishman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Saldanha
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux Double Cab

Post by Irishman »

Guys, whichever you chose go the ORRA route. I got the licence forms from Eric, sent them in, got an acknowledgement of receipt, but a year later I still haven't got a licence, I haven't got a gun licence either :evil:
This sort of service makes one tempted to break the law.
Ron.
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Ron are you using the frequency or not? Your radio technician is to set it to frequency one you are registered.Dont worry Icasa takes a little time as long as you got proof that you applied.I had somebody breaking through on my frequency,and I refused to pay my annual lisence fee untill they sorted the problem.Sent out a chap with a LR and a lot of electronic goodies ,+- 13 antenae's on the roof.He sorted and I paid.Do you want their tel numbers? 8 ) 8 ) 8 )
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

OK ERIC , F.D Mercedes is not a bad car...............Please react to our posts now....Please..... :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

hentey wrote:OK ERIC , F.D Mercedes is not a bad car...............Please react to our posts now....Please..... :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent:
OK Hentey, seeing that you put it so nicely!

I will chat to Piet about the possibility of applying to the ORRA for the Hilux Forum. Remember, there is no guarantee that ORRA will accept us, we can but try!

Guys, just to put the record straight here: The only meaningful VHF frequency is the ORRA one, as it is licensed for use throughout RSA. I believe the Isuzu Club uses the same frequency as well, but I do not know whether this is the same frequency that the LCCSA uses or not. One would hope so, because in time of need (as opposed to senseless chatting) one would like as many people as possible to hear an SOS call.

I must just add here that the idea of a radio frequency is that it be used as a 'business tool' and not for people to discuss cake recipes etc. The frequency is shared amongst many users and should be regarded as an essential means of communication rather than a chat channel. This is in fairness to all co-users, no matter where they might be or what vehicle they may drive. Also, only plain language (i.e. no "colourful" language) is to be used and one risks confiscation of both, the licence and your vehicle, should you abuse this ruling.

Unnerstand? :twisted: :mrgreen: :thumbup:

-F_D

hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

YES BOSS. I fully agree. I was not under the impression that the hilux gang would get its own frequency.I really dont mind sharring it with the Isusu ouens or L/R guys. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Knersus »

Well the way I see it is that ORRA should have about 3 different frequency's to use. Same as in 29MHZ and this will able us to use VHF radio's and not having a problem that any other convoy or person might be blocking your communication on one channel. On the other hand the use of HF on long distances is great and you will get someone to talk to somewhere in the world at any time but to use HF you must understand it and that is sometimes where the problem is with HF communication. So if you are going into the bundu's and not have a HF radio in one of the vehicles I recommend the sat phone option. So lekker but so lekker expensive as well but surely there are no cost measured if you are in trouble :)
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

We need to cut Eric some slack,he is a very busy man.I don't now if i am allowed to say this but all that what we have dicussed so far is already taken much further on another forum.I can only see that it is of no use to spend more time and energy on this topic because all is done at "4x4 community" already.Why duplicate everything? You should've told us Eric,we really wasted your time........sorry
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hentey, if you really feel that way, bake me one of those 5-minute coffee cup cakes... I'll put the kettle on in the meanwhile. Absolutely no problem, much of the info is here as well, but it is a bit "hidden". Maybe I should make it a 'sticky'.

Here are the links:

TWO-WAY RADIO CONSIDERATIONS FOR 4X4 DRIVERS
http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/radios/index.php

This is a brief article explaining the different options available for consideration.

ICASA APPLICATION FORM
http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/radios/Landmo ... cation.pdf

This is only necessary should one want to apply for a 'Private Frequency'. It will not be necessary to complete one of these if you elect to join the ORRA and make use of their frequency. IMHO, the ORRA would be the preferred option, as the Licence is then available within a couple of days and it is a common frequency shared with other 4x4ers.

Two-Way Radio Mobile Antennas
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=14151

This one is not yet here, will have to work on it.

Guys, the VHF radio prices stated by Jaco in the original post here have come down by about R100, but the 29MHz radio prices have gone up by R60. This is a wildly fluctuating market and prices vary a lot as we manage to strike different deals with the Suppliers. Every shipment we get seems to command different prices!

-F_D

SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Thanks Eric for all your assistance so far on this fred :thumbup: :thumbup:

The reason I started this was because at Berakah I really missed radio comms and some members indicated that they are looking at buying.

