Roots4x4 great for Lesotho tours

We like to moan when we receive bad service, but why not praise somebody for exceptional service your received from them for a change? Do it here, let us know who we can use and who we can trust.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:09 am

Hi All,

I have been wanting to do a Lesotho trip for a long time but did not want to tackle it alone. So I started looking at tour operators and man some are really expensive. Then I stumbled upon http://www.roots4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Andrew went out of this way to sort out a package for us. The service and really quick replies received was amazing and the pricing very reasonable, especially if you can get three vehicles to go. He caters for smaller groups that makes it really nice.

We wanted to go now during the October school holidays for a short trip, but now I cant get people to accompany anymore and I might have to cancel. Still a bit depressed, but also not sure about the political state of Lesotho. Again no issues from Andrew, THey operate from Underberg and I would really recommend them if you are in the market for such a trip.

grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 am

Here is the summary of the trip we were planning from 8-12 October (excluded below is the extra travelling days on hte 8th to Underberg and another stay over on the 11th at Golden Gate), just to give you an idea of what they offer.

They can also do longer trips and can change as required.

PS: If someone is interested to still join us in this trip let me know and maybe Andrew is not yet booked on these dates... can maybe still then make it happen. can send you more detail on pricing etc.

"Day 1- 9 october
Meet in Underberg 8-830am , a quick briefing on the trip and re-fuel vehicles etc. travel via Himeville to Sani pass to begin the tour. Sani pass takes roughly 2 hours from leaving underberg to reaching the top depending on stops made. once reaching the top there is a Lesotho border stop where we will stamp passports, there are no visas required. after visiting the pub we take a short 4x4 trail out to the escarpment near the pub. After this we head approx 10km inland to the sani stone lodge. this is our stay for the night, after checking in we can explore the other 4x4 trail up the Pitsaneng valley. higher than sani pass above 3000m, followed by dinner and a relaxing evening at the lodge. (lodges in lesotho are generally basic but have all you will need)

cost of this is R650 per adult and R325 for kids this includes everything except breakfast and lunch. the dinner is a 3 course meal.

Day 2 – 10 october
after an early breakfast we depart the lodge and head up the black mountain pass onwards towards Mokhotlong,we turn south west and take a gravel 4x4 track towards thaba tseka. and onwards to our second nights atop at Katse Lodge. This is a long day and sights will be very rewarding. i would not recommend the terios as there will be some difficult areas requiring low range and good clearance. on route we can stop where ever we like for lunch and photographs. travel time approx 6-7 hours to be safe, maybe less as we do not get reports on any road conditions.
Arrive at katse lodge. meals can be eaten in the lodge as there is a restaurant but the houses are self catering and braais can be done etc. After a long day feel free to relax and do what you like.

cost of katse lodge is R1500 for a 6 sleeper and R996 for a 4 sleeper as mentioned. there are a few units still available at that time.

Day 3- 11 october
After breakfast there is a tour of the dam wall if you like, this is R10 and starts at 9am, after this we would have to depart in order to not have to rush the day. from here we will attempt a track the runs on the side of the dam before joining tar again at lejone and heading towards the border. exit border. this will be towards the mid afternoon and will allow you some time to see golden gate on your way home.

Other Costs

fuel- if you have long range you will be fine unless they are serious gas guzzlers. on garmin basecamp the base route is just under 500km within lesotho , this does not include 4x4 trails.
border fees- R60 if over 3000kg anything under that is R30 and that will just be at the Sani Border entry.
cash- rands are accepted- it is good to carry some in case- curios etc are on sale at some places. most places dont take cards. "

Return to “Good Service”

• Information