farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pakistan
Vehicle: 2004 Prado TX

Jump Starting a 1KD

Post by farazharoon »

Hello all,

I need helping in how to properly jump start a 1KD-FTV engine which has two batteries installed with it. The two batteries came factory installed in this 2004 Toyota Prado (JDM).
The manual I have and what I see under the hood seems very different. Should I connect the negative and positive to the same battery? If so which of the two should be used?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
--Mahatma Gandhi,
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Jump Starting a 1KD

Post by Mud Dog »

The Prado should have a 12V system, not a 24V system. What you most likely have is a dual battery system (2nd battery used to power after market extras which draw substantial current like fridge, Hi-Fi sound system amplifiers etc.).

The 2nd battery is not necessarily a 'cranking' battery and more likely to be a 'deep-cycle' battery which is not suitable for crank starting but can be used in an emergency (you may cause damage to the 2nd battery).

Best is to use an independent battery (like from another vehicle) and connect your jumper leads positive to positive and negative to negative (connect the independent battery to the one that has a negative cable attached to the engine block and positive cable to the starter solenoid). ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

I have worked on a couple of cruisers that has factory fitted deul batteries. They start 24v and the rest is12v. Follow the batterie cabels if they connect to a gadget with a couple of batterie cables on it its one of them. The gadget is the series parallel switch. In this case jump only one batterie at a time and if this does not work use two batteries and two sets of cables to jump with.
ImageImageImage
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

Not sure if this will help but here is a photo of the engine.

Can you help me identify the battery that has a negative cable attached to the engine block and positive cable to the starter solenoid?

Can take more up close photos if that helps.

Thanks for your help!
PHOTO CAN BE SEEN HERE
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BPvZk ... vk0HccFm4g
--Mahatma Gandhi,
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

OK, looks like those batteries are factory fitted and connected in series, i.e. 24V on the starter like Wim said. So do as he suggested ..... jump just one of the batteries (any one, but connect + to + and - to -) and see if there's enough power to start, otherwise you will have to get 2 jump batteries and connect both.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

I am not sure if it is a series connection between the batteries as the main thick cable which connects the two batteries connects the positive terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of the other battery. This makes me think the batteries are in "Parallel".

I think you are right that the passenger side battery (right side in the photo) is the main battery as it has several cables going from it down to the engine.

So if I need to jump both batteries which seems to be case as its not starting when I tried just one battery can I connect both of the Prado batteries to one battery from another car?

The other vehicle (A Mitsubishi Jeep) which has a good battery only has one battery. Do I take two sets of jumper cables and connect both of the Prado batteries to it?

Haha wow this starting to get complicated ;) Almost need a diagram.
Have made a diagram in MS Paint. Is that what I should do?

--Mahatma Gandhi,
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

If you have a multimeter than measure the volts on the 2 batteries.Try and jump the one with the lowest voltage
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
farazharoon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by farazharoon »

Just checked with multi-meter it seems the driver side battery (not the main one) is the lower showing only 9 volts. The main battery is showing 10 volts.

Once I get this jump started I want to investigate what is causing the batteries to discharge so quickly.
--Mahatma Gandhi,
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Why I assumed it to be a series (24V) connection is because I assumed that both batteries have the same pole configuration. If you're sure that it's parallel, then disconnect the secondary battery and connect your jumper cables / independent battery to the main one like George suggested. ;-)

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”