Toyota road side assistance is a disappointment

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
nick85
Town: Kroonstad
Vehicle: Hilux s/c 2.7 4x4

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi guys I've posted this on hello Peter but its sad that Toyota is one of the companies who don't respond and wanted this to be brought to everyones attention as I'm sure there is a solution to fix this in the future. I think they need to have someone they can contact who can give sound advice. I am not a mechanic and have little experience with fault solving.

My bakkies water trap light came on, I then took it to my local dealer who drained it and reset it. While driving at night on a high crime piece of highway it came on again. So I contacted the road side assistance call centre and explained the issue to them they told to me to pull over and they could send the AA to load and tow the vehicle. I explained to the woman on the phone I just need to check if it will damage anything if I continue to drive as its unsafe to stop. She could not tell me and simply said no mechanics are available after hours for advice. This makes no sense to me. We will come tow your vehicle but we don't even know whether its necessary or not? If I continued and something had gone wrong would they then not pay out and say negligence? I am truly disappointed in Toyota and their back up service. I was not expecting a Mechanic to come out to me like VW does I just wanted sound advice from a mechanic to continue driver or stop so I would not cause damage to injectors etc.

I have also just spent +-R7000 extending the Toyota warrantee which was probably a waste of money!!!

Toyota makes great vehicles fore sure but a product is only as good as its back up service!

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
ORRA Call Sign: X122

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

nick85 wrote:Hi guys I've posted this on hello Peter but its sad that Toyota is one of the companies who don't respond and wanted this to be brought to everyones attention as I'm sure there is a solution to fix this in the future. I think they need to have someone they can contact who can give sound advice. I am not a mechanic and have little experience with fault solving.

My bakkies water trap light came on, I then took it to my local dealer who drained it and reset it. While driving at night on a high crime piece of highway it came on again. So I contacted the road side assistance call centre and explained the issue to them they told to me to pull over and they could send the AA to load and tow the vehicle. I explained to the woman on the phone I just need to check if it will damage anything if I continue to drive as its unsafe to stop. She could not tell me and simply said no mechanics are available after hours for advice. This makes no sense to me. We will come tow your vehicle but we don't even know whether its necessary or not? If I continued and something had gone wrong would they then not pay out and say negligence? I am truly disappointed in Toyota and their back up service. I was not expecting a Mechanic to come out to me like VW does I just wanted sound advice from a mechanic to continue driver or stop so I would not cause damage to injectors etc.

I have also just spent +-R7000 extending the Toyota warrantee which was probably a waste of money!!!

Toyota makes great vehicles fore surebut a product is only as good as its back up service!
Sadly they're capitalizing on that fact :thumbdown:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage

Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
ORRA Call Sign: B338

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 am

In most instances companies such as Toyota use a 3rd party company/call centre to deal with road side assistance. These people do not normally know all there is to know about a car as they are just mainly there to get location details etc and then despatch the towing vehicle. During office hours they are able to put you through to a mechanic as they are opened during office hours and don't often have contact numbers for after hours mechanics.

If they had sent out the AA, that guy is a qualified mechanic, well they were in the old days. He would have been able to have given you advice once he had arrived. They would not have been able to charge you as you required assistance. If it had to break a couple of k's down the line then that would have counted as a completely separate incident.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
ORRA Call Sign: HC107

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:04 am

I all fairness I dont think one can expect TSA to have mechanics on standy 24hours. If they where not willing to tow you in than that is bad service.
Luckily I have Hopsters number on speed dial.24 HOURS he does not sleep :lol:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

nick85
Town: Kroonstad
Vehicle: Hilux s/c 2.7 4x4

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:19 am

Ali3n wrote:In most instances companies such as Toyota use a 3rd party company/call centre to deal with road side assistance. These people do not normally know all there is to know about a car as they are just mainly there to get location details etc and then despatch the towing vehicle. During office hours they are able to put you through to a mechanic as they are opened during office hours and don't often have contact numbers for after hours mechanics.

