BAD McCarthy Toyota - GOOD Barloworld Toyota

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:40 am

We are getting ready for a looooong Namibia trip to the Kunene and back in a week's time so I need to get all the loose ends tied up before we leave. One of the last things is to get the Hilux serviced sodat hy lekker kan reis. 2 things I do not want to compromise is the Toyota warantee (for what its worth), and the service history, so with that in mind I contacted McCarthy Toyota N1 City to schedule a 70K service albeit a little earlier than required at 66000km. All I want is an oil change, and new filters, and the usual check over (which they dont do anyway)...

I spin my whole story and the lady says no, they can't do that service as Toyota SA wont honour it under the Service Plan, I need to drive it to 68500km's and then we can talk. She says she'll get the service manager to call me. But why dont you just pop in at a Toyota Dealership in Windhoek for a service. Our whole trip does not even involve Windhoek, except for 1 night on our way home, so no can do, too late and all that stuff. Swakopmund would still be too early in our trip, and I dont know of any Toyota dealerships north of Twyfelfontein... So changing our itinary is not on the cards..

Service manager is a little more abrupt, "no sorry sir, we cant help you". By now I made it clear that I wont mind paying towards the service, but I want to at least negotiate some sort of discount... No way, not going to happen!!

End of the story is, they wont help me. R3000 - R3500 full payment for the service, no negotiations, "sorry mate its not McCarthy, but Toyota SA that makes the rules. And dont even think of going to another dealer, they'll tell you exactly the same. " Well Mr McCarthy N1 City, you just saw the back of me for the last time.. I wont be back.. And besides, I am not terribly impressed with your Paarl branch either. Their service sucked just as bad. So good riddance.

The twist in the tail!!!

Well, fortunately I did decide to go to another dealership... I rang up my friend Rupert Mansfield at Barloworld Toyota Kuils River. He organised that my Hilux gets his service, complete checkup and all that is necessary to give me the peace of mind to do the trip. They were willing to negotiate a suitable deal with me, giving me huge discount on the service, and undertook to show me how to change things like air filter, diesel filter, and fan belt in case of an emergency on the road. These are all things I know how to do, but the mere fact that they offered to show me makes me want to do business with them.

Why did I not go to Barloworld in the first place? Because I bought the Hilux through a McCarthy dealership, and they are located on my way to work it was more convenient to have the Hilux serviced with them. BUT no more.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Die Kuilsrivier ouens is great maar maak net seker jy kry nie n lap in die air filter nie

tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:47 pm

Thys, Barloworld Tygervalley het dieselfde gese to ek my bakkie wou laat diens op 95000km. Ek gaan die waarborg verloor, siende dat die bakkie gediens moet woord 1500km voor of na die diens .
Toe ry ek maar, en het toe die bakkie laat diens op Swakopmund, hulle was baie hulpvaardig, en kon my indruk.(dis mos maar net plugs en punte, en 'n oil change)

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:22 am

Thys partykeer wonder mens maar net oor HOE (of) die mense dink !

Mens WIL mooi kyk na die voertuig, maar wanneer mens sulke lang trips beplan is dit net partykeer ONMOONTLIK om "op" die 10 000km merk naby n handelaar te wees. Ons laaste paar trips was almal 5 000 + km gewees, so selfs die bietjie grasie wat die manne gee is nie van veel waarde nie.

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am

Wel hy is nou in... ons kyk maar wat gebeur vanmiddag.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information