Stay away from Alpine Developments in Natal

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi all,

I think it's time to warn all of you against what my dad has been through over the last 5 months. To make a very long story short, he made the big decision to have his 2008 4L Prado supercharged, and chose Alpine Developments in Natal to do it for him. As per their protocol he had to pay the R43k in advance and was promised to have the vehicle back within two weeks.

He collected the vehicle three months later, however not with the improved power as promised, but with a blown engine. With the installation, three of the six pistons were severely damaged, subsequently breaking rings and damaging the block. The supercharger unit was removed and taken back by Alpine. The damage ringed up an additional R30k+. Although Apline (in Natal) does not deny responsibility, they simply do not take calls anymore and claim they will refund us when their financial position allows it!

So, if you are keen to spend the R73k, fix your vehicle yourself and be willing to walk away from being ripped off, please contact:

Alpine Developments
Turbo and Supercharging since 1980...

+27 31 764 6591
+27 73 979 8676
Web: http://www.alpine-developments.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Eina....Morne, this is not a nice situation anyone would like to be in?

You say they do not have the finances....?

Has he paid in full?

Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm

yip, he paid in full and in good faith. if we had known we would have held onto the supercharger when they removed it, at least we would have gotten something to show for the money. the car is now with Van der Linde, having the engine repaired, and yes... having a supercharger fitted. hold thumbs.. :thumbup:
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:42 pm

Any idea as to why the engine blew?

Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm

kindof yes, detonation, which cold have been caused by a number of things, timing, fuel mixture etc. but the likely guys at the moment is that they might have 'forgotten' to plug in the knock sensor.
Morne' Smuts

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 pm

Mornes wrote:kindof yes, detonation, which cold have been caused by a number of things, timing, fuel mixture etc. but the likely guys at the moment is that they might have 'forgotten' to plug in the knock sensor.
What is a 'knock sensor'? (me never heard of this.... :blackeye: )

kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Mornes wrote:kindof yes, detonation, which cold have been caused by a number of things, timing, fuel mixture etc. but the likely guys at the moment is that they might have 'forgotten' to plug in the knock sensor.

as I was reading the thread was thinking of that exact thing!!
as when detonation/knocking/pinging starts, the knock sensor should pick it up and ECU should take timing away, and hence save the motor!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:12 pm

yep thats exactly the explanation. Alpine actually admits to that being their mistake, yet they walked away from paying for the damage, let alone the refund for the conversion.
Morne' Smuts

AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Not good for our industry. Anybody can have a bad day or make a mistake but its how you deal with it. When you are tuning and you here knock you back off and find the cause. To destroy a motor from dentonation does not happen in 10 seconds. Thats continued use until it goes ping :blink: ......... :shock2: Good luck with sorting it out.
ImageImageImage

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Eina!

As ek groot is wil ek 'n Cuiser het met 'n super charger op - waar sal ek dit nou laat insit???
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 4x4 DC

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:30 am

Is it not possible to put some "pressure" from the Hilux 4x4 Forum side on Alpine Developments? If they have no funds for refunding they are definitely out of business in any case so me thinks this is a str*nt story.

A while ago the 4x4 Community forum members put pressure on a guy who was dodging his responsibilities and it worked out for the done-in party.

Just my 2cw.
2012 FJ Sport Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:17 am

Agteros wrote:Is it not possible to put some "pressure" from the Hilux 4x4 Forum side on Alpine Developments? If they have no funds for refunding they are definitely out of business in any case so me thinks this is a str*nt story.

A while ago the 4x4 Community forum members put pressure on a guy who was dodging his responsibilities and it worked out for the done-in party.

Just my 2cw.
We are a public forum that merely provides the medium for interactive communication / discussion. We do not get involved nor accept responsibility for the comments view or allegations made by members, the only time we 'step in' is if it gets out of hand or abusive.

That being said, it still has a little clout inasmuch that no-one wants their dirty laundry aired in public and their image tarnished. To this end it's always prudent and fair to advise the 'other party' of your intent to post your grievance here, and after actually posting, to inform them of such with a link to the topic. (Has this been done in this case?)
Of course we always hope that such matters can be resolved, but sometimes people are just too stubborn or thick skinned to budge. Hopefully the above matter can be resolved. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 am

My business partner had an Alpine turbo fitted to his (then) new Hilux 5L, 3000D engine. I was with him during the negotiations and we asked him whether there would be any damage to the engine by fitting the turbo. His replied not at all, but 3 months later the cylinder head blew while he was on a return trip from Kroonstad to Klerksdorp. The turbo was fitted at Alpine JHB.

Moral of the story?... you decide.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 am

at kleast u can warn friends so we do not do business with them. Shocking hope they go under
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage

Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 pm

i agree that the forum should be used for the right purpose and not as a tool to fix a tantrum.

i decided to post the comment as Alpine introduced themselves on the site. the issue has been dragging for long enough and it is clear that it will not be resolved simply anymore. i owe it to all to warn them against the service they could be getting.

and yes, in my opening letter to them i did tell them that i will be giving feedback on the conversion on the site.

i must mention that i learned very recently that the owner of Alpine Developments has sadly passed away.
Morne' Smuts

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D, Full OME suspension, Front ARB air lockers, 265/75/16 BFG,ARB replacement Front bumper, Alu canopy, DC2DC duel battery charger system, Long range tank. Solar Panels, Ostrich awning, Drawer system, Airbags, Outback back bumper, roof top tent
Club VHF Licence: X84

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 am

I for one am glad to read this post and posts like this. For sure I will not do any buisness with this company. (Not that I was intending to) or any other company that I find out is not giving good service. Is this not one of the reasons that we have a forum with a "Bad Service" section.

iniazy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Dhahran
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 am

This kit that you are describing, is it the Alpine kit with Rotrex Supercharger? Or is it the TRD kit? Please clarify.

I have the Alpine kit in my Fortuner V6, and I am not happy with its execution. If it hadn't been for my caution and steady testing of the car, I would have blown my engine too. To date, I'm still firefighting the issues with this supercharger kit. I hope I don't end up taking it off.

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information