Bennie se Rooi Gevaarte

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Bennie se Rooi Gevaarte

Post by BenHur »

My seun noem hom Ratelslang want hy sê die Lux is so taai soos een.

And a video of the Lux at Berakah earlier this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96LNzeUZXo0
Last edited by BenHur on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Cool video. 8) .What motor are you putting in?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

I will put in another 7mge motor. Thats why I opted for one in the 1st place, cause you do not have to fix them, as you can buy another one for about R4500
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4P Raider DC Hilux

Post by d4d »

Hi Benhur

that 7mge motor a Cressida 3.0 or Supra motor ?
What Consumption do you get more or less and was it an
easy transplant or allot of mods. Guess its all Fuel injection.

Your original motor a 2.2 (4y) ?

Looks Great !! :P
1996 SFA Hilux DC 2.4P 4x4
2005 D4D 2.5 SRX DC 4x4 - SOLD
1988 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 HT - SOLD
1993 SFA Hilux SC 2.4D 4x4 - SOLD
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

(Un)fortunately the imports are all Supra but the only real difference is the intake system (throttle body) and the Alternator. But they come without an airflow meter and a ECU or harness

My original engine was a 22R (donkey)

The biggest challenge was the cooling system. There were very little space in front of the engine so we got rid of the viscose fan and used a 18” electric fan (those ones you buy at Midas) on an Isuzu 280DT radiator and a VW reservoir tank. But I am going to change it again I am thinking of rather using a BMW 730i radiator which has more capacity As the Isuzu one was operating to close to its limit all the time and if I tried using my aircon or while towing it the engine temperature went too high sometimes I suspect it is a capacity problem.

When I am eventually off my back I will start with the new engine and do a picture report as I go along.

I am also getting rid of the Mr Turbo EFI and replacing it with a Dicktator. The later is better in that the timing (advance and retard) can be adjusted much more finely across the rev range and the rest of the settings are also much better refined

. One of the problems I experiences with the Mr Turbo is that the engine pinged while pulling hard at low RPM (crawling) I investigated using the original Cressida management system but the problem is getting an Airflow meter. A new one is more expensive that the complete Dictator system, and then you still need to make up the harness yourself. I have the wiring diagram and found a old ECU but ultimately decided to rather go the Dicktator route as I can then adjust the engine better to suite my requirements (low down torque and fuel efficiency)

The original transplant was not that difficult. The engine is fitted fairly easy. I bought a 3.0L Cressida Bell housing and fly wheel from a local scrap yard. The engine I bought originally came with a flexplate (automatic). The bell housing fitted straight onto the gearbox. The original starter fits onto it as well. The gearbox mounting’s holes was slotted somewhat to move the gearbox back a small bit. The engine mounting brackets were adjusted a few millimetres with a 10 pound hammer. The original Hilux engine mountings were used.

The power steering pumps were similar but I had to get a Cressida aircon pump as my engine came without one and the Hilux pump’s brackets were totally different.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

O ja Fuel consumption.

On the 22R I averaged 4 km/l (best ever 4.5 doing 100km/h average on the open road)

With the 7mge I averaged about 6.2 in town with about 40% Highway (N1 in and around PTA with traffic averaging 130 Km/h)

I never measured open road only without towing, but towing my Bundu trailer at 100-110Km/h I also averaged 6.2 km/l

But my exhaust is still the 50 mm BroSpeed that came with the 22R. Once it is moeg I will be changing it to a 63mm all the way to the back with a free flow box in the middle and a semi-free flow box at the back to keep the noise level down.

I also want to play around with my air cleaner system a bit. I am considering swapping positions between the battery and the air cleaner to get the piping and flow restriction down a bit.

Another mod I saw was that a guy added a air intake like you get on the Opels etc onto the bonnet so that the air cleaner can suck in cool air from on top.I do not like the idea of a snorkel too much as they are quite pricey and most guys I know who got them complains about the noise on to where it sucks in the air.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Bennie se Rooi Gevaarte

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie,

Have you got any of your vehicles back yet?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Got the vehicle back from the panel beater and then had to take it back to Megaworld as there was a problem with the fitment of the ARB bulbar, so now it needs to go back to the panel beater on Monday for the final finishing up to be completed. It could have gone to them two weeks ago already but they can only give me a Chico or a Uno as a courtesy car so we purposed until Charmaine got her Camry. I maar struggle to get into these small cars with my stiff back :wink:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I assume that is the Paj you're getting back. What is the progress on the Hilux?

