McCarthy Toyota Table View

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
llochner
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-E d/c 4x4

Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 pm

I own a 2002 3.0 d-e d/c 4x4 hilux. Before leaving on a trip to the Kaokeland during April this year, I had the vehicle serviced by McCarthy Toyota Table View. It was a major service that set me back R 4 600,00 after a 10% discount was granted in respect of labour and parts as the agent celebrated its move to new and bigger premises at Killarney. I specifically mentioned to the service staff that I was using the vehicle on an extended overland trip and that it should be checked with this in mind.

During the trip itself and after spending a considerable portion of driving off road I decided to clean the air filter at Epupa Falls. I discovered that the rubber connection / hose between the air filter housing and the engin was torn at two places. On further inspection it became apparent that the rubber was torn exactly at the place where it is stretched when the air filter is removed from the housing without removing the clamps on the connection / hose itself (I assume this is a shortcut and not proper procedure!). It was apparent from the air filter itself and the housing, that a lot of dust were sucked into the air filter. Can members of this forum give me an indication as to the extent that dust may have been sucked into the engin through the tears in the connection / hose and what immediate / long term effect this may have.

On the same trip the an airconditioning hose also burst with a mighty bang. The aircon was previously serviced by the same agents. In the service schedule of the vehicle it is specifically stated that all hoses (aircon included?) must be checked and replaced if necessary. Should the agent have picked up that the aircon hose is obviously perished and need to be replaced?

On a previous occasion I had the same vehicle serviced by the same Toyota agent before going on a trip to the Kgalagadi. I never bothered to check the oil or any other of the engin fluids before leaving on the trip as the vehicle had just been serviced, i.e. I did not open the bonnet. Upon returning from the Kgalagadi I noticed that the vehicle was running very rough. I opened the bonnet and discovered that the oil cap was missing and that the entire engin and bonnet was covoured in oil. The service manager's explanation was that the 5L engin vibrates excessively and that the oil cap must have been vibrated loose. I accepted his explanation after the agent changed the engin oil and checked the vehicle for damage. Has any member of this forum heard of the 5L engine vibrating an oil cap off? Is this an acceptable explanation by the agent.

I am seriously p%*&*d off with Mcarthy Toyota Table View but before I start the complaint process I would appreciate feedback from members of this Forum.

Thanks

Leon Lochner

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
ORRA Call Sign: B15

Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 pm

I cannot comment on the oil cap but I can't see Toyota designing an engine with a flaw so simple. I think they either never replaced it or never tightened the cap properly.
To God be the glory

Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Toyota Garages/Agents - I avoid them like the plague. .
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
ORRA Call Sign: HC101

Tue May 06, 2008 6:50 pm

That sounds like a load of
Blue Bull.jpg
Blue Bull.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
A mate of mine had a 3000D for 100,000km. The cylinder head blew, but it still had the oil cap!

EDIT: To correct the lousy spelling mistake that was inserted by a fellow Moderator who illegally & unceremoniously altered my original text...

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Wed May 07, 2008 7:26 am

I dont reckon too much dust would've gotten into your motor and if it did your injectors would be the first to clog up. I cant comment on the shortcut but can say (after working as a mechanic for a dealer many years ago) that shortcuts like that are taken all the time.

The air con pipe is one of those things that you cant really check. Its like saying your tyre will burst even though there is nothing wrong with it, its a guess. If a pipe has a bulge in it then it should be replaced but if nothing can be visually seen on the outside then it becomes very difficult. As I was not the mechanic on the job though, I cannot say whether it should've been changed or not. I think it couldve just been one of those things. You have said they serviced the aircon, I stand corrected but that only means they re-gassed the aircon. The chances of them checking for leaks etc are slim I'm sure.

The oil cap, I'm with the others on this. I have never heard of a oil cap vibrating off on any car. I have however heard of cap not being put back or not tightened.

The complaint process could be lengthly and what they count on is that you think it's more trouble than its worth. The problem is proving that it was through the incompetence of the dealer that all this happened. They will say it was due to your trip and that it is no fault of theirs.

