Hilux Newbie....need some advice on fitting out my bakkie

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 92 Hilux 2.2 Bakkie

Hilux Newbie....need some advice on fitting out my bakkie

Post by Irishb »

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum (and to SA!). I am Irish and have just started a year in Africa with my wife. We have spent the last 4 weeks searching Cape Town for a suitable 4x4 vehicle to travel Africa in. We looked at Pajero’s, Landrovers, Colts, the whole lot, but we finally settled on a ’92 Hilux Raider bakkie 2.2L, based on everything I had read, it was the best vehicle for the job, within our budget. It is
We paid 42,000RA for it, which has left us with about 35-40,000RA left to kit it out for our journey up to Ethiopia. Was just looking for some impartial advice from the forum to try to establish where we should spend the cash to upgrade the bakkie and a good 4x4 shop / mechanic to get the gear from.
The bakkie appears to be in decent shape, has been regularly serviced and has only 240,000km (which for an 18 year old isn’t too bad!). The only things that came with the purchase were: 1 spare tyre, a rooftop tent, roof rack, drawer system which is wired up to take a fridge.
So our wishlist of extras include:
• Long range 150l fuel tank (or stick with existing 65l tank and carry Jerry’s of petrol?)
• OME suspension upgrade(or stick with standard suspension)
• Winch (although we will prob just go with a hi-lift and a spade)
• An additional Spare wheel
• 2 new tyres
• A fridge/freezer
• Kinetic strap and recovery gear
• Shovel
• Hi Lift Jack
• Compressor (with pressure gauge)
• 1 New battery
• Awning
• Camping table and chairs
• Gas stove and Gas bottle
• Pots, Pans, Plates etc...
• Basic Tool kit
• Alarm/Anti-hijack/Immobiliser
• Spare fuel pump, air filter, fan belt etc
• Large Water tank fitted
• Jerry’s x 2
• Sand Ladders
• Garmin GPS with Tracks4Africa
• Solar shower
• Warning Triangles etc..

We haven’t yet had the chance to visit any 4x4 shops (LA sport, 4x4 megaworld etc) because we have been car-less. So if anyone could give us a rough idea of costs for the above items (especially for the larger items), or even better, if anyone is doing a clearout and wanted to sell them to us second hand, please get in touch.
Also if you can think of anything we are missing, or if we have included unnecessary items please let us know. Is our budget realistic?
Cheers for your advice fellas
Bryan
Bryan.cush’at’gmail.com
PS any advice about a basic maintenance/repair course and 4wd tuition would be great too!
Attachments
raider 4x4 005.jpg
raider 4x4 002.jpg
raider 4x4 004.jpg
raider 4x4 003.jpg
raider 4x4 001.jpg
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Hilux Newbie....need some advice on fitting out my bakki

Post by george »

Hi Brian.
Welcome and congrats.You are at the right place and will get all the advice you need.
It looks like you got a really good buy there.

Here is my bit of advice: You already got a very capable vehicle.I would not really worry about a winch.
Give the van a proper service.Speak to Allen Venter.Let him check everything from top to bottom.
I would recommend the Mikem Suspension but OME is just as good even better.
The extra fuel tank I will recommend.

You will recieve a lot of info on all the other stuff
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Hi and welcome

If you look around the forum you'll see ther is a guy looking for sutch a bech seat may be you can get a few bucks back if you are not going to use it
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

You don't have a tyre pressure guage on your list, don't trust the one on the compressor, get a manual one.
Also make sure the units is easy to read, some try to give you bar and psi on the same guage, don;t get those, get one that looks like this
guage
guage
pressure-meter.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Brayan, most interesting, you must be pretty brave attempting such a trip by yourselves....

You can have the vehicle checked out and serviced by Allan Hoppy in CT a very well known member here on our Forum! 0219828232

Or if you are in JHB(Gauteng) Toyo Service centre 0119556350

In terms of cost: The 4x4 retailers are pretty pricy as most items are imported and you prob have a time limit until you leave for Ethiopia.

• Long range 150l fuel tank - Go for the LRR much less hassle and carrying jerry cans over Africa....you could end up paying extra duties. R3500
• OME suspension upgrade(or stick with standard suspension) - stick with standard. or at least have the existing checked out
• Winch (although we will prob just go with a hi-lift and a spade) Winch! R10000
• An additional Spare wheel - yes and tube and tyre repair kit. R2000
• 2 new tyres R2000
• A fridge/freezer - 12 / 220 volt only (not the ones that work off gas) 50 - 80l R5000 - R9000
• Kinetic strap and recovery gear - yes and shackles R2000
• Shovel - yip R150
• Hi Lift Jack - yip R900
• Compressor (with pressure gauge) R900
• 1 New battery (duel battery system - Narional Lunar) R1400 + R1000
• Awning - yip but a nice to have R2000
• Camping table and chairs - yip R300 - R1500
• Gas stove and Gas bottle - yip R400
• Pots, Pans, Plates etc...
• Basic Tool kit - and a few welding rods, just in case R1000
• Alarm/Anti-hijack/Immobiliser - otional
• Spare fuel pump, air filter, fan belt etc - yup R1000
• Large Water tank fitted - 60l+ R 500
• Jerry’s x 2 - yip R400
• Sand Ladders - yip R800
• Garmin GPS with Tracks4Africa - yip R1300 - R4000
• Solar shower - you could get away without, ie gravity feed from water tank
• Warning Triangles etc..ZA sticker

