Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 89 Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 - 3Y & '92 Hilux D/Cab 4x4 2.7i

Prado 90 series oil leak - Petrol V6

Post by Duwayne »

Leaking by bellhousing
Wot you guys think the diagnosis will be?
Any thoughts on possible costs to pull engine and repair? thanks
PRADO's are awesome!
Attachments
26082010(005).jpg
26082010(002).jpg
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: Prado 90 series oil leak - Petrol V6

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Rear main crank seal or gearbox seal, had the same on my SFA. Make sure you replace with genuine Toyota seals :writing:
Sent from my iPhone
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Rebel beat me to it...

Usually it's either the gearbox spigot shaft seal or the engine rear main crank seal...

Is it an auto or manual? I'm not sure what type of rear gearbox seal an auto box has!

Mr B
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I agree on the Toy original seal... the pirates don't last much more than 1000km's... learnt that the hard way!
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Duwayne »

THANKS GUYS FOR THE QUICK REPLY - AUTO GEARBOX MUCH APPRECAITED!
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Duwayne »

WOULD I HAVE TO PULL OUT THE ENINGE TO FIX OR JUST THE GEARBOX?= IF EITHER OR gearbox spigot shaft seal or the engine rear main crank seal
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Duwayne, with the gearbox removed, you can get access to both seals... pulling to engine is a huge job compared to pulling the gearbox...

First time I did those seals I pulled the engine... never again... much rather the GB...
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Duwayne »

ja thx
Toyota quote:
gearbox spigot shaft seal - R188.00
engine rear main crank seal - R302.08
Toyota labour +/- R8hours = R3800
rather try myself with oupa helping :)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

if you can get a gearbox support jack somewhere... 90% of the problems are solved!
mixotricha
Town: ACT
Vehicle: Prado Ser 90

Post by mixotricha »

Heya guys,

This is my first post in the Hilux forums and I know this is an ancient thread so please bear with me. I recently picked up a 1998 Prado 90 Series V6 5VZ-FE Automatic.

Has got through road worthy inspection with literally no problems. As close as the inspector would come was to ask my girl to replace the parking bulbs in the front bumper!

Now don't get me wrong I am happy as **** about that but also a bit meticulous and paranoid. To me this is utterly amazing for a vehicle that is approaching half 1/2 my age and I know that it is going to have problems if I don't go over the whole thing.

Sure enough long story short I can see in the last service a note about the rear main seal. It has done 380000 and I can feel the oil around the bell housing with my finger. Is not dripping on ground but it will be in the bash plate and at some point she will be due to go.

So while I am waiting for the manual and some other bits to turn up :

1. Without a lift and doing this from the ground does anyone have any idea roughly how high I need to jack it up at the front for the transmission to clear from out under it? I have a low profile 3000kg lift jack that will go up to 550mm and some good quality 3000kg pin stands that will go up to about 476mm. Once I have the beast up on the stands I was planning to use the jack and one of those jack transmission adapters with the angle adjustment on it and if I need a bit more strength maybe some extra craddle welded up to that out of angle iron to lower the transmission down and roll it forwards. My worry is about having enough space to get the transmission out and forwards after jacking it up. I am hoping I wont need to be going to the height of the stands or even higher with wooden blocks since taking it up that high makes me a bit leery!

2. Am I better to get the transfer case out and then the gear box out in two separate parts or should I do both of em in one go? I know it is going to be heavy. I've done a small transmission up on a lift before down on to an oil drum but doing it on the ground with this monster that would like to squash me flat is a whole new ball game!

3. Following on from assuming I have actually paid attention to my workshop safety modules from years past and I make it out alive what other seals and gaskets should I go for? Any seals in the transfer case? Any seals in In either end of the gearbox? What about the gasket in the retainer for the rear main seal? Basically if anyone has any tips about this job or things I will wish I had done once it is all back together I would love to hear about it now rather than later.

4. Lastly the female of my species would not surprisingly actually like to be out driving it and not just staring at it in the garage in bits. It is not her daily drive but she wants to take it out and use it. She is not planning to drive it over mountains or towing a boat with it but I am inclined to ground it right now until it is fixed. What do you reckon?

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”