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Have not touched it in a while and for now being gekrok I cant really do anything.

Then with forking out R41K for Charmaine's Camry I am a little broke also :cry: :cry:

At least the Lux is now mine exclusively so it must maar stand for another month or two before I start with it, but from now on my mods/upgrades can be done more to my liking and to suite my needs and not having to worry that it is also her daily runner in the week. Image Image Image
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

That's R41k well spent! (And a possible source of spares for you! :D )

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I still think the red Hilux looks great and the bar is really cool :o)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Now looks more like a "Groen Gevaarte" to me... :mrgreen:

How did you get this vehicle up from the Cape?

Did you ever find the rear red reflector you were looking for, I see in the pics above it is mounted on your imported load bin.

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

No its still innie kaap. Neil is looking after it for me in the meanwhile.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Vertel en wys ons bietjie meer, Bennie.
Dis mos nie teazers die nie :mrgreen:
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Nee ek het vir limey gekoop by Daniel. Maar Hy staan nog by Niel. Ek besluit nog of ek hom wil gaan haal en of ek hom moet laat vervoer.

Weet iemand hier van Transport maatskappye wat hom sal opbring en vir hoeveel?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Ons het eenkeer vir Transnet(per trein) gebruik.Ek dink dit was tussen R500-R700 as ek reg onthou.
Alles het baie goed gewerk
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Baie geluk, Benlime, ag sorry, Benhur! :mrgreen:

Gaan haal haar, dan vat jy langpad huistoe. Ek sal die rooi gevaarte terug in PRETORIA versorg :twisted:

Nou weet ek waar gan die ander enjin dalk in as jy nog een koop. Kon nie die foto sien op jou thread nie
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

george wrote:Ons het eenkeer vir Transnet(per trein) gebruik.Ek dink dit was tussen R500-R700 as ek reg onthou.
Alles het baie goed gewerk
Hulle soek R 2100
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Jitte, mens sou dink dat jy 'n Hilux ondersteuner is Bennie....

Sit die groene op die trein, dit is die veiligste en goedkoopste...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Bennie

Transnet is cheaper than Grindrod logistics (auto carriers), Bellville contact number 021 9513260 or PTA 012 541 4041 speak to Hilda Ritchie. If I remember correct they take the value of the vehicle into account and they insure it for the trip.

The other company is Forecourt Express on 011 3913491 and speak to Charlene I don’t have a CT number. They were a bit cheaper.

Both these companies say shipping will take place within 5 to 7 working days after it was received.

I am sure there are others that do the same thing.

I have used Forecourt Express before. At the time I did not know they don't insure. I might have changed my mind if I was told.
Hope it helps
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Een van die ouens op die Community Forum het gisteraan vir my gesê hy het 'n kwot gekry van R1k5 op 'n trok.

Maar ek is eintlik lus om af tery en hom terug te sleep. San kan ek so kort kuiertjie in die kaap inpas. Niel het gesê ek kan so 'n aand of twee daar by hom plak. Miskien kan ek so ietsie reël. Maar ek moet eers hier by die huis 'n paar goed in orde kry
Niel

Post by Niel »

Bennie, gaan jy die Currie beker saam bring? Ek wil hom ook vashou :lol: :lol: Sorry Bennie ek kon myself nie help nie.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Bennie,

How do you find the Conti World Contacts perform offroad? I just got some 265/75/R15's fitted but have only
tested them once. I had 245/75R15 ContiTrac AT's on before, and they performed really well.

S-L
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

On road and especially in the wet they are excellent. Off-road they will never compete against a mud terrain obviously but they hold their own against all terrains. On sand, rocks etc. they do well but in real mud they clog up due to the non aggressiveness of their thread. At the time I bought them Charmaine still drove the Lux during the week and her safety was my biggest deciding factor. If I need to buy tyres for the Pajero and they make the right sized ones I will consider them strongly.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Howzit Sifu

I drove the Rust de Winter jamboree with a set of 265/75/15 World Contacts because that is what Continental gave me. At first I was a little dissappointed with their choice, but what a tyre... The sidewalls are superstrong... should have seen the punishment we put them through in the rocky terrain. Grip was excellent even in the mudpit - boy were we surprised when we got 6 out of 10 in the mudpit... And like Bennie says, excellent on road as well.

