Happy new Prado owner - looking for top hinge for tail door!

Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
DanabaaiDaan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mosselbaai
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado VX V6 3.4P AT

Happy new Prado owner - looking for top hinge for tail door!

Post by DanabaaiDaan »

Hi guys - on my 2002 Prado VX 3.4 V6 A/T 95 series I am looking for a top hinge for the tail door (5th door) as mine is very worn out and it causes the door the rattle and bump when driving dirt roads or over speed bumps, and it is rather noisy.

I have so far gotten 3 options :
1) Buy a new one only available from Toyota - not an option, too expensive at more than R1300 !!!

2) Add washers to the bottom hinge to lift the door slightly - I don't think this will really help, as there is too much play on the top hinge - it would align the door better but still shake and rattle as the hinge is worn out around the hinge pin.

3) Have the hinge welded up and drilled out again with a new hole which would then tightly fit around the hinge pin - has anybody done this before and does is work / last long enough?

The last option is to try and source a good second hand one - virtually impossible ??

Hoping for some clever affordable advice soon !

Thanx - DanabaaiDaan
Groete uit Danabaai!
Daan Louw
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Happy new Prado owner - looking for top hinge for tail door!

Post by Mud Dog »

HI Daan. Never done it before but it looks like a repair might be the way to go.

Replacing the pin with mild steel won't last, it needs to be a lot harder than that and welding the old one will soften it. Perhaps instead of a pin you could use a hardened steel bolt with a long enough smooth / un-threaded shank. You might also have to drill out the original holes to a slightly bigger size because they may have worn oval and match the holes to the bolt or vice versa.

Worth a try, given the dealer price for a new one. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi Daan,

The ideal would be to replace both hinges and have the door readjusted and aligned at a panel shop.

All vehicles that carry the spare on the rear door has some ageing wear issues with the hinges and rattles. That's why most manufacturers that sell in Europe and USA and Canada have moved to sparewheel's no longer on the rear door and also got to do with lights visibility at an angle of 45 degrees ect.

I made a shim (0.6mm) for mine to fit the rear hinge which has partly solves the issue. The knocking/rattle noise from the rear door over ruts and gravel roads and humps have been better but still is there. It takes a fair bit more effort to hear it now from the back.

I did mine to get the lock to be more tight fit and it seems to work with easier opening and closing with less rattling.

It is not a permanent solution and I will look into replacing both hinges at some stage to rectify the issue with a new rear door seal to finish it of neatly. But it is costly approx 6K for all the work done with painting and adjusting including parts.
Johan Marais
DanabaaiDaan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DanabaaiDaan »

Thanks Andy and Johan ! Janee - the new parts option is a lot more than the noise of the the rattling door ! I have got a very competent and knowledgeable "steel" guy here in Mossel Bay and I will go and see him next week. The idea of a slightly larger pin of the correct "hardness" with the holes drilled slightly bigger should do the trick for a lot less! :thumbup: :wave: :bye:
Groete uit Danabaai!
Daan Louw
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hoor by N1 4x4 in Pretoria of daai 90 nog by hulle staan en of sy agterdeur dalk nog daar is. Probleem met 2de handse een is jy weet nie hoeveel hy al geslyteer is nie.
Vir my klink beste opsie soos jy wil laat maak, strip hom, boor gat grootter en sit nuwe pen in.
Wenk: Vir harde pen kry vir jou high tensile boutjie met baie lang skag, dan gebruik jy dit vir 'n pen, saag net die punt af.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
DanabaaiDaan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DanabaaiDaan »

Dankie Piet! Het met Corne by N1 gepraat en hulle het een wat glo nie te sleg lyk nie vir R550 + BTW. Ek moet dalk tog net eers die herstelopsie probeer....
Groete uit Danabaai!
Daan Louw

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”