Note before posting

Advertise any vehicles for sale here.
Forum rules
When advertising something in this section the following rules apply:
1. You must add the price to the subject line and / or in the post. If you don't specify a price we will delete your ad. Click here if you are unsure
2. When advertising a vehicle please use the following template:
YEAR:
MILEAGE:
SERVICE HISTORY:
CONDITION:
EXTRAS AND MODIFICATIONS:
ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO MENTION:
HONESTY SECTION:
ASKING PRICE:
PICTURES:
If you don't upload a photo we will delete your ad. Click here to find out how
3. Once the vehicle has been sold you must edit your post and put SOLD in the subject line.
EXAMPLE: 1981 Hilux - R8500
or SOLD - 1981 Hilux - R8500 - SOLD
4. Don't be a spammer. Introduce yourself and be part of the forum before trying to place an ad.
5. You MUST have a minimum Post Count of 10 before advertising here.

Note to respondents - Please respect the seller's right to determine a selling price and refrain from negative comments.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Note before posting

Post by Mud Dog »

The 'For Sale" section has grown and seen a lot more activity in recent months. With that there have been a number of problems arising, the most common of which is a posting without any pictures. All potential buyers would like to see what the item looks like, so pics are essential. The moderator team are often fielding queries about items up for sale and as a result we have compiled a format for info that should be supplied with the for sale posting. Please comply with it and supply all applicable info. Pics should also be recent.
Thanks,
Moderators.

ITEM / VEHICLE:
YEAR:
MILEAGE:
SERVICE HISTORY:
CONDITION:
EXTRAS AND MODIFICATIONS:
EMAIL:
ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO MENTION:
HONESTY SECTION:
ASKING PRICE:
PICTURES:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BPJacobs
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Note before posting

Post by BPJacobs »

Why does the advertisement section show as locked?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

BPJacobs wrote:Why does the advertisement section show as locked?
You can only post in the for sale section if you are a regular member. New registrations cannot post there
To God be the glory
chopper

Post by chopper »

Cassie,
A minimum of 10 postings before placing any ad :?:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

chopper wrote:Cassie,
Correct :thumbup:
To God be the glory
chopper

Post by chopper »

Dankbaar :thumbup:
Rattlesnake
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2004 Hilux KZ-TE 4x4. Intercooler. Chip. Dyno. tuned
Club VHF Licence: X07

Re: Ford Explorer for sale

Post by Rattlesnake »

I want to sell my Ford Explorer.

Offtopic
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

CasKru wrote:
mostly I dont care for post count .... but in THIS case, it may even curb a trend if the post count had to be 100 before using the classifieds.

We have seen virtually all add media being swamped by TRADERS. There is hardly any place left for the PRIVATE person to advertise.

from a BUYERS perspective it is NICE to know that if a person must have 100 posts then he is reasonably known already on the forum. PRoviding some form of protection - or at least creating more work for those that want to use this fine Forum to pedal stuff under false pretences.

another thought - as a BUYER, would you like to know to which forum member a particular vehicle belonged, OR which forum member KNOWS the potential seller ??

just my 10 Zim dollars on this topic.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

ChrisF I absolutely agree 100% :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by 4x4BEES on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

ChrisF wrote:
CasKru wrote:
mostly I dont care for post count .... but in THIS case, it may even curb a trend if the post count had to be 100 before using the classifieds.

We have seen virtually all add media being swamped by TRADERS. There is hardly any place left for the PRIVATE person to advertise.

from a BUYERS perspective it is NICE to know that if a person must have 100 posts then he is reasonably known already on the forum. PRoviding some form of protection - or at least creating more work for those that want to use this fine Forum to pedal stuff under false pretences.

another thought - as a BUYER, would you like to know to which forum member a particular vehicle belonged, OR which forum member KNOWS the potential seller??

just my 10 Zim dollars on this topic.

Ditto!! Second that!!