Unfortunately it is a battle that is seldomly won by the customer as you need your car and they know that. The only thing I can suggest is to give it a go and change dealers at the same time. If your car is out of warranty, try find a decent private garage to do the work for you. There tends to be more of a personal touch with them as they need the work as much as you need them to do the work.

Anyway thats just my opinion and I have seen alot of people get screwed over by dealers and I know the "lines" they use to get out of things.

Hope you come right.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
ORRA Call Sign: HC107

Mon May 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Remember to post your complain on http://www.hellopeter.com
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Wed May 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Family_BullDog wrote:

EDIT: To correct the lousy spelling mistake that was inserted by a fellow Moderator who illegally & unceremoniously altered my original text...

-F_D
Eric

ImageImageImage

This is your 1st warning :twisted: :twisted:

Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Randpark Ridge
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 pm

I had the same experence with my 1996 Rav 4 a few years ago, but it was a garage where I added a pint of oil and Sipho forgot the oil cap on the inner wheel arch. I drove like that for a full tank before I checked the oil again at the next refill. What a mess! My biggest concern however was engine damage however and I had the agents do a full check. Guess what? No problems - that's why we drive Toyota!

To get back to the point, my family has driven numerous Toyotas over the years and not one - including the farmers on bad roads, has ever had an oil cap vibrate off. That's absolute nonsense! :evil:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)

Karoo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Murraysburg
Vehicle: 96 2,4d sc ;99 2,7 4x4 sc

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Guys a point of order on the oil cap,with time these plastic caps get hard and no longer seem to tighten properly specifically the diesel models seem to have this problem,they then get blown off by pressure.
I am having an ongoing battle with mine as i service the 2,4d myself I know that i replace the cap properly and yet when bakkie has worked hard i sometimes find cap loose and engine bay full of oil.Service department at local Toyota dealer tell me that this is a known fault and when it happens they swop caps around with other bakkies in for a service this seems to remedy the problem.

Defib
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Table View
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x2

Sun May 10, 2015 8:46 pm

The worst place that

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)

Sun May 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Leon few thoughts, in no particular order -

- back in the 60's my dad had his car serviced just before a long trip. one or two BASIC items were overlooked. We packed and left on the trip. Few hundred kilometers into no-mans-land and we got horribly unstuck. NEVER again have we had a vehicle serviced "just" before a trip. Rather a 2 weeks before and be sure to give it a short shake down before the actual trip.

- my trials and tribulations with Barloworld Tygervalley is well documented, covering two vehicles bought there, and another that a friend bought on my referal. Barloworld Kuilsriver is MUCH better !!! But my office looks out onto the Tygervalley branch, so doing about 3 hours worth of traveling to get my vehicle to the Kuilsriver branch, and arranging for lifts to and fro just irks the life out of me, as I DO expect the same service at my local franchise. But they are so useless that I now rather service at home.

EDIT - friend has a new 308 - first service turned into a THREE WEEK ordeal. Error code which the local computer techies could not resolve .....
Boss had an executive model Citroen, still in warrantee, the last six months it spent more time at the dealers than at home ...... the list of bad service accross all brands is a sad reality of the times we live in ....

- oil cap - I have never seen this in nearly 1 000 000 km.

- air con hose - one is lucky to spot cracks in the rubber hoses in time. This rather sounds like either a blocked aircon condensor reducing the airflow, and causing excessive pressure to pop the pipe - that said, their is a safety valve that should blow off before any pipes bursts. The other item typically leading down this road is a faulty electric fan for the aircon system causing the same excessive pressures - again it is the valve that shoul pop, not the pipes. bit difficult to confirm now, but it is just possible something was chafing against the rubber hose over years causing a weakspot - depending where it may or may not have been easy to spot in a service.

- the tear in the inlet hose - now that is something I would have expected them to spot .... though they could just as easily say YOU tore it in your haste to check the filter in the bush ....

Frankly my only advise - for those long trips, and the proper full services - 4xLux. :)

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information