Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pakistan
Vehicle: 2004 Prado TX

Engine Warning Light

Post by farazharoon »

In need of advice. 2004 Prado TX with diesel d4d engine.
For the past two weeks the Check Engine Light has been coming on.
Sometimes it doesn't come on. Other times it does usually about 20-30 minutes into the drive. If I turn off the car, and restart it it usually will go away and appear again 20 minutes later.

The symbol of the light is this one

Any suggestions for what this is about? What should I do?

Faraz Laldin
Last edited by farazharoon on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
--Mahatma Gandhi,
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Engine Warning Light

Post by OOOOMS »

Have the injectors checked, one is Not performong the way it should.

Does the motor go into 'limp' mode, when the light comes on?

It will happen at very low speed and if the revs are low?
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

OOOOMS wrote:Have the injectors checked, one is Not performong the way it should.

Oh dear that is not good. :alvarin: This is a D4D engine and I have heard of this problem before.

What do you mean by 'limp' mode?
I have not noticed any particular difference in the car when light is on.
--Mahatma Gandhi,
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

farazharoon wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:Have the injectors checked, one is Not performong the way it should.

Oh dear that is not good. :alvarin: This is a D4D engine and I have heard of this problem before.

What do you mean by 'limp' mode?
I have not noticed any particular difference in the car when light is on.
'limp mode' like a loss of power, the management system detects a fault, that's why the light comes on.

Rather have it checked out, because the problem will get worse not better.....sorry!
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

Went a mechanic he said it was not injector problem. Because otherwise the car does not go above like 1500 RPM. And at the moment the car drives fine. For example just a few days ago it was doing 160 kph on the highway fine.
Last edited by farazharoon on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
--Mahatma Gandhi,
Mieliemonster
Town: Ellisras
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by Mieliemonster »

Ek het dieselfde probleem met my KZ-TE gehaad. Dit was egter 'n draad op my dieselpomp wat rond gevoeter het. Ek het dit eers agter gekom na ek my injectors vervang het. Skool geld is duur :dash:
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

:banned: Well since it seems clear that when it is an injector problem the car does go into some kind of safe Rev limit mode, and since its not doing that. I think I can rule that out for now.

Any other suggestions for things to check?
Is there a computer diagnostic type thing that can tell me what is causing the light to come on?
--Mahatma Gandhi,
Kay-zet-tee-ee
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2001 Kzte D/c

Post by Kay-zet-tee-ee »

I had a similar problem just after I had my 2002 VX Kzte Prado serviced at SAC. The light came on at no particular time or after start-up, mostly after I went over a bump or something which could suggest a loose wire or plug connection. I asked a mechanic friend of mine that also drive a Prado and he asked if they washed the engine after the service, they did, so he suggested that it could be some of the wiring sensor plugs that heat up again after they've been wet and forms a kind of corrosion "dust" on the contact points and that I should unplug them and clean them with the engine off. Maybe try it before you replace other expensive parts.
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I suggest you take your vehicle to your local Toyota dealership for a thourough diagnostics. Whilst checking flash codes will point you in a direction it does not let you check realtime values (ecu readings) against actual values ie. coolant temperature ect. The vehicle does not have to be in limp mode for it to have an injector problem. This is where checking the realtime values will confirm this. There could also be dirt on an engine speed sensor for example. GET IT CHECKED
ImageImageImage
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota camry altise. Till I find a replacement hilux.

Post by rebuilder »

My van went to toyota today for the same problem. Its still under warrentee so im lucky. Found out that although the speedo is working, the computer speedo is not reading it correctly(or something like that) and puts the light on. The workshop foreman came to my work today and plugged in their diagnostic computer and drove it. Vehicle by them at the moment. Will let you know further what happens.
There is a madness about been mad that only a mad person can understand.
Diesel and dust is where home is at.
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

Found out why the light was coming on.

Two days ago I went to workshop which deals mostly with 4x4 vehicles. He was very helpful and anybody in the Rawalpindi Islamabad area should go to EFI Tech Workshop if they are need of a good mechanic. Turns out the the problem was the vehicle diagnostic code P0400 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction.) The mechanic Mr. Niaz was very helpful and explained very clearly why this code shows up and how it can be repaired. It is not a serious issue probably just a bad sensor.

Have to go back to the mechanic soon to get it fixed as he said it required a whole day to complete it that work. He said it is not a particularly serious problem and that I can come back when I have time.
Last edited by farazharoon on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Mahatma Gandhi,
Twa-nette
Town: polokwane
Vehicle: 2003 Toyota KZTE

Post by Twa-nette »

Hi almal ons ry ook n 2003 toyato hilux KZTE met n dash tech chip in en ondervind al vir die afgelope paar maande die problem van die management lig wat aan gaan en dan in limp mode gaan dat sy heel krag verloor toe dit 1ste keer gebeur het hul haar chip vervang na n paar maande toe sit ons met dieselfde probleem, die bakkie was amper n maand en n half by F1 technologie waar Andre gesukkel het en nie die probleem kon kry nie, nou het ons hom by Otto diesel center en al wat hul aanbeveel is dat ons die elektroniese pomp moet uithaal en vervang met n manual pomp ons bakkie is al reeds n maand by hom en hy kan ook nie die fout vas stel nie en het die bakkie sefls by bosch auto electritians gehad en hul kry ook nie die fout, my man wil nie graag die pomp na manual pomp laat verander nie want dan bypass hul die chip wat dan glad nie gaan werk nie en sodoende ook nie sy ref counter nie GROOT ASSEBLIEF GEE RAAD, en selfs die wat die verandering na manual pomp gedoen het kan jul ons vertel is daar groot verandering in brandstof en krag want op die oomblik is sy morsdood ons is regtig al raad op dit kos ons elke keer n klomp geld en sy bly dieselfde HELP!!!!!!! :beg:
Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Twa-nette, ek het so maand gelede dieselfde simptome gehad. (hoewel my bakkie nie gechip is nie.)

Sy het skielik wit rook uitgelaat en toe was die check engine lig aan en die limp mode ook aan. Lang storie kort, Toyota se computer het gese die fout le by "fuel supply timing" of so-iets en die uiteinde was n herboude dieselpomp van George Diesel (dit was die naaste betroubare verskaffer) en sy is nou topfiks!

Het julle die kode laat lees wat gestoor word as die check engine lig aankom?

Ek sou ook nie na manual pomp oorskakel nie. Die kz gebruik nie n "throttle" cable nie, maar n sensor so dit sal ook vervang moet word. Dit maak n nes van moontlike probleme oop!

Het jy dit oorweeg om die chip te verwyder en se vir n maand daarsonder te ry om te kyk of die probleem weg gaan? Recon dieselpomp is omtrent R9000 en nuwe (volgens Toyota) R30k!

Sterkte!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides