Nico Van Zyl
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux D/Cab 2.4 4x4

Bying a Prado 2nd hand??

Post by Nico Van Zyl »

Good day to all on the forum!!

I need some advise. I was lucky enough to enjoy a weekend in a friends Prado (2007 model). It was the 4.0 V6 model and man does it have some serious power. My question now to everyone..........do you buy a Prado with 100,000+ km on the clock??? I'm specifically looking at the 4.0 V6 model but don't want to spend more than R300,000 on a vehicle and the vehicles I have seen in this price range all have very close to that 100,000 km mark or over.

All your comments will be welcomed.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Bying a Prado 2nd hand??

Post by Family_Dog »

No problems at all! The 3.4 litre V6 is good for at least 800,000km (there is one on the LC forum with that mileage) and the engine is sweet as ever and has never been touched. Pradog was bought with 275,000km and it is is just run in.

The 4-litre engines are probably as good as its forefathers. :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Nico, yes you can. The 4.0 V6 seems to be bulletproof. I suppose 400 000km + without any major mishaps is possible. I also think Toyota would not have fitted this engine in the Land Cruiser Pick up, if it cannot live up to the legendary reliability of the LC.

I bought a V6 Prado a month ago. I've had a long search before buying. But all the Prado's I checked out were clean, and had no real major issues, according to the history at Toyota. Just do the regular checks, and you'll be fine.

You won't regret it. It is a great all rounder. Only issue for me is packing space, compared to a DC bakkie. But nothing a trailer can't solve.

Oh, and also, if you buy a Prado, you should not be worried about fuel consumption, as I'm sure you're aware that it is not the most economical car on the planet.

But take your time, if you're lucky, you may get one with under 100 000km.
At Toyota in Klerksdorp, there is a good clean Prado, Gold, beige interior, 2005, 103 000km on the odo, for R299 000. But it has been there for a while. Maybe you can negotiate a better price. I wanted to buy this Prado, but the salesman was to slapgat to do a deal, even after complaining to the manager, so I bought another one.
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Riaan, that Prado was sold about two weeks ago. Unless the deal fell through? But it is a very spic and span Prado, I looked at it as well (after I had already bought PraDog for just over a third of the price).

Some very good deals with Prados out there.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Nope, not sold yet. Probably because...... laat ek eerder op my hande sit......
Saw it there today, without the BIG sold thingy on the dash.

I had a "llok at it last week (to prove my point about something), and the abovementioned salesman said there was a finance app on it. But seems it fell through.

But seriously Nico, you won't regret buying a Prado. :thumbup:
ImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I'm looking for a 2000 ish Model, V6 3.4ltr, trading Dadz Hilux preferably = anyone asblf :?:
Nico Van Zyl
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux D/Cab 2.4 4x4

Post by Nico Van Zyl »

Thanks guys all your comments noted. For interest sake can you guys tell me what kind of fuel consumption you get with your vehicles in town and on the open road?
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I get the same fuel consumption with the Prado as I get with any of the Hilux's. Seems to average 6.5km per litre, but I haven't really checked the figures that closely. Not bad for a 1.8 ton V6 Auto!

-F_D

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Family_Dog wrote:Not bad for a 1.8 ton V6 Auto!
Wonder why they never brought it out in a V8 Manuel :?: :?:
I have watched a clip on youtube about Prados and man are they able, never thought they were that good, its like a wolf in sheep's clothing.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Jaco, I have come to realise that the Prado is a very underestimated piece of machinery! It is a fantastic vehicle, but has comfort, power, capability and even luxury! :thumbup:

-F_D

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Since going to Lesotho, and doing a fairly decent trail, with my Prado, I'm considering selling my Hilux.
Not doing any rough stuff anyway, and the Prado is capable of doing the things I require it to do.
The Prado is probably one of the best all rounder cars on the face of this earth!
ImageImage
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

How do you add a youtube clip so I can show you what I saw :?:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Spartan wrote:How do you add a youtube clip so I can show you what I saw :?:
While viewing the youtube clip, copy the complete address (URL) in you address bar. Post the copied text here. If you want to show the clip in this forum, first click the YouTube button above where you post your message and then paste the URL between the brackets

Code: Select all

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZRLL-pU-Gg[/YouTube]
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Thanks Cas :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Last edited by CasKru on Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed Youtube link
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Nee jong die goed wil nie werk nie :thumbdown:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Forgot to mention that you must only copy the first part of the URL before the ampersand (&).
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: Aaaag dankie ou maat :thumbup: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mudplugga
Town: Randpark Ridge
Vehicle: 2.7 DC 4x4 1999

Post by Mudplugga »

I was also considering selling the platkar after driving to Zeerust on the R509 last week and seeing trucks with ruined tyres caused by potholes.

But already have a 2.7i Hilux so we dont really need 2 heavy drinkers in the family :naah: I was considering the KZTE around 2002 model so it can be bought cash and then tidy it up nicely over time. Is the diesel much better on consumtion than V6 ? I guess SAC can do some good stuff with that motor to wake it up a bit ?

Any advice appreciated.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Found one for you in Gordon's Bay.

Very clean example.
Washed regularly.
Might have slight water damage.
Boat not included...
swemprado.jpg
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:I'm looking for a 2000 ish Model, V6 3.4ltr, trading Dadz Hilux preferably = anyone asblf :?:
Speak to Traveller, his friend was selling one, maybe it's still available. Had a look at it sometime ago and it seemed fine.

