Camp Master chairs are Camp Rubbish

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:31 pm

My girlfriend and I each received a camp 'master' chair for christmas from her parents for our trip to the Cederberg but on day 2 of our trip we saw the true lack if quality that they are.

The weight limits on the chairs are 110kg and as we all know they state less than the tested max weight as a safety factor. I weigh 98kg and my girlfriend weighs a bit more than half the max weight.

Her chair is the green one and mine is the blue one. Her chair broke at the top of the arm rest of all places. Its not as if there is allot of weight placed on the arm rest so that is a big sign of the lack of the quality already.

My chair looked as if it had been dragged through the karoo and then dropped off one of the passes while strapped to a boulder... One of the legs broke through the arm rest. It broke at one of the leg junctions and the 2nd layer of material tore underneath as well as along the back rest.
rps20150110_184019.jpg
rps20150110_192523.jpg
(83.02 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
rps20150110_184151.jpg
rps20150110_184225.jpg
rps20150110_184334.jpg
rps20150110_184405.jpg

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
ORRA Call Sign: HC102

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:40 pm

They are crappy quality. We also have 2 of those that didnt last very long. We bought more upmarket heavier duty spider chairs.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Jip, can't master is rubbish.

Sherry is 43kg and she managed to break both our chairs as well.
Thank God I was in my wheelchair at the time. Don't know how well they would
have lasted with my 115kg.

Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:59 pm

There is nothing I hate more than when large corporations sell utter rubbish and use catch names to do it. They can very easily manufacture good quality products for just a little more cost. Its ridiculous to think you have to pay R600+ per chair for descent quality. It costs nothing to make sonething like this.

We also feel so bad because how do you go back to the people that bought you a present and tell them it fell apart on day 2..

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: GX Cruiser
ORRA Call Sign: HC 127

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:15 pm

I bought two of their aluminium framed chairs 8/9 years ago, when they first started becoming a 'well known' brand. Admittedly, the gauge of the tubing is heavier than what I see in your pics above, and have used them regularly ever since without any issues. They've even survived three 'boys weeks' in the Richterveld which really tested them to the extreme, and survived.

Cost back then was around R260/chair I think.

No complaints here.
Cruzer GX 80 1hz Manual
Cruzer VX 80 LTD 1hd-ft auto
Cruzer VX 80 UK spec 1hd-ft manual

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
ORRA Call Sign: HC101

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 pm

I would write an email to Camp Master, include the pics. If no response, then Hello Peter should do it.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:44 am

I haven't seen a chair of that tipe that lasts! I have a Campmaster moon chair. It is a bit stronger, but also a hell of a lot more expensive.

Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:50 am

Bought the expensive Campmaster chairs three years back no issues to date. :thumbup:

Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

The problem with these chairs is when people get up,they push on the arm rests to get up instead of using their legs which ends up pushing the arm rest out and pipes breaking. Secondly is people can't sit ,they flop into the chair causing further damage.

My Ex BIL enjoyed flopping into deck chairs and pushing off the arm rests. On one occasion he pushed the arm rests to get up and the deck chair decided to collapse,trapping his fingers. Needless to say my parents punished me for laughing as a kid as this idiot sat squealing from his own doing :D:D

Rather spend the extra and buy the director camping chair or thicker poled chairs.

Craig
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.

Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Have you sat in one of these? Its like a bucket seat so you are forced to push on the arms when you get in and out and you cant pull your legs under the seat to push yourself up using only your legs because the the chairs legs criss cross so you dont fall back into it.. There are definitely different standards of quality but if it says max weight 110kg then that needs to be it max weight and it must take into account the process of getting in and out.. We never fell back into the chairs expecting them to catch us and deal with the added trajectory force. We got in and out of them respectfully like you would sit in any chair.

If the cheaper chairs lasted 3 years(just a few camping trips) and the expensive ones lasted 10 years then I wouldnt have put this post up.. But for them to last 2 days.. Just pathetic... From some of the other posts its easy to see that its not just a batch issue but rather an issue with their entry level chairs. Another large corporation taking us for a ride..

Zubz
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: West Rand
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:55 pm

I feel your pain and can relate to this, bought few from Makro and ended up breaking while at a fishing trip, had no chairs most of the weekend.

Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2014 Suzuki Jimny

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:43 pm

They have introduced a better quality version of this. Saw this at Game, Knysna. Those particular areas where yours broke were re-inforced with molded plastic parts. Difficult to explain on PC. The part where the arm rest broke off, is due to standing up from the chair, your body transfers its weight to your elbows when you help yourself up.
Sent from my iPhone

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information