Looking at the votes it is clear that a lot of members have gone the 29 route already, but also that there are more that want to go VHF.

It does not seem like a lot of the Gauteng members have radios and keeping in mind that the price difference between 29 and VHF is now less than R500 it seems like the perfect opportunity to go for VHF in Gauteng. So let’s see how many names we can get on the list for a group buy.

VHF Group buy list (+/- R2350 includes Radio and Antenna):

1) SuidWes
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

OK, so it does'nt look like we will get a group buy going.... :problem:

If you do decide to purchase a radio FD is the man to speak too :thumbup:

Over and out :arrow:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Jaco,

Will still help you at the price mentioned, I have already bought stock and will pass the benefit on. :) We won't sit with the other radios, stock moves fairly well these days, for some reason.

-F_D

SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Thanks Eric, will send you a PM :thumbup:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

SuidWes wrote:

1) SuidWes
2) Scorpion
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

And then there where two :clap:

Any others :?:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Here are some of the specifications of the recommended VHF radios:

KENWOOD TK7102
TK-7102_8102.jpg
TK-7102_8102.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 28083 times
Frequency Range: 136 - 162MHz; 146 - 174MHz
No. of Channels: 4
Scan: Yes
CTCSS Tones: Yes
Remote Mount: No.
Dimensions (WxHxD): 160 x 43 x 107 mm

VERTEX VX2100
Vertex VX2100.jpg
Vertex VX2100.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 28084 times
Frequency Range: 136 - 174MHz
No. of Channels: 8
Scan: Yes
CTCSS Tones: Yes
Remote Mount: No.
Dimensions (WxHxD): 165 x 45 x 155 mm

Both Radios meet or exceed the American MilSpec 810 C,D E for Dust, Vibration/Shock & Temperature.

-F_D

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

hentey wrote:We need to cut Eric some slack,he is a very busy man............. You should've told us Eric,we really wasted your time........sorry

Nonsence :!: :shock:

Eric loves to tickle his keyboard and hand out advice and goodies :P

he'll even change your Avator :o:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote: Nonsence :!: :shock:

ME????

No, never! :o: Why would I do that? :roll:

-F_D

Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Family_Dog wrote:

ME????

-F_D
Change mine - I dare ya! :twisted: (And if I don't like I come drive over Hot Dog aka Shorty with Bosbeer... :shock: :twisted: )
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Scorpion wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:

ME????

-F_D
Change mine - I dare ya! :twisted: (And if I don't like I come drive over Hot Dog aka Shorty with Bosbeer... :shock: :twisted: )

Scorps, I would never do that. It's impolite!

-F_D

Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

FD, do I look like a gay dwarf? :evil: Change it to something decent or Shorty "get's it"... :shock: :twisted:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Scorpion wrote:FD, do I look like a gay dwarf? :evil: Change it to something decent or Shorty "get's it"... :shock: :twisted:
Kinda cute, ain't it? :mrgreen:

Seeing you asked me so nicely, I searched for a "Bosbeer" image with Google, and that's what came up!

I will now Google for "Bush Bear", let's see what the image brings.

Bush Bear.jpg
Bush Bear.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 27989 times

Oops... now is that what you really want?? :o: :roll:

-F_D

SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

This weekend we had some comms again - 4 members and two guides on 29's :clap: :clap:

Who else is interested :?:

1) SuidWes
2) Scorpion
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Family_Dog wrote:
Scorpion wrote:FD, do I look like a gay dwarf? :evil: Change it to something decent or Shorty "get's it"... :shock: :twisted:
Oops... now is that what you really want?? :o: :roll:

-F_D
Those are questions you'll have to ask yourself, Eric... Do you really want Bosbeer to use Shorty as articulation practise? :wth:
Family_Dog wrote:
Kinda cute, ain't it? :mrgreen:

-F_D
Do you think Shorty will look cute after Bosbeer cocks his leg on him? :twisted:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

SuidWes wrote:This weekend we had some comms again - 4 members and two guides on 29's :clap: :clap:

Who else is interested :?:

1) SuidWes
2) Scorpion
Dit was amper net oneway comms gewees :)
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Cassie, I wonder if your antenna and/or cable & connector is not giving problems? Did you perhaps try the following:

* Swap your microphone with another GX300 for a test
* Swap the radio complete with another one for a test?

Otherwise, you will either have to come visit me or post the radio to me so that we can check it out for you.

-F_D

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”