Good luck with your trip and happy shopping, when are you leaving?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't forget a laptop with internet access (3G) ..... so that you can log on to the forum for general, mechanical advice or just for a chat / progress report. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Hi Brayan
Maybe check out junkmail newspaper, they have lots of camping gear 2nd hand and also gumtree. If you are on a budget, leave the winch. As for suspension if you don't mind wearing a kidney belt then leave the standard in, if you want comfort and the extra ride height and wheel articulation then go for OME. OME is pricy around R18k but worth every penny. Good luck :drinks:
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice! Really wasn't expecting such in depth responses, you guys are the best. Got the vehicle booked in tomorrow with Alan at AEW to give it a thorough once over....then I will start getting it kitted out.

Just scoured the forum looking for advice on gas bottles, whether they should be kept in the back or on the roof.....but I couldnt find a consensus. Should I get a bracket to mount one on the roof rack, or just carry it in the back? What is safer?

Think we will get a long range fuel tank fitted...150l + 2 jerry's on the roofrack.

I have added the manual pressure gauge to the list (and removed the winch, it seemed like overkill, hopefully a spade and hilift will get us out of most trouble.

Thanks again fellas, I'll let you know how it goes with Alan and the final costs of the fitout.

Cheers

Bryan
Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Well, we made the trek across the city to visit Alan at AEW, well worth it! Thanks for all the recommendations, he clearly knows a Hilux inside and out! A basic service and check up only threw up a bit of a suspension tweak and a new exhaust.

Taking it back to him on Tuesday to get all fixed up. Also met a couple of other Hilux forum members, you guys are a great bunch....we feel like we have a good bit of support and advice to back up our trip now :-)

Just wondering if you guys know the minimum GPS compatable with Tracks4Africa....is a Nuvi200 or 205 ok?

We only need to buy an inverter to power cameras/laptops etc and the tow/recovery equipment. Any tips on places to buy from or brands to stick to/avoid?

Got a great new 40L Engel fridge off gumtree for 4700RA, Cheers for finding it for us Alan, you are a legend!

Cheers guys

Bryan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Just wondering if you guys know the minimum GPS compatable with Tracks4Africa....is a Nuvi200 or 205 ok?

We only need to buy an inverter to power cameras/laptops etc and the tow/recovery equipment. Any tips on places to buy from or brands to stick to/avoid?

Got a great new 40L Engel fridge off gumtree for 4700RA, Cheers for finding it for us Alan, you are a legend!
The 200 should do the trick! Just does not have 'back-track' facility. Not sure if you would want that as a requirement?

Inverer: See the Hilux 4x4 shop! http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/theshop/index ... ex&cPath=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recovery equipment: CasKru here on the forum can surely help you, with a decent strap!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Brian

Also visit these guys.they sell second hand equipment. :thumbup:
http://campinseconds.co.za/blog/
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Bryan - I do not like the idea of gas in the load bin - in the unlikely event of leaking or exploding my logic says it should do less damamage there. Carried mine in a bracket on the roof rack - 15 days in Namibia with no problems. Have one of the screw in plastic thingies to protect from dust. But, then my mate had his canister in the load bin in a box, no problems either.
ImageImageImage
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

So how are the Paddy's doing with their Bakkie, any new pictures yet :?:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Bryan, it was gr8 to meet you and the wife! That lux you got is in excellent shape... an absolute bargain!

The lux has a decent long range fuel tank, so you can tick that off the list!

Mr B
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Bryan, when are you guys heading up North?

Are you passing through Jhb? If so, would like to meet you :thumbup:

Gimme a call on 083307057four

You are most welcome (if it fits in you plans) to stay over here by us on your way up. Sure a couple of Hilux folk would also like to meet you guys :thumbup:
Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Hi guys,

All is coming along well, started making our way through our shopping list at 4x4 Megaworld and Makro! about 2/3rds of the way there.

She is going back to Allan tomorrow for a suspension fix, new exhaust and rear brake replacement...then tinting the windows on Thursday as well as a few minor additions (hopefully a half decent roof rack for the canopy to take a few Jerrys and a spare. Anyone know of anywhere I could pick up a cheap one/2nd hand?

Was half thinking about a security mesh over the canopy windows, or maybe mounting locked sand ladders over them....still weighing up between the two. Couldn't find any sand ladders in Megaworld, reckon LA Sport might have them?

George, thanks for the advice about campinseconds, Allan suggested it too. We picked up a few bits there and saved a few quid, always good!

Mr B, good to meet you too mate, we are now just waiting for the carnet to be processed so we can head up to Namibia. Might check out that 4x4 track you mentionned to test the bakkie out. What was it called again? If you are heading for a drive over the weekend let us know and we will buddy up. It would be good to get a few 4x4 driving tips, done a bit in Oz, but nothing as extreme as what we will encounter here!

