Cell C vs MTN? Any views or options?

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I just about had it with the incompetence at MTN. Just got another unexplained bill off R8000 where I never before had more than R1500. And then they basically just laugh directly at you and tell you that it mist suck to get such a bill... Especially that they took the money by debit order and now its your problem to pay your other bills. And o yes good luck in trying to get the money back... Even if their fault (and you can proof it) it will take two months to get it back...

And its even better that they now can blame the strike for a call centre just putting the phone down on you 3 times after holding on for 1.5 hours total...

So then whilst fuming and on my way back to work I hear this advert from cell c that will assist with up to R10 000 to buy you out of your current contract. So after 12 years with mtn this seems very attractive to me to get away from mtn.

Now the question. How is the service from cell C?? Will I be on for more frustrations or can they be recommended??

My other option is to wait until my contract rums out and join vodacom?

What is my options to get away from mtn?

Any views from existing customers will be appreciated.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:01 pm

My preferance:

MTN

then a distant second Vodacom (good company, it just IRKS me when my tax money is used to build a giant, then sold off for profit... but that is a different topic)

you may have noted I did NOT add CellCr@p to the list .... GRRRRRrrrrrrrr ..... remember that banner story last year when the phone ran up near R6000 while handed in for repairs ....

grobbepj

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:05 pm

ChrisF wrote:My preferance:

MTN

then a distant second Vodacom (good company, it just IRKS me when my tax money is used to build a giant, then sold off for profit... but that is a different topic)

you may have noted I did NOT add CellCr@p to the list .... GRRRRRrrrrrrrr ..... remember that banner story last year when the phone ran up near R6000 while handed in for repairs ....
Must say I was very worried that mtn might be the best... Then I dont know what to do...

My data ran up a bill of R6500 when the modem was in for repairs now (sim laying on my bed side table for 2 weeks???). And they just pull up the shoulders. The only reply/advise i got from the manager is that "your kids might have popped the sim in another modem and used it while you were at work"!!!!

This is now my 2 year old sun sneaking away from pre primary school while I wasnt watching.

Dowe Koos
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Hallo Pieter
Binne 'n jaar is ek van Telcom Mobile na MTN na CCell na Vodacom en weer terug na Telcom Mobile. Swak diens gekry by MTN. Lugtyd word gesteel by CCell en niemand kan help nie. Swak diens en pakket by Vodacom. Goeie pakket en diens by Telcom Mobile. Ek kan baie stories vertel, maar nie op die forum oor die drie ander.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: GX Cruiser
ORRA Call Sign: HC 127

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Stay FAAAAAAAR away from Cell C !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me for details if you wish.
Cruzer GX 80 1hz Manual
Cruzer VX 80 LTD 1hd-ft auto
Cruzer VX 80 UK spec 1hd-ft manual

Raino001
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: "D-Rod -- Thomb Raider" Hilux Raider D4D 4X4, 33" Muds, Body lift , 76 Free flow

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:21 pm

bly weg van MTN

Ek is tans by MTN en glo my dis belsus die swakste wat daar tans is , ek verkies eerder die ou pos stelsel bo MTN

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
ORRA Call Sign: x223

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Ek het ookal die spektrum gespeel.

Almal het maar hul geite.

Huidiglik 'n Cell C prepaid as my primere foon, dan 'n klein Voda kontrak vir backup en voda data

Buite die groot sentra suig Cell C erg.

Het 'n pel wat baie gelukkig is by Hellkom.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
ORRA Call Sign: HC115

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:52 pm

Thabogrobler wrote:Ek het ookal die spektrum gespeel.

Almal het maar hul geite.

Huidiglik 'n Cell C prepaid as my primere foon, dan 'n klein Voda kontrak vir backup en voda data

Buite die groot sentra suig Cell C erg.

Het 'n pel wat baie gelukkig is by Hellkom.
Thabo, bly om jou heel per toeval te kon ontmoet vanmiddag. Ons is maar eintlik mense van die selfde kraal. (Plat oppie aarde).

Ons het Hellkom kontrakte in ons besigheid, en die naam (soos wat jy dit noem) is relatief sinoniem met wat ons ondervind. Die opvangs is nie altyd 10/4 nie en verskeie fone het al amper teerpad gesien agv furstrasie.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit.
Vehicle: Prado 4,0 V6, dual battery & 3.0 D4d S/C 4x4,front replacement,12000lbs winch.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm going back to Vodacom. I've had it with MTN
ImageImageImageImage

Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
ORRA Call Sign: H61

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:40 am

Been with vodacom for about 14 odd years. Same number and all. Never had any issues with them whatsoever. Done the cell C data thing, what a load of rubbish. They do not even have LTE on their networks. GF on Cell C. Whenever we leave the city, biggerol signal on her phone...

Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:13 am

Guys just some info on the quality of service (not billing). ICASA is to blame. The bandwidth currently available is not enough to supply in the demand, and that's the main reason why Vodacom wants to buy Neotel, to get their bandwidth and obviously their network, fibres etc. If ICASA comes to the party 90% off all issues will be resolved. Also with Vodacom all my life never had any issues, I manage my account with their online web page, work like a charm.

grobbepj

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:51 am

Toppie4x4 wrote:Guys just some info on the quality of service (not billing). ICASA is to blame. The bandwidth currently available is not enough to supply in the demand, and that's the main reason why Vodacom wants to buy Neotel, to get their bandwidth and obviously their network, fibres etc. If ICASA comes to the party 90% off all issues will be resolved. Also with Vodacom all my life never had any issues, I manage my account with their online web page, work like a charm.
Dankie Andre. Must say the wife is with vodacom and managing your account there is much easier than woth mtn currently.

grobbepj

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:53 am

It seems like there is just not one real good service provider all is happy with. A typical SA, know you will pay for poor service and get screwed over but suck it up...

Just sad state. Guess I will fight this fight out and then wait out the contract and evaluate from there. But for now mtn is on my no-go list... (And especially the sasolburg branch)

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated.

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
ORRA Call Sign: HC101

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:04 am

Ditto - been with VC from day one. Seems as if there are far fewer complaints with VC than with any of the other cell providers. But then I don't live for my phone, only use it when required.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 am

Toppie4x4 wrote:Guys just some info on the quality of service (not billing). ICASA is to blame. The bandwidth currently available is not enough to supply in the demand, and that's the main reason why Vodacom wants to buy Neotel, to get their bandwidth and obviously their network, fibres etc. If ICASA comes to the party 90% off all issues will be resolved. Also with Vodacom all my life never had any issues, I manage my account with their online web page, work like a charm.
speaking under correction here - but does this not all link back to SABC ?? The sooner they switch over to their new format of broadcasting the sooner bandwidth will become available to other users......

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 am

we have a good number of cell contracts at work, spread over the various suppliers.

much of muchness between VC and MTN ....

CellC is the one that consistently gives us the most grief ....

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
ORRA Call Sign: HC107

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:22 am

I also dealt with VC,MTN and Cellc.
Cell C is the cheapest,but reception is not very good if you venture out of the city.
MTN reception is ok. My wife is with VC and when we travel she have more/better reception than me.
The other day we wanted to get her a contract. MTN kept her waiting for 2 weeks before they could give her a answer on the the status of the contract. We cancelled the application and went to VC. After 15minute everything was sorted and she walked out with a new contract and phone.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cullinan
Vehicle: Ford :Toyota
ORRA Call Sign: HC237

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 am

Sit ook self met 'n onverklaarbare R16000 MTN rekening vir data gebruik. My data was nog nooit op gebruik nie want ek woon op 'n plaas en ons seine is baie swak. Ek het wel 'n telkom paket uit geneem vir data en hulle lte diens is baie goed hier. Ek het 'n 5 gb ata paket by mtn en 'n 7.5 by telkom. Sover het ek di 7.5 2 keer klaar gemaak deurdat ek 2 rekenaars vir 2 vriende oor gedoen het en windowzzz erg baie updates het. Ek laai nie flieks en sulke dinge af nie en gebruik maar net my internet vir epos en bietjie surfing. O ja het ook nie kinders wat my sim lders kon indruk nie.

Kom ook nie deur na customer don't care by mtn nie. Gelukkig het ek nie 'n aftrek order nie en betaal my rek kontant elke maand seker al vir die laaste 14 jaar. Het altyd goeie diens van hulle gekry maar die laaste jaar of 3 is dit al slegter.

Wag ook dat my kontrak klaar maak dan sal ek maar sien waarheen maar dink nie sommer weer mtn nie.
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen

grobbepj

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:00 am

george wrote:My wife is with VC and when we travel she have more/better reception than me..
This we also find more and more where I have no signal on mtn and my wife on swambo had got very good reception (and data)

grobbepj

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:04 am

bduk wrote:Sit ook self met 'n onverklaarbare R16000 MTN rekening vir data gebruik. My data was nog nooit op gebruik nie want ek woon op 'n plaas en ons seine is baie swak. Ek het wel 'n telkom paket uit geneem vir data en hulle lte diens is baie goed hier. Ek het 'n 5 gb ata paket by mtn en 'n 7.5 by telkom. Sover het ek di 7.5 2 keer klaar gemaak deurdat ek 2 rekenaars vir 2 vriende oor gedoen het en windowzzz erg baie updates het. Ek laai nie flieks en sulke dinge af nie en gebruik maar net my internet vir epos en bietjie surfing. O ja het ook nie kinders wat my sim lders kon indruk nie.

Kom ook nie deur na customer don't care by mtn nie. Gelukkig het ek nie 'n aftrek order nie en betaal my rek kontant elke maand seker al vir die laaste 14 jaar. Het altyd goeie diens van hulle gekry maar die laaste jaar of 3 is dit al slegter.

Wag ook dat my kontrak klaar maak dan sal ek maar sien waarheen maar dink nie sommer weer mtn nie.
Nou dat ek begin rondvra is daar sommer net by ons werk ook 5mense met onverklaarbare hoe data rekenings van mtn. So iets is aan die gang.

