Hoe om `n Braaier tebou. (UIT STEEN)

A pozie for recipes, drinks, braai tricks, boererate & all that delicious things...
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Hoe om `n Braaier tebou. (UIT STEEN)

Post by Gertc »

Nou dat dit winter raak vind ek dit nodig om `n braaier in/onder my lapa tebou. het julle dalk raad/planne.

Lengte van skoorsteen?

Grote van Skoorsteen L x B x H

Grote van braaier opening L x B x H
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Hoe om `n Braaier tebou. (UIT STEEN)

Post by Family_Dog »

Gert, kom kyk hoe lyk myne agter, dit is sommer ook ;n 'stereo braaier'...

Dit is nou donker, sal kyk of ek onthou om more fotos te neem van hom.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Gert, the biggest mistake that I made when I built mine is that I made it too small .... grid size 900 x 400 ..... :( The problem is that I did'nt envisage the number of people that I would be braaing for and we've often had to do it in relays. Even now with kids out the home, having a couple of friends over and the grid gets full. Another aspect to consider (which again I did not), but depends on space available, is to have a braai 'pedestal' and suspended stack so that folk can stand around it and chat while braaing. This concept is lekker, but space hungry ... especially if you have a larger group that you want to seat at tables under the gazebo ... then a fireplace off to one side would be best (use the narrowest end of the gazebo or the place least suitable for putting a table). A large opening at least accommodates more than one person to attend to the meat or to just stand and chat. I have since built many for clients, some large enough to accommodate a sheep on a spit ... others even larger to have a gas braai to one side and prep surface on the other with the fire in the centre, all in one opening.

My stack is only 2m high with an internal measurement of 200 x 400 mm and works well no matter how hard or from which direction the wind is blowing. BUT there is a smoke shelf built in and the top of the stack is not capped, ... the top edges of the stack are sloped up at about 40° toward the centre. This deflects wind upwards and helps the stack to draw. You could fit a 'Whirlybird' or a vane, but when there is little air movement these gadgets sometimes cause a restriction or reverse airflow ... especially the vane.

Cannot remember if I took any pics of those that I built ... will have a look. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I went and took a couple of snaps, have cropped the 'untidy' parts that were not necessary for the view ;)

The braai comprises two identical braais, you can see which one is in use mostly... but there are times when we use both when there are larger groups around. The chimney tapers into a smaller one about half the original size outside and we have never experienced any smoke being released into the enclosed summer house, the smoke either rises straight up or is carried away by whatever wind takes it away. As Andy said, don't go too small. My braai grids are roughly 800mm square, haven't measured them but they seem large enough.
Stereo Braai.jpg
Gert, I suggest you bring over some of that lekker wors and we can try it out... :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Eric, what you say confirms the need for space inside and around a braai. Without trying to be critical, what I would have done differently in your case, would have been to make one large opening instead of having the dividing wall. A couple of pre-stressed concrete lintels would have handled that span with ease.

Gert, I looked but couldn't find any pics of the braais I have built, except for this one a few years ago .... maybe not the best example. Instead of concrete lintels I used a teak railway sleeper, high enough away from the heat to avoid charring. There is also a smoke shelf built in and the stack tapers internally down to 200 x 400mm for the last 1.5 metres IIRC. There is also internal lighting built in higher up at the sides where the heat is not too bad (fire is in the centre). The actual size is a little deceptive in the pics but the internal base area is about 800mm deep and 1.6metres wide.
IM002077.JPG
IM002078.JPG
IM002079.JPG

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Thanx for all the info.

My idee is to use a 600 x 800 grid. But I want to install the grid at a fixed hight. But the fire grid must be able to move up and down ( Motorized of cause). That way you can drop the fire after a braai and just enjoy the fire.

Good / Bad idea?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A novel idea ... and we tried it one, not motorised but mechanical lifting / dropping of the fire. Problem is rust of the mechanical components as well as the fire tray. The tray issue we solved using 1mm gauge stainless ... doesn't burn through, but the rest remained problematic. Easier in the long term to raise / lower / remove the grid. One just has eyes on the sides of the grid where you can fit cold handles to move / remove it. :wink:

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Thanx Andy will keep it in mind.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Gert... net nog iets om in gedagte te hou. As die opening voor te hoog is dan gaan die rook eerder voor wil uit in plaas van in die skoorsteen op.
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Stem saam met Cassie. Enigste manier om myne te toets is om te braai... Now, waar's daai lekker wors, Gert? :twisted:

Andy, your braai looks very smart! For some reason, I wanted a 'double braai', so decided to take that route. Although we have never experienced any problems, I would have preferred a double wall between the two braais... don't know why I never did that at the time. My braai was sort of designed during its building process and works well. Now that it's light, I can see that the chimney extends to about a meter above the roof line. I think the narrowing of the chimney leads to a sort of venturi effect and draws the smoke out.

-F_D

Return to “Braai and recipes”