4y EFI conversion

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
ludwiglab
Town: Kanoneiland
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux Raider 2.2 4x4

4y EFI conversion

Post by ludwiglab »

Hey everyone

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I have 2 specific questions.
- Firstly, my standard 4Y gets between 7,5 and 8 km/l, I don't know why, that's just how I got it. Will an EFI conversion improve on the already good(ish) consumption or will it not matter what the current consumption is?
- And secondly I live in Upington so does anyone know who the closest someone is that can do / help with an EFI conversion, please?

Thanx guys :cooldude:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4y EFI conversion

Post by Mud Dog »

You're not going to achieve much better consumption than that with EFI, perhaps just slightly improved power and more responsiveness. In your case I don't think EFI warrants the cost (You'll never recover it in fuel saving gains), and then you're ECU dependent ..... a carb you can still fix to get you home from the bush but when an ECU fails, you're screwed unless you have a spare and a laptop to re-map it.

Keep the carb, you'll be better off. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Members' Vehicles”