Het nou na n geveg my debietorder ok gestop en sal self betaal maar die groot bedrag is steeds af. Het nou bank gekontak om dit om te keer. Dan sal ek maar die geveg weer met mtn voortsit.

Blykbaar is die call centres aangese om nie fone te antwoord of net dood te druk (3 keer met my gebeur toe gee ek op) totdat die strike oor is...

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
ORRA Call Sign: X107

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:11 am

Funny, so far the best service I got was from CellC...but no LTE and their "whoosh" network is rather slow...maybe because they're still piggy-backing on Vodacom. My backup phone is on a prepaid.

MTN absolutely useless, staff are as daft and arrogant as government employees; always had issues with bills, so did friends of mine. Signal iffy some places

Vodacom the more all rounded one of the lot except when it comes to corporate contracts, from R5k to R13k taken out of bank accounts of employees after upgrades. With a corparate contract no Vodashop wants to help you, you can't phone the help line. Packages absolutely suck and they never have stock of what they advertise.
We have been waiting for the CORRECT simcard for SWAMBO's 3G router at home since October, they 1st denied that they sent a micro sim instead of a normal one, and then guess what...no stock..for 7 months?

I have both VC & cellC data SIMS, when the one is slow the other is working...so I constantly switch between them. Needless to say SWAMBO's brand new 3G VC router is still in its box...

So no good one out there

bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:35 pm

Nou dat ek begin rondvra is daar sommer net by ons werk ook 5mense met onverklaarbare hoe data rekenings van mtn. So iets is aan die gang.

Geregestreer op fb bad products of so iets en selfs daar omtrent al 4 of 5 mense gesien met dieselfde probleem
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen

Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2014 Suzuki Jimny

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Eish, eks due vir 'n upgrade nou (by cellc). Ek gaan beslis nie weer iets by hulle teken na 12 jaar se gesukkel nie. Ek wieg en weeg tussen VC (hulle is net die duurste - maar goed, MTN (ek wonder nou na al die probleme) en Telkom (wat op MTN se towers hardloop as geen Telkom beskikbaar is nie) So ek weet nie. Eintlik moet ons 'n poll oopmaak en die suggestions hoor.
Sent from my iPhone

dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2007 3.0 d4d DC 4x4

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:11 am

never had such horror stories of being billed thousands.

I've been with all three over the years and each has it's con's

with cell C at the moment, cause, well they the cheapest on calls and data - prepaid... I just don't use that much voice calls or data to warrent R350 - R500 / month contract ... then i basically just paying off phone... so I rather just buy the phone. No nasty surprises in the month end bill.

Cell C reception is very limited though. Witsands it's non-existant. So if i go there, i'm cut off from the world.
Guess you get what you pay for.
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - current) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 tdi LX D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Signal wise VC seem's to have the best coverage. Personally no issues experienced with my corporate contract, but the packages are pricey.

So far CellC hasn't "stolen my Gigs" ( :mrgreen: ) and data very cheap, R20 / Gb.

mdsn425

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:27 am

I grereggcgrereggc

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:54 pm

I've done the full circle, none is good, but cell c is the worst by far. I prefer Vodacom.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 pm

now imagine the illegitimate child when Telkom buys CellC .... may just lead to new definitions for "bad service" .....

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Used all the mobile providers, except MTN. Will never use them, they're an arrogant bunch! Had different issues from the other 3 at one time or another... but, if you travel out of the major metro's and need decent reception then Vodacom is really the only option. If you're a city slicker big data user then I'd look at Telkom Mobile. I've been using TM's LTE network for about 18 months now and it's a been excellent. For voice I'm currently with CellC and can't wait to get away, even though I like supporting the underdog... dropped calls(CellC to CellC) are driving me nuts... poor data connectivity... too many users on the cheapest network I think! For voice I'm giving Telkom Mobile a go next...

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:51 am

Since my previous post I have had data issue with Cell C data...R150/month became R900
And the what my router says I used is waaay different from what they bill...so I did a little test. First I deleted all wifi connections from the phone, PlayStation etc so that one uses any data for a month; got a R700 bill. Next month switched off my router completely when not using it and now the billing matches what my router says. And there are no other wifi connections to my router so it's not the neighbors using my data either.

So make of that what you like...just funny how the 13th of every month I got an sms stating that my bundle is depleted, like clockwork, but now that I switch it off that also came to an end.

Telkom look better by the day datawise; maybe all their recent acquisitions are paying off

Fanusl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Fortuner 2011 4x4

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:59 am

Ek is vir 18 jaar by Vodacom en het nog nooit moeilikheid gehad nie. Data tyd koop ek by telkom soos ek dit nodig kry. Werk goed vir my en het nooit skokke met hoë rekeninge nie.

bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:41 am

Hier is 'n epos adres en skakel vir hulp met die buitensporige onregverdige mtn rekeninge.

http://maroelamedia.co.za/blog/nuus/sa- ... ebruikers/

help@vfplus.org.za
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:33 pm

DO expect some action on "over billing" ....

The CEO or some such high up person at the competition commission personally experienced "over-billing" for data usage and has been on the radio actively asking the public to submit similar complaints ....

would be interesting to see if anything comes of this ...

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information