2000 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE Catalytic Converter

Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
mleonc
Town: San Jose
Vehicle: Prado

2000 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE Catalytic Converter

Post by mleonc »

I have a 2000 Prado 90 5VZ-FE 3.4 Petrol, was my fathers car. He never replaced the catalytic converter nor do I. The car has 145000KM, the question is: The cat could be clogged? Should I replace it with a new one (MagnaFlow o something better than stock)? The quality of the fuel at my country is not as good as other places.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2000 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE Catalytic Converter

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Mauricio! :thumbup:

It is very possible that it is now clogged with that mileage. It needs to be replaced but if you don't have emission control requirements in your country you could just cut it out altogether.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mleonc

Post by mleonc »

Hi! thanks! and thanks for the information! I'm gonna take the route of cutting it out as you said.
mleonc

Post by mleonc »

Hi! Just updating the post, yesterday I remove the cat, and yes, it was clogged. Gonna wait until next emission rev to put a new one. The car feel a lot different now.

Thanks again!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Removing it will definitely improve the performance, especially if it was clogged. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”