Nico, that videoclip says it all! Vellies proved it again at Heidelberg 4x4 at a rocky section where most battled and the Prado gently climbed it's way to the top. I dont know about the V6, I have the diesel but just as capable and much more economical (8.2Km/l). But overall a lovely vehicle.
Last edited by Ou vale1 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

EINA :sick:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Bullebak
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Prado VX 2008

Post by Bullebak »

Ek het n Prado 2008 VX gekoop 195,000 km op die klok vir R 140 000 was dit n normale prys , moet shocks vervang dis ok , maar iets bekommer my wanneer ek stop teen n opdraande en ek haal my voet van die briek af dan skop die anti skid in,is dit normal of slaan ek nou my naam met n plank , het n Pajero ook en hy doen dit glad nie ??
booster
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Ssangyong

Post by booster »

Bullebak wrote:Ek het n Prado 2008 VX gekoop 195,000 km op die klok vir R 140 000 was dit n normale prys , moet shocks vervang dis ok , maar iets bekommer my wanneer ek stop teen n opdraande en ek haal my voet van die briek af dan skop die anti skid in,is dit normal of slaan ek nou my naam met n plank , het n Pajero ook en hy doen dit glad nie ??
Klink vir my na n bargain. Is self in die mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

maar iets bekommer my wanneer ek stop teen n opdraande en ek haal my voet van die briek af dan skop die anti skid in,is dit normal of slaan ek nou my naam met n plank ,
Ek ken nie hulle specs nie, maar is dit nie die "hill start assist" ? Dit help dat kar nie agteruit rol voor jy wegtrek teen 'n bult.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

pietpetoors wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:44 pm
maar iets bekommer my wanneer ek stop teen n opdraande en ek haal my voet van die briek af dan skop die anti skid in,is dit normal of slaan ek nou my naam met n plank ,
Ek ken nie hulle specs nie, maar is dit nie die "hill start assist" ? Dit help dat kar nie agteruit rol voor jy wegtrek teen 'n bult.
Dit is net soos Pieter se daarso. Die Hill start assist/ hill start hold wat die voertuig nie laat agteruit loop nie.
Johan Marais
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

100 k km is nie rerig n probleem meganies maar die 150 het al te veel elekronise gadgets na my sin wat mag probleme gee. TSA gee tot 8 jaar velengde waarborg en is nie duur nie. Dalk die moeite werd as jy 2e hands koop, gegewe die waarborg moet kan vereleng word, maw nie ouer as 3 jaar. Myne se lugsuspensie pompe het begin raas. Dit het 3 dae gevat om in en uit te bou , so kon paar Rand gewees het, as jy daarvoor moes betaal. :eh:

Maar as jy min genoeg betaal kan jy seker maar ook die goed wat wel verkeerd gaan reg maak.

Maar dis nog beter as n nuwe hilux :lmao:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2001 Prado 3.4 VX

Post by mervyn »

Hi Guys.

Firstly before I dig into the questions I have, I like to say a warm HELLO :thumbup: to all the members and my friends, especially since I have not been on the forum for quite a while. :yahoo: This was largely attributed to the sale of my SFA a few years ago, although I still have my Prado, which is the subject I want to raise a few questions on.

So you guys may recall in 2013 I bought my 3.4 V6 Prado? (https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... yn#p400802). Back then it had just over 210 000 kms and it now has almost 280k. It is currently having its 280k service at the Dealer. So in the 8 years I have had it I only put on 70 000 kms and have hardly used it off road. It used to pull my boat around which I subsequently sold. But now i am thinking of selling it and moving on as I have other plans... It is sad as it has been our 'go to' long distance vehicle, for comfort, speed, safety and everything else the Prado brings with it.

So my question is what do I take into consideration to establishing a sale price? The Prado is in awesome condition. No accidents. Everything works (save for the backdoor opening with the remote, which has been the issue since I bought it). I have added a LED bar and it has a double din, navigation and touch screen sound system with a reverse camera. The engine still sounds so sweet and balanced and I have FSH from Toyota since I bought it. I removed the cats shortly after buying it and have no regrets there. It still rides like a dream. Tyres are almost new and apart for a few scuff marks on the bumper, it is sound. Have never had any major repairs either. In my opinion, it must be seen to be appreciated as it is in very good condition.

So apart from the above what else would someone want to know and what price range should I pitch a sale for? Will appreciate all the advice and suggestions and welcome further questions.

Looking forward to chatting again.

P.S. Also have an alu roof rack for it which I plan to sell separately. Used it once I think.
ImageImageImageImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Does it have diff lock or not. They normally only went for about R70k but I saw a nice one at webuycars the other day for R110k , so it seems like prices may be climbing.

I always check at similar vehicles on Gumtree and Autotrader. Autotrader always over priced, but a good indication you you might get in very good condition and a bit of patience. In the end the price is what it is worth to you and how quick you want to sell.

No matter what you advertise it for you will immediately get those arseholes who will offer you half of what you advertised it for, don't get angry, just realize that the 30% pass rate affected everybody in the country.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Thanks Pieter. Yes it does have a diff lock. Thanks for the tips, will be patient. :thumbup: Its is not a urgent sale fortunately. :D:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Prices definitely went up, I see there is nice one in Potjiesdorp for R140k.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Mervyn, Mervyn, Mervyn... How COULD you contemplate selling that gem?!?!?!?!?! PraDog still serves me faithfully, to my mind it is the last of the GOOD Prados. I could NEVER think of selling PraDog - ever! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

I am shocked :o: :o: :o:

But... anyone who overlooks buying this car would miss out on a real motoring experience, it is the epitome of, well, everything one would want in a good solid SUV!

-F_D

mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Hey Eric, missed chatting with you. You are absolutely correct. Its a hard decision to make and as you said its a solid vehicle. Its sad Eric but I am constrained to part with her.

And yes Pieter I did some digging around too and I see good ones are upward of R140k.

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”