Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
Groen
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: VW Polo

To Vibrate or not to vibrate

Post by Groen »

My 'new' 2001 3.4 V6 Prado (225 000km) does not vibrate when in 'PARK' but as soon as I shift to 'DRIVE' it starts to vibrate. As soon as I drive off the vibration is gone. Is this normal?

I suspected the exhaust at first, because I had the branch repaired recently and also had the catalic converter removed and replaced by a straight length of pipe. I took it back to the shop, but they assure me it's not touching anywhere. As far as I could see they are telling the truth.

What can it be? :confused:
Groen
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: To Vibrate or not to vibrate

Post by Mud Dog »

From what you describe, when putting the vehicle into gear the revs drop as the motor comes under load of the auto-box / torque converter. Whatever is rattling / vibrating is only doing so at these low revs which could be either resonance or that the motor is idling too low and starts to run rough. Either way, if you never had the problem before, it's very likely to be the exhaust that was worked on. What you could do is to hold the vehicle with the handbrake while putting it into 'Drive' with the added precaution of wheel chocks, so that you can safely get under the vehicle and find the source of the rattle (check the exhaust first by holding it steady using an asbestos welder's glove or some old rags to protect your hands). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

What you could do is to hold the vehicle with the handbrake while putting it into 'Drive' with the added precaution of wheel chocks, so that you can safely get under the vehicle....
Shudder... Not me, No Sirree!!! I want to live long enough to become an "ou toppie"!! :naah: :naah:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: Jy's 'gwala', heh?! :laugh2: :laugh2:

OK, if one doesn't trust the handbrake and wheel chocks, then ask someone to sit inside and hold the foot brake as well. (Personally I would prefer no-one to interfere .... less chance of an 'accident', I think).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Personally, I would be the one volunteering to sit inside the vehicle... :mrgreen:

Ain't no way on the h'yar Earth that I would ever be the one under the vehicle when it is in gear... handbrake, foot brakes, chocks notwithstanding!

Anyway... might it not be one of the following:?

Engine Mount
Gearbox Mount
Exhaust Mount

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”