Finally!

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: '94 Hilux D/C

Finally!

Post by Boltz »

After many years of dreaming and begging i finally bought myself a hilux, previous car was a Nissan 200 sx.
The only condition attached to buying it was that i had to rebuild it myself, and do all other work on my own.

The car is a 1986 4x4, 2.2 4y, DC. So far ive done oil change all the filters, spark plugs, leads, condenser, points. Carb was redone as the fuel shutoff valve was screwed. Doing the diffs, gearbox etc this wknd, I have to do the rear hub seals as they started leaking but parts through toyota are insane expensive (R1000 for one drum brake) Dont have the service manual and cant find it, any help would be appreciated.
As far as i know my car is the import apparently before they started bulding them here or something, not sure how true that is, how can i check?

Not really worried about the bodywork for now, mostly worried about the mechanicals for now, it runs fine, does 120 on the highway no prob, handles fine replacing the suspension anyway just to be sure. Just want to check something, i engaged the front hub locks and put the car in 4wd on tar(i only did this once and it was not low range) When i turned and moved forward it feels like something is binding and if its stopping the car like brakes ,as soon as this happened i disengaged everything. Was i being a retard(you can be harsh) or is there something severely wrong?

Any hints on things that should be replaced on the vehicle to give me peice of mind, reliability wise?
(did the hilux ever come out with a black dash, i dont really like the brown one)

Thanks, any help, inputs, comments greatly appreciated!

(Ill post pics at a later stage, when the before after contrast will be a bit better :D )
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: '94 Hilux D/C

Re: Finally!

Post by Boltz »

Forgot to say im 22 and still a student, thus my knowledge is at best non-existant when it come to anything related to this car, apart from the fact that ive been a couple since i was young, my mechanical skills are fairly good, motorbikes, go-karts, friends Land Rover :D

Neway thanks again
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Boltz

First of all it sounds like everything is working fine on your van because what you felt was whined up this is because a Hilux has a locked transfercase which means there is no diffrence in speed between the front and rear drive shaft when 4x4 is ingaged hi or low range however the front and rear axils dont travel at exactlay the same speed so they brake each other I hope I am making sence 8)

However please do me a favour DONT DO IT AGAIN :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: You are hurting your van only ingage 4x4 in gravel sand mud or ice never on a solid road surface ie Tar or brick paving etc:!:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Hi Boltz,

I'm not an expert myself but here goes - When you select 4wd with the hubs locked the front and rear axles are locked together, meaning that they can not turn independently or at different speeds and when you turn the front wheels will turn faster than the rear and so the winding you feel is in fact just that and that is also why you should only use 4wd off-road. Shoe, hope that made sense.....

On permanent 4wd drive vehicles there's a centre diff that allows the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds and these vehicles usually then have a centre difflock to lock the two axles when going off-road.

Hope this helps :)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Oh yes and the trim only came in brown and grey
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Sorry Cookie Monster, still new at this - Did not read your post first...
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1998 LR D1 V8i

Post by Jurgen »

Hi Boltz,

Im also only 22 and drive an almost identical vehicle to yours. I also want to service my axles soon so any pics or tips would be welcome. Believe me you have one of the most straight forward no nonsense most capable 4x4s on the planet! And if treated well - like you are doing - it will never break. :)

Enjoy it!
Jurgen
1998 LR D1 V8i
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200 DC 4x4 - sold with fond memories
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi Boltz

Welcome here

Regarding the manuals Check out this topic: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=462 or speek to Justin to get a copy of the CD I mailed him.

Engaging 4wd on tar is as the guys said. What you experienced was wind up. The same thing happnes on low traction surfaces as well but you do not experience it as the wheel will simply slip/spin to release the tension in the transmision but on tar it can not and you will end up damaging the transfer case or diffs.

It is acceptable to drive on tar with either the hubs locked or 4wd engaged but not both simultaneously.

Firstly It is recommended that if you do not use the 4wd option on your vehicle regularly to drive with the hubs locked for a couple of Kms every month just to ensure that the oil in the diff is circulated and every component inside is lubricated. It also helps that the bearings is not permanently stationed in exactly the same place as it will wear out the bearings in a specific position due to the vibration caused by vibration in the vehicle. This will only happen over long periods of time though.

You can also sometimes use the 4L function of the transmission without actually going into 4wd. I use it in heavy traffic on the highway. When in 4L I can simply let the vehicle crawl forward in stead of stop go like everyone around me.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Jurgen, have you seen this topic?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=178
it is about servicing the front axle, hope it helps.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1998 LR D1 V8i

Post by Jurgen »

Hi,

Yes thanks I have seen it - it would help a lot!

Cheers
Jurgen
1998 LR D1 V8i
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200 DC 4x4 - sold with fond memories
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi Boltz