For those of us that don't know about suspensions.

Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
Nick (Nexus)
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2007 Prado 120 4L V6

For those of us that don't know about suspensions.

Post by Nick (Nexus) »

Hello all.
So I have finally acquired my 2007 Prado 120 (202000km's) and am having a great time with it.
On all the checkups everything looks like it is in great condition except the lower control arms in front.
They are showing some minor signs of wear and the suspension guys suggest changing them.

So the new Barbie doesn't have a suspension kit on it and I'm thinking Iron Man (Comments please).
Also I have heard about Camel suspension upgrades but don't know much about them.

If someone can please explain I would much appreciate it.
Pictures of the Barbie will follow in a few days when I get a chance to take.

Thank you
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Re: For those of us that don't know about suspensions.

Post by mcw »

Hi Nicolaas

congrats on the new toy ,many people on this forum will refer you to Darryl at Mikem Suspension in Joburg
the service there is very good

137 Eloff St, Johannesburg, 2001
011 493 5181

Martin
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Another option

I fitted EFS ( supplied fitted by Creative Wheels, Boksburg) and am extremely happy with it, got a 50mm lift aswell.
Nick (Nexus)
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nick (Nexus) »

Thank you for this will keep it in mind.

What I actually want to know is this. Is the Camel (or EFS) suspension and upgrade to an existing suspension.
Does it come before one does the Iron Man, OME or Opposite Lock?

What does it do exactly?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Nick

CONGRATS on the lovely addition to the family :)

There is no one size fit all when it comes to suspension.

TAR - you want a relatively stiff shock absorber, for a more stable ride

OFF ROAD - now you want a soft shock with long travel, to absorb the bumps and to ensure all four tires remain in contact with the ground when you encounter undulating terrain ... :)

Then almost as a side issue you need to consider your springs/coils .... If you add a heavy steel bumper, a winch, a dual tire carrier at the back, etc etc your Prado will soon look like a low rider - flat on the ground.

Thus doing a "suspension upgrade" is an exercise where you need to know your planned weight, and you need to make a call on the type of shocks for "road holding" (which is no a compromise between tar and gravel..)

Johan Tires did the suspension upgrade on my Hilux - IRON MAN - and asked a good few questions before selecting the coils, springs, and shocks. 60 000 km later I am still VERY HAPPY :)
Nick (Nexus)
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nick (Nexus) »

Thank you all for the feedback.

This vehicle is more for on tar use than off. Not really a daily drive but also not an every weekend away vehicle either.
My first choice was the OME suspension (until I saw the price which made me think again).

I have heard only good things about the Iron Man so am leaning towards that.
Also I agree that I should first get the weight on with the extras, like rear bumper and double wheel carrier before doing the suspension.
It already has a TJM front bumper and place for a winch so will take that into account.

But from what I see here a Camel suspension would be a different brand to OME, Iron Man and Opposite Lock just to name a few?
If that is the case I will then continue to look at the Iron Man as first choice.

In the meantime will have the lower control arms and bushes done as this seems the first order of business.

Thanks all!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

I had mine done in 2010 ... many other brands became available since then.

In 2010 OME (Old Man Emu) was THEE suspension to have, with IronMan almost 30% cheaper at the time.

I dont do trails every weekend, but have done the odd grade 4 section. Mostly we tour, with many many tar kilometers before we do get to our destination and some gravel roads. For this the IronMan has given us superb service.

I am sure the dedicated Atlantis driver may well have a better suited suspension, as will those that do heavy trails every couple of weeks.

PS - I remember another thread where one of the suppliers offer a discount to Hilux club members ... think Thys got some of those ..... may just be an option :)
Nick (Nexus)
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nick (Nexus) »

Thank you for that Chris
Will keep it in mind.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

Nick (Nexus) wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:27 pm Thank you all for the feedback.

This vehicle is more for on tar use than off. Not really a daily drive but also not an every weekend away vehicle either.
My first choice was the OME suspension (until I saw the price which made me think again).

I have heard only good things about the Iron Man so am leaning towards that.
Also I agree that I should first get the weight on with the extras, like rear bumper and double wheel carrier before doing the suspension.
It already has a TJM front bumper and place for a winch so will take that into account.

But from what I see here a Camel suspension would be a different brand to OME, Iron Man and Opposite Lock just to name a few?
If that is the case I will then continue to look at the Iron Man as first choice.
Nick, are you still around? What was the result of your search and what did you install? How do you like it's performance? Thanks for reply.
Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David
Nick (Nexus)
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nick (Nexus) »

Hello David
So have not made a choice as yet. Have had to do a few other things first, like tires that hurt a bit, as well as some suspension repair (this from the previous owner) :)
The suspension upgrade is on hold for now.
Have a few more urgent bills and costs that need attention first.
Will have to post an update when I get to that part but at the moment looks like it won't be too soon.

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”