Advice please - Goodyear AT adv

Wheels and Tyres for sale
Forum rules
When advertising something in this section the following rules apply:
1. You must include the price in the subject line and / or in the post.If you don't specify a price we will delete your ad.Click here if you are unsure
2. You must upload a photo. If you don't upload a photo we will delete your ad. Click here to find out how
3. If it is an "auction" item you must state so in the subject line instead of the price. Auctions can be valid for a maximum period of 14 days.
4. It must be 4x4/outdoor/vehicle related.
5. Once the items has been sold you must edit your post and put SOLD in the subject line.
EXAMPLE: Set of 31" BF Tyres for sale - R3500
or SOLD - Set of 31" BF Tyres for sale - R3500 - SOLD
6. Don't be a spammer. Introduce yourself and be part of the forum before trying to place an ad.
7. You MUST have a minimum Post Count of 10 before advertising here.
Pumba
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3L D4D 4x4, ARB bumper, Mikem suspension, LR tank, Real Steel protection plates.
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 am

The time is drawing near for a set of new rubber... Unfortunately price plays a huge roll this time. Can anyone give me feedback regarding the Goodyear AT adv please?

Have a set of Michellen A/T on currently(came with the car) and we've now driven 50000km with them, both on and off road - no complaints.

Will appreciate your input.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:56 pm

I had extremely bad experience with GY Wrangler AT/SA's. Good tyre on tar, but on gravel I had LOTS of punctures. I will not recommend it. If you are only driving tar roads, go for it.. But for overlanding? Pack an extra spare and make provision for lengthy puncture repairs on the side of the road. That is IF it is not beyond repair.. Goedkoop koop is duur koop.. :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:54 pm

I also asked the same question a year or so ago on the forum regarding tires. And a lot of guys said General Grabbers was an excellent A/T tire for the price sensitive. Around R2k a tire. Haven’t tried it myself yet, but my dad has them on his Legend 45 and drive a lot of bad gravel roads and he is happy with them.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 pm

The Grabbers seem to be the best bang for your buck at the moment. Andrew fitted them (MT's) to Sifu-Lux shortly before I bought it - drove back to EL from PE in torrential downpours which included some roadwork sections of gravel / mud detours and the tyres behaved well. Also displaced surface water very well, but that's almost to be expected with the deep aggressive tread.

Last week I got an itchy bum to try the crawler and lockers up an incline that was in excess of 30°. It was raining at the time and the surface was a mixture of rock and clay - I hadn't aired down either, so the little slippage that there was can be completely forgiven under the circumstances.

I just don't know how the side-walls will stand up to excessively rocky trails (sharp edges), but otherwise I'm impressed.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Pumba
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3L D4D 4x4, ARB bumper, Mikem suspension, LR tank, Real Steel protection plates.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:47 pm

Dankie julle.

Enige iemand wat hulle vir lank gery het?

Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3lt D4D DC 4X4

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 am

I also had bad experiences with Goodyear ATs. Lots of punctures and poor mileage. I will never fit Goodyear again. The Hankooks I fitted after the Goodyears were 10 times the tyre.

Pumba
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 am

Mars wrote:I also had bad experiences with Goodyear ATs. Lots of punctures and poor mileage. I will never fit Goodyear again. The Hankooks I fitted after the Goodyears were 10 times the tyre.
Thanks meneer!!

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 am

Have fitted Dunlop ATX and they are not chipping on the outer corners on rocky terrain ans after about 25 000 km are still holding up well.
I am satisfied as my previous tyres were a lot more expensive and showed a lot of chipping on the outside shoulder from the beginning.
Also lost two tyres within 20 km of each other and another, a 1 000 km further down the road/track...
My point of view is to rather lose a cheap tyre than an expensive one. Buy two Dunlops for a single better brand tyre.
Purchased 6 for the vehicle, giving me two new spares...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 am

I am also currently looking at getting Goodyear ATs. As I understand it, they have a revised version with Kevlar now. The previous version did give problems with punctures, but the new Kevlar ones are very good. Is this true? Were the guys that had puncture problems with them using the old version?

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... e-opinions
DriveOut all terrain shootout

Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am

The GoodYear Adventure AT won the Wegry/Driveout 2017 All Terrain tyre shootout.
The interesting part of the competition was the sidewall penetration test.
Top of the list was the BF Goodrich T/A KO2 at 196.6 kPa and 2nd the GY Adventure at 176.6 kPa
(Pressure required to pierce the sidewall)
- U can PM me for the full article.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz

Return to “Wheels and Tyres”

• Information