Series 90 Prado Recall by TSA - Take Note!

Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Series 90 Prado Recall by TSA - Take Note!

Post by Family_Dog »

TSA has issued a recall on Series 90 Prados. I don't know if this refers to the Diesel models as well, but I took my V6 3.4 VIN number to them this morning and my V6 petrol Prado is part of the recall. The recall has something to do with the rear axle. Give it a try.

From the LCCSA forum:
by Philippie Olivier » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:19 pm
Strange thing happened today! Prado went to Toyota to replace timing belt and they informed me that there is a re-call notice out on the 90 series Prado (ref SSC 11/2006/7) iro the Rear Axle Shaft. They informed me that the notice is a week old and that my Prado will have to go back in to replace Rear Axle with both RH & LH Shaft Kit. (Toy SA are paying)

In the printed sheet they gave me they mention there is 2 333 vehicles affected in the SA market!
PraDog is booked in for Wednesday morning. I hope that they have spares available for whatever they decide to do. The SM said they have ordered the spares already. I do not know what they look for, PraDog has no rear axle problems of which I am aware - no diff hum, no back-lash - nuffin'!

But who knows - maybe I end up getting a new diff with diff-lock for free! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Re: Series 90 Prado Recall by TSA - Take Note!

Post by Agteros »

Family_Dog wrote:TSA has issued a recall on Series 90 Prados. I don't know if this refers to the Diesel models as well, but I took my V6 3.4 VIN number to them this morning and my V6 petrol Prado is part of the recall. The recall has something to do with the rear axle. Give it a try.

From the LCCSA forum:
by Philippie Olivier » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:19 pm
Strange thing happened today! Prado went to Toyota to replace timing belt and they informed me that there is a re-call notice out on the 90 series Prado (ref SSC 11/2006/7) iro the Rear Axle Shaft. They informed me that the notice is a week old and that my Prado will have to go back in to replace Rear Axle with both RH & LH Shaft Kit. (Toy SA are paying)

In the printed sheet they gave me they mention there is 2 333 vehicles affected in the SA market!
PraDog is booked in for Wednesday morning. I hope that they have spares available for whatever they decide to do. The SM said they have ordered the spares already. I do not know what they look for, PraDog has no rear axle problems of which I am aware - no diff hum, no back-lash - nuffin'!

But who knows - maybe I end up getting a new diff with diff-lock for free! ;)

-F_D
Eric - very interesting - almost to the point of being fascinating! A recall on a 1998 model? Must say did not think it was possible. I have respect for Toyota :thumbup:
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

I stumbled across this thread in the FJ Cruiser forum.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/p ... lease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since the early FJ's shared underpinnings with the older Prado may be this is the reason for the recall? Later FJ's share the larger/stronger diffs of the later Prados AFAIK.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Spoke to eastvaal toyota now (formerly Kyalami) and this is an old recall - basically the actuator on the rear diff on some models was faulty and this will show up when you engage diff lock and disengage but the light does not come off.
James Cameron
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Oranje Toyota Klerksdorp phoned me this morning to reschedule the meeting as they claim they have to replace sideshafts but TSA has none in stock. PraDog does not have a rear diff lock (or maybe it does and the light has never come on... ;) ) but according to them my vehicle is definitely affected. So we wait and see!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Ok, mine has front and rear locks
James Cameron

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”