Maybe a 100 posts for vehicles? and 50 for anything else? Just an idea.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Masekind
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

+1
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

We mods had a debate about this at the time the rule was implemented. I also felt at the time that 10 posts was too little, but the reasoning was thus;

• Someone wishing to sell a vehicle or other desirable item on the forum would be deterred by an excessive post count requirement.

• This would then rob our forum members of an opportunity, especially if the item concerned was scarce or being offered as a bargain.

• New applicants for forum membership go through a screening process in an effort to protect our membership against spammers / fraudsters etc. and we are usually able to identify applicants who may be wanting to take advantage of our advertising rules. As such, if the applicant is approved (we always give the benefit of the doubt), the mod who processed the application alerts the other mods to possible abuse of the forum by that applicant.

• The mod team monitors this forum fairly closely and we keep tabs on such individuals for a while ... sometimes we are proved right but mostly there was no real need for concern. (We can also pick up if someone is chasing a post count so that they can place an ad.)

(The above two points are merely mentioned to give some perspective and insight into the role we play in an effort to protect the membership against unscrupulous individuals).

• The issue of protecting forum members against unscrupulous sellers as raised now by Chris, was also not overlooked at the time. The truth however is that although we try, it's practically impossible and not really our responsibility to do so. Furthermore it would not be the first time that one member has been taken advantage of by another. The principle of 'Caveat Emptor' (let the buyer beware), always applies.

So weighing up pros against cons it was decided to rather specify a low post count requirement and allow our membership the opportunity to avail of occasional bargains that may otherwise have been lost to us.

In retrospect, I think that it has worked well enough and don't see cause for revision of the rule at this time. I further suspect that the other mods would agree.

That all said, thanks for raising / sharing your thoughts. Your inputs (believe it or not) do have an influence on our decision making. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Andy thanks for the reply.

Nice to know. :)
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

ChrisF wrote:Andy thanks for the reply.

Nice to know. :)

+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I think there is too much being commented on prices being advertised - the seller can mos decide at which price he/she wants to market their item?

Those that have access, look here: http://landcruiserclub.co.za/forum/view ... =8&t=32461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Focus on this part: Any posts not relevant to the offer will be removed. PRICE remains the prerogative of the seller, and unless comment is requested, is not up for debate.

As for post counts, I agree, not too high a count as someone might miss out on something special.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thabo, I mostly agree with you, especially when it comes to 'off topic' comments (take for example the recent post by Syron Conversions for LR accessories). However I am inclined to think that positive posts which may help the seller are in order, like suggesting to sell off the extras on a kitted vehicle separately to achieve a better return.

On the other hand, we're a chatty forum, not stiff upper lipped and draconian like some. We tend to enjoy our humorous comments, which creates a more relaxed and pleasant forum experience. I was very tempted to delete the off topic comments on Simon's ad but left them for two reasons .... the anti-draconian / non-authoritarian approach to forum control and even though off topic, those posts kept bumping the ad up in the 'Active Topics' list, which might indirectly help the seller.

So ja, there's pros and cons, each with meritorious argument ..... which way is the better option? Hard to say. ;-)

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Andy, I do agree with you, but have a look at this ad as a case study: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=34223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinion, the price is waaaaaaayyyyyy too high, but keep in mind the guys has barely 10 posts.

It is his truck and value it at R200k. Who am I to tell him off? If he asked for opinions, then yes, but unasked, it borders on rude?

Can't we rather suggest that comments be kept on-topic and topic specific? Not comment your opinion on what the seller must ask for his truck? I'd be pretty peeved if I posted an ad and everybody and their dog(pun intended :lol: ) give their unasked opinion!

My $6537563287297927389327168767`892783`297483256828712609217k worth!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

True, let's see what the others feel and what we can do to make it better. ;-)

Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

What about the 1 time, the one guy wants to sell something awsome but with 1 post......

Maybe the mods will take it.... :lmao:
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:What about the 1 time, the one guy wants to sell something awsome but with 1 post......

Maybe the mods will take it.... :lmao:
:lol: Nah, the for sale section is locked to newbies with a post count lower than 10 ...... they can read but can't post there. ;-)

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thabogrobler wrote:Andy, I do agree with you, but have a look at this ad as a case study: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=34223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinion, the price is waaaaaaayyyyyy too high, but keep in mind the guys has barely 10 posts.

