Hilux 4x4
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Friends of Barking Mad

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users
Congratulations to: CMK (40) on their birthday today.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 4x4 Training Course 
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '95 2.4l P D/C Raider
Post 4x4 Training Course
I have just completed an excellent 4x4 training course with Smith Advance Driving Courses (SADC). Johan Smith is a most personable instructor with the experience and expertise that allowed me (and 2 mates) to test and enjoy the capabilities of my bakkie. Johan was able to quickly gauge my level of knowledge and experience and the day began with a brief but exhilarating introductory 'spin' on some minor dunes (at Atlantis, WP). Thereafter a comprehensive theoretical overview followed by more uncharted 'duning'. I felt like a child in a giant sandpit :) :) :)

The dunes were followed by another relatively uncharted route around the Silwerstroom Strand farm which lies adjacent to Koeberg Nature Reserve and the Silwerstroom Pavilion. This is pristine coastal Fynbos and under Johan's eagle eye we were able to have lots of fun without doing any damage to the environment. Following a delicious lunch, served in comfort and style near the beach, we tackled some steep hill climbs and interesting cross-axle obstacles. Articulation is the key and Johan gives the right amount of instruction to let you make mistakes, repeat the obstacle, and internalise what he has explained and you have experienced.

We also practised a hi-lift recovery after purposefully digging in some deep, loose, beach-type sand as well as kinetic/snatch recovery. Johan kindly dug his Disco in at all 4 wheels and then instructed us on the how's and why's of kinetic recovery. His only proviso in allowing us to 'recover' him; "No photos of a Hilux recovering a Landrover allowed!!!!"

The day lasted from 09:00 till 15:00, with the option to return to Atlantis dunes for unsupervised play.
All in, R1000,00 which included all necessary permits and certification, use of recovery equipment and lunch,cold drinks etc for 3.

I have absolutely no affiliation to SADC prior to this morning, and was referred to Johan via a 4x4 instructor in the E. Cape. Having done another 4x4 course some years ago I can attest to the value-for-money, learning experience and fun fun fun that Johan offers.

You can contact him (Johan Smith) on:
082 578 5526 or johansadc@mweb.co.za

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:44 pm

Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2004, DC, KZTE
Post Re: 4x4 Training Course
Adin, good to know.

I think it would be beneficial for the not so experienced guys if we can get someone like Johan to present a course similar to the one you described and give us a good rate for forum members. Let me know who will be interested.

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ] 
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:47 pm