Bennie, what size do you need for the Pajero? I have the set I did my story with... didn't cover 500 km's and not a mark on them... (unbelievable)
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I use Conti's, because thats where I work. I'm trying to convince our marketing guys to
push for some MT's for this country, but it is a niche market and thay are not convinced there is enough potential sales to start some production locally. I will keep pushing.

Conti did extensive field testing for local conditions with the World Contact. The tyre construction is very rugged specifically to avoid punctures. It cannot be all things to all people, but rather provides a good balance of properties.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Unfortunately the Conti Track AT gave the Conti's a bad name under the serious off-road guys and the competition is fairly strong in the MT market so it is maybe not a bad idea to stay clear of it.

Oh so you say you work for Conti, can you arange any discounts on tyre then :evil:

I see they make a "WorldContact 4x4" Image
and a "CrossContact AT" Image
265/70R16 tyre as that is the original size on my Pajero. I do not want to go to the 265/75R16 as many tyre manufacturers stock as they are 1" higher and will cause my odo to tick over slower which is not a good idea for tax benefit.

How would the the CrossContact AT rate vs the WorldContact 4x4 for on-road comfort and noise and wet handling.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Summed up here.

http://www.continental.co.za/productcat ... ontinental

This will most likely replace the older ContiTrac design.

I have no personal experiance with this tyre,but will try get a set for evaluation if I can twist the right arms :mrgreen:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

You can easily twist my arm to test it out for you. :twisted: :twisted:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Hoesit Bennie,

Ou Marius Safari se jy gee hulle lekker gas op die Nissan 4x4 website. Hy wou toe ook weet of jou bakkie al reg is. Ek se toe maar vir hom dat jou hulpbronne maar skraps is, toe stel hy voor dat ons 'n fonds vir jou stig. Ek se toe vir hom dat dit nie veel sal help nie, aangesien geen geld in hierdie wereld 'n Hilux beter kan maak nie... hehehe

Hoe vorder jou reperasies?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Tussen paving lê hek bou ens het ek darem die Hilux geskuif gekry in so 'n posisie in dat die voorkant nou makliker bekombaar is onder de afdak maar dis al vir nou. :| :|

Maar Mammaa het gesê ek raak nie aan die Lux voor die hek nie klaar is nie sodat die kinders voor in die erf kan speel nie. Ek dog ek spaar 'n paar rand om als self te doen maar nou wens ek ek het eerder iemand gekry om dit voir my te doen want ek is te vol strooi nou vat dit vir ewig. Kon darem so tussen die paving deur die twee anker pale se deksels bo-op vas sweis, die pale 2 laagies rubberising spuit met nog twee lae primer en twee lae topcoat, maar die spray werk is maar langdradig.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_5978.JPG
IMG_5851.JPG
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Jy't 'n lekker werkswinkel daar!
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel

Post by Niel »

pietpetoors wrote:Jy't 'n lekker werkswinkel daar!
Sou wat wou gee vir sulke spasie.

Bennie, is dit n mini jeep in die agtergrond?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Daai werkswinkel is actuslly my garage en die vloer daar waar ek geskuur en spray het is nou weer leller bemors, maar die res van die garage lyk ook soos 'n nagosie winkel. Ek beplan om voor ek eendag op pension gaan dit reg te pak, belowe :lol: :lol:

Neil

Ja dis 'n Jeepie daai, ek het hom gekoop om my kinders 'n les te leer: Jeeps breek gereeld :!:
Niel

Post by Niel »

Nou dat hulle daai les geleer het wanneer koop jy vir elkeen n hilux om hulle die ander kant van die les te leer :?:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Ja ek het mos nou 2 Hiluxe en sodra hulle kan bestuur en dit oorneem sal ek vir my 'n ander een koop :twisted:

Return to “Members' Vehicles”