OOOOM's - we are heading up the west coast, but the plan is to come back down via JHB on the way home next year. We will definitely stop by to catch up for a beer with some fellow Hiluxers!

Will get some pics up at the weekend to show you how she is looking. Just dying to get on the road now!

cheers guys

The Paddys (well Paddy and an Aussie!)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Bruyn when are you guys leaving from Cape Town? I might be able to sort you out with a couple of jerries... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers
Thys (from ACT) :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Hey Thys,

Leaving whenever the AA get their arse into gear and issue our Carnet! Probably mid next week....hopefully! That would be cool, we scored 2 Jerrys at the weekend, we are now just in need of a rack to carry them!

Cheers
Bryan
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

How well do you know your vehicle? Fancy a quick trip to the dunes on the weekend (Monday)? maybe some of our other Hiluxers can come along and show you some tricks? Monday is a public holiday after all..

Sorry mate I dont have a bracket for the jerries. maybe Allan can whip you up something in the next few days? Or you could ask Ciske or Jaco at Gomad 4x4. (021) 981 5544. :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Hey ThysdJ,

Think we have found a roof rack but can't collect till Friday. Allan took the shocks off today, which were minced, so we need to get them replaced too! Hoping to have the vehicle back on the road tomorrow...then would love to run it in on Monday if you are free and don't mind having us novices tag along. Don't know the Hilux too well, so it would be great to get as many tips on board as possible before we head off! Allan is educating us well.

Cheers
Bryan
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Gents, I might do the dunes thing on Saturday.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Niel wrote:Gents, I might do the dunes thing on Saturday.
Onthou die fotos Niel :reading: :reading:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Bryan, if we dont bump into each other in the next day or so, give me a ring. Allan's got my number, and we can organise something for Monday. Niel, why Saturday? Join us on Monday, come see the Ford get stuck or kick your KZ's backside. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I offered Bryan a trip to Boegoeberg this weekend, but Alan reckons it's a too rough a baptism for guys planning an overlanding trip... so I suggested something like Two Oceans... but Atlantis will do as well...

Bryan, you guys can do the 2 Oceans trail on your own, the view from on top is spectacular...

http://www.helderbergplaas.co.za/4x4route.htm

If you stick to the blue route you can do it without a backup vehicle!

Mr B
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I agree with Allan, Boegoeberg is a bit extreme for a newbie, ask Andre Witblits. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Both Atlantis and Two Oceans look perfect for us novices to break ourselves into 4x4 gently! What permits are required to do Atlantis? And how much would it cost to do both tracks? It would be good to practise on sand for Namibia!
Cheers
Bryan

PS got a roofrack that fits perfectly, it is going on this avo and the rewiring is nearly done. Just the exhaust replacement, roof vent and a few other things to finish off. Photos at the weekend I promise!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Bryan are you going to be at Allan's workshop this afternoon? I'll be popping in at about 4:30 then we can chat.. :thumbup:

Atlantis permit is R105 and Coenie (King Rat) will get them for us. Dont know what the trail at 2-oceans cost nowadays.
Thys de Jager

Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

Gentlemen,
Finally a few update pics of progress on the bakkie.

Summary of work by Allan
New shocks
Retension Suspension Leaves
New Exhaust
New Rear Brakes
Complete rewire
Dual battery with solenoid (connected to invertor)
Hi Lift jack points fitted
Roof rack (legs added and fitted...bought for 900 Rand)
Channels of sliding table (table slides onto side of vehicle)
A couple of new spare tyres

DIY
Fixing up table slide system with some nylon runners and a tie down
Rubberised Tailgate with 6mm Masonite
3x3 Awning
Seed Net

Still to finish
DIY window tint (where can I buy it cheap? Midas?)
Fitting a roof vent to prevent dust build up in the canopy
Trying to find a 1992 Haynes manual, even an ebook

All looking really good at the moment, can't wait to get it out on Atlantis for a rip in the morning!

The link to our travel blog is:

http://www.travelpod.com/members/afrikanskies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would love for you guys to subscribe (click get email updates) and track our progress.

Cheers fellas

Bryan (and Lani)

PS will get some updated pics of the sexy new table sliders too....much smoother now
Attachments
IMG_3347.JPG
IMG_3347.JPG (38.17 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
IMG_3345.JPG
IMG_3345.JPG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3337-1.JPG
IMG_3337-1.JPG (114.18 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
IMG_3332-1.JPG
IMG_3329-1.JPG
IMG_3328-1.JPG
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yes you can get the tinting film from Midas, most of em stock it.

Cool pics, just love that http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sticker!!! Suppose Mr B, donated it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Njoy the trail 2morow :yahoo:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmm .... a Scot and an Irishman working together! There's a recipe for disaster!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But good progress nonetheless .... looking great! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Enjoy the outing! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Judging by the pictures I would say you guy's are naughty by nature :laugh2: :laugh2:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I posted a report on the Atlantis day here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thys de Jager

Irishb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Irishb »

That was a hell of a day at Atlantis! I posted some more pics to Thys' thread!
enjoy

Return to “Members' Vehicles”