It is his truck and value it at R200k. Who am I to tell him off? If he asked for opinions, then yes, but unasked, it borders on rude?

Can't we rather suggest that comments be kept on-topic and topic specific? Not comment your opinion on what the seller must ask for his truck? I'd be pretty peeved if I posted an ad and everybody and their dog(pun intended :lol: ) give their unasked opinion!

That post, and replies seems PRETTY FINE to me.

The seller posted a very detailed list of what he offers - YES, the price is high for the vehicle , but a GOOD DEAL for an overlander that wants to put money down and drive ....

NOT the "standard" deal - but surely a viable way of selling it.

YES, it may take some time to find the right person (and this may well be wrong the forum for such an add), but advertise it where overlanders frequent and he and the buyer may both be happy ,,,,,,

I was actually thinking of what I would ask for Elders - bearing in mind that I am now ready to start overlanding with it, I am in no hurry to sell it. BUT, if I got an offer of over R 400 000 for it I would consider selling it .... now THAT is a lot of money for a 2,5 single cab !! BUT, go buy a single cab and kit it out in this manner for over landing .....

point being prices are VERY subjective, and all depends HOW you pitch it and to which audience .....

was the comments "right" or "wrong" ..... think it all adds to the culture of THIS forum.

moenie met n wen resep peuter nie ....
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

ChrisF wrote:
Thabogrobler wrote:Andy, I do agree with you, but have a look at this ad as a case study: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=34223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That post, and replies seems PRETTY FINE to me.

The seller posted a very detailed list of what he offers - YES, the price is high for the vehicle , but a GOOD DEAL for an overlander that wants to put money down and drive ....

NOT the "standard" deal - but surely a viable way of selling it.

YES, it may take some time to find the right person (and this may well be wrong the forum for such an add), but advertise it where overlanders frequent and he and the buyer may both be happy ,,,,,,

I was actually thinking of what I would ask for Elders - bearing in mind that I am now ready to start overlanding with it, I am in no hurry to sell it. BUT, if I got an offer of over R 400 000 for it I would consider selling it .... now THAT is a lot of money for a 2,5 single cab !! BUT, go buy a single cab and kit it out in this manner for over landing .....

point being prices are VERY subjective, and all depends HOW you pitch it and to which audience .....

was the comments "right" or "wrong" ..... think it all adds to the culture of THIS forum.

moenie met n wen resep peuter nie ....
+1

absolute no fault here.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Coming back to this topic briefly - although we haven't had any 'incidents' and the topic was not quite 'put to bed', I've placed a small footnote into the "Forum Rules" above as a deterrent, which should suffice to address some of your legitimate comments. ;-)

4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Scottburgh
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by 4x4Grant »

Just to add my 10 bucks to this.

On one of the other forums I frequent they mod the hell out of off topic posts and it creates an issue every time.

I have always suggested and felt that it should be left up to the poster. If he / she feels the comments are negative towards the sale then he / she should have the right to have the comments removed by a mod.

I just think its alot simpler

Grant

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Schools don't need all them number calculatin' classes.
The only math folks need to know is
4 x 4 = Off-Road
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

CasKru wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:55 am
BPJacobs wrote:Why does the advertisement section show as locked?
You can only post in the for sale section if you are a regular member. New registrations cannot post there
What determines whether you are a regular member? Although I have been on this forum for 10 years the For Sale section is locked to me as well. I don't post as often as I used to but I still trawl the forum.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Craig. That's strange .... it should be available to you. Gonna just check something .....

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It appears to be a little confusing ... says it's locked but you can post an ad if you wanted to. I think the "Locked" indicator is there because the headers and notices are locked.

As it is you've just posted a response above, albeit a query.

Test it out and place a test ad (use new topic) in one of the subforums like "vehicles for sale" or "camping goods". You should also be able to then delete your post.

Return to “Vehicles For Sale”