If they had sent out the AA, that guy is a qualified mechanic, well they were in the old days. He would have been able to have given you advice once he had arrived. They would not have been able to charge you as you required assistance. If it had to break a couple of k's down the line then that would have counted as a completely separate incident.
I agree and that's my issue should there not be a technical person available for advice on the phone? Otherwise when you buy your new Toyota they can just give you an AA membership instead of a road side assistance membership. You could then at least speak to one of their mechanics before pulling over for no reason I'm sure? In office hours I can just call my local dealer but after hours is when you need it most In my case. I think I'm also just disappointed as I've experienced VW in action and I can honestly say there is no comparison in service delivery, they win hands down. That being said I still prefer my hilux!

ForYota
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:47 am

nick85 wrote:
Ali3n wrote:In most instances companies such as Toyota use a 3rd party company/call centre to deal with road side assistance. These people do not normally know all there is to know about a car as they are just mainly there to get location details etc and then despatch the towing vehicle. During office hours they are able to put you through to a mechanic as they are opened during office hours and don't often have contact numbers for after hours mechanics.

I agree and that's my issue should there not be a technical person available for advice on the phone? Otherwise when you buy your new Toyota they can just give you an AA membership instead of a road side assistance membership. You could then at least speak to one of their mechanics before pulling over for no reason I'm sure? In office hours I can just call my local dealer but after hours is when you need it most In my case. I think I'm also just disappointed as I've experienced VW in action and I can honestly say there is no comparison in service delivery, they win hands down. That being said I still prefer my hilux!
My volgende bakkie is n Amarok :surrender: :surrender: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

En as sy motertjie nie wil hou nie... word hy n AmaLexus :laugh2:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
ORRA Call Sign: B15

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

You see the problem with Toyota Road Side assistance operators are, they are under qualified as this might only have been her second call for the year. The operators VW and Land Rover are so used answering calls and have a queueing system when you call. :twisted:
To God be the glory

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Alien said it - the call centre is NOT "Toyota" ....

The job of the call centre is to get you home safely, it is not a "phone a mechanic" system.

Had the exact same issues with BMW road side assist !!

PS - the owners manual deals with the issue of the light .... uhm ....

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Page 293 of the manual ....

I see Nick has now taken his gripe to the other forum ....

Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
ORRA Call Sign: B338

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:40 pm

ChrisF wrote:Page 293 of the manual ....

I see Nick has now taken his gripe to the other forum ....
Which forum?
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 pm

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=153479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
ORRA Call Sign: B15

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:28 am

:mocking: :mocking: :mocking:

Jis Chris.... not holding any punches are you :lmao: :lmao: :siffler: :siffler:
To God be the glory

Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 am

I'm confused now :roll: :roll: does he drive a 2.7 toyota or 2.5 ford ranger :oops:
One life, one dream, one toyota

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
ORRA Call Sign: HC107

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 am

CasKru wrote::mocking: :mocking: :mocking:

Good for you Chris :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 am

When i worked at the dealers many years ago, and i think it's still the same, the standby mechanic had a large area to tend to and they were only sent out to vehicles that they knew they could repair next to the road. With the danger and increasing crime, most vehicles are towed in by a third party through an independent call center network and fixed in the shop. In a case, as the one above, with an obvious fuel contamination fault, it is unfair to hold the dealer and manufacturer accountable, rather have some fuel samples tested.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 1995 2,4 SFA Hilux,Home made snorkel,Home made front bumper .
ORRA Call Sign: N/A

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Some people are too lazy to read the manual or are too scared to get their hands dirty. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:54 pm

george wrote:
CasKru wrote::mocking: :mocking: :mocking:

Good for you Chris :thumbup:
not sure why this particular rant is getting under my skin ....

but if one is too lazy to read a manual WHY continually try to taint a dealer/manufacturer ?? :slap:

o-well, today the sun shines and I feel better ... :siffler: :siffler:

ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Net so oom Chris.. ons almal ken mos al die afkorting.. RTFM :surrender:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information