new in forum and south africa!

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
forestcori
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: VW Golf

new in forum and south africa!

Post by forestcori »

Hi everyone!

You guys have a great forum here! Already read a lot of nice advices and tripreports!
Unfortunately I am not yet a "real" member of your community since I my first Hilux is still to come...
I am currently looking for one to explore Southern Africa in the next month. Would be glad for some opinions regarding this offer:
"Double cab, fully equipped, ready for travelling, CT registered, Road worthy certificate and road tax till Dec. 2011, 3l 6 cyl. original Ford conversion by JT Conversion in Pretoria in 1989, engine, gear box and transfer case in very good condition (has all been opened and checked, bills and photos available), body and inside neat except one dent., colour coded canopy, incl. diff. locks, roll and bulbar, tow bar, 2 roof racks, 2 fuel tanks, dual battery, heavy-duty water cooler, back bumper is water tank, side steps, Safari shocks front, air conditioning, spare wheel and spare tire, tire repair kit, central locking, alarm immobilizer, steering wheel lock, air compressor, sliding window in car towards the canopy, Pioneer radio/CD/MP3 4x50 w some car spare parts, tow rope, tools, lots of equipment for camping: spacious and super comfortable rooftop tent (Echo 2009) 1.6 meter x 2.4m, brand new National Luna 12/220V fridge/freezer combo, gas installation with cooking top and lantern, 4x10 l spare petrol tanks, 60 l water, shovel, spade, 4 x 100 l dust free storage containers, 3 camping chairs, axe, grill in bag, 2x 4x5 m tarpaulin, kitchen set with all cooking utensils, a.s.o.. Ready to go."
Price: bargain @79000
:boss:

Baie dankie! (One of my first Afrikaans sentences :clap: )
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: new in forum and south africa!

Post by ChrisF »

Welcome to SA and the Forum

I am sure some of the experienced members will be around soon to answer your question.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Welcome Nico. Glad to hear you are enjoying the forum already. The offer sounds good but I would be very cautious when it come to buying a conversion. In Afrikaans we like to describe that specific conversion a "rook en kook" (smoke and cook). If the conversion wasn't done properly you might have a lot of heat related issues.
To God be the glory
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Sounds like a good deal, but I dont like Ford in a Toyota. And that engine has less power than a 4y with EFI.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Hiya Nico. Nothing wrong with a JT conversion, at least is is not a BJ (Bekjaart) conversion. If the motor and gearbox are in good condition, then it will be a nice touring vehicle. If the price include all the extras it is not a bad buy either.

Take it to Hoppy (AEW Auto) for a quick look-around and his stamp of approval. Hope you get sorted soon.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Welkom Nico, Thys het reeds ge-antwoord
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Nico and welcome! :thumbup: At that price with all the extras I would say it's definitely a bargain. Since that conversion was done a long time ago, all the niggley issues would have already been sorted so I would go so far as to say that it's also a good buy. The ford 3 lit V6 motor was very popular and spares should still be cheaply and readily available. Woest comes to worst, you could still drop another motor in there and still be ahead IRO total cost with all those extras. M2CW. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

welcome nice nice
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Hilux01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D dc 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X85

Post by Hilux01 »

Nico

Welcome and enjoy
2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D dc 4x4
Bush Lapa Miskruier 810
Gerbers Alu Canopy
ORRA Call Sign: X85
forestcori

Post by forestcori »

Wow, thank you for your warm welcomes and the advices! Sounds good :thumbup: I will see the car on Friday and will let you know if am soon a proud hilux-owner! Thanks, I really appreciate it! :dance1:
forestcori

Post by forestcori »

Hi everyone, I think I found a Hilux, although its not the one I posted previously because it was already sold unfortunately.

I took it to AEW Auto and Allan drove it, had a look at it and said that it would be in a good condition.2.4l, double cab, 1998 with 275000km. I checked the paperwork and all the numbers on the vehicle registration and everything seems to be in order. Now my question: What would be the best(your preferred) way to by a used car and transfer the money? Cash? Bank transfer? Someone told me to do it in a policestation so that they could be a witness for my buy. Do I need to check the vehicle registration somewhere (if its an original?)?

Lots and lots of questions, but would be nice if anyone could give me an advice, because being cheated would be baaaaad.

Thanks so much,

Nico
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi nico.
I would suggest you get a bank guaranteed check in the sellers name.Both of you then go to the Municipality and do the transfer.Once it is in your name you hand him the check.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Nico, I'd do an EFT. No cash involved, and no checques that can be 'altered"... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
forestcori

Post by forestcori »

Hey, thanks for your replies again! I probably gonna get my bakkie tomorrow. Have been to Allan in Brackenfell and he said that everything is fine :-) One last question: There car isn't registered in the name of the seller but in his business. Do I need to check his business registration or something else? Or is it unimportant after I've got the certification of registration in my hands with my name in it?

Have a nice evening!

Nico

Return to “Members' Vehicles”