Amp rating of power socket in the back of Prado 90?

Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Amp rating of power socket in the back of Prado 90?

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Good day,

Does anyone know what the amp rating is on the power socket at the back of a Prado 90?

I want to run a Campmaster 45L fridge from it, but I am concerned about the current drawn?

I will disconnect the fridge when the car is not running.

Thanks,
J
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Amp rating of power socket in the back of Prado 90?

Post by Mud Dog »

The amp rating will be sufficient. If you really want to check, look at the fuse box layout and see what amp rating fuse is assigned to the circuit with the plug. (You could also check at the same time that the correct amp fuse is being used.)

I run a Campmaster of the same socket at the back of my Rav without any issues at all. If your Prado Is the same as the Rav, it will disconnect power when you turn the key off fully (will still run on accessory position).

:winkx:

When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi
IIRC it is 10 Amp.
That will be fine for the camp master
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Ja! en Nee!

Using the socket at the rear for a fridge is not the best idea. I AM NOT an auto electrician but ITO plugging a fridge in that socket, I am QBE...........time will give you the answer if you dont make another plan.

I will not argue all the specs of why you can or can not. All I ask is that you remove the panel where the power socket is located in and compare the wire size to that of your fridge that your are going to plug in there. Dont look at the insulation thickness, compare copper to copper. Yes 10amp rating, but the voltage drop over the distance in those wires........ :silent:
The next problem is the intermittent connection ability of the power socket. The electronics powering the fridge do not like spikes and bad connections.

I say again, I am not a qualified electrician but got QBE! :bye:
Image Link Broken
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Knuppel has a fair point. I had a look at the wires and yes they are thinner than the fridge wire.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”