2.7vvti service costs

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
A.D
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: N/A

2.7vvti service costs

Post by A.D »

Hi guys,
I'm looking at purchasing a relatively well looked after 2009 Model, 2.7vvti, D/C with 135000km on the clock. It seems like a good deal as the dealer is willing to settle my current vehicle and include a roll bar and nudge bar. The bakkie already has a tow bar, bakkie lining, canopy and side railings. I would be a newbie first time bakkie owner if I decide to take the deal. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice from the members;
1. The dealer advised that I opt for a pre-owned 40,000km warranty, this would increase my monthly repayments by +/-R250. Is this option worth it? I do about 10 to 12,000km pa. (Mainly town & highway, with a handful of minor off road trips, I would like to go off road more often)
2. What are the approximate service costs for the 2.7vvti past 135,000km? What are the major ones to look out for?
3. I've done the maths on the 2.7vvti vs the 3.0D4D, A similar spec diesel with similar mileage to the bakkie I'm interested in is approximately 30-40K more (I'm just going on what I've seen online and at some dealerships) which Increases the monthly repayments but the fuel economy of the diesel brings it back in line. On my spreadsheet or on paper, there's about a R100 difference in favour of the 2.7vvti. My questions is are the service costs that much more on a higher mileage diesel than the 2.7vvti?

Look forward to hearing from you guys and look forward to owning my first Toy!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2.7vvti service costs

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Adrian! :thumbup:

Hopefully the 2.7 owners will be able to give you a better idea of service costs. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Hi Adrian

Had a 2.7vvti sold it and bought a 3.0d4d due to it not being 4x4... my 2.7vvti with my driving habits was rather thirsty but man was that one tough motor... It never gave me any problems except from my unichip plug that got loose at one stage. If my 2.7 was a 4x4 i would still have it though... dont think the price of fuel will make up the difference between a diesel and a petrol if you dont drive a lot.(7km/l vs 9.5km/l)
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

Hi Adrian,

I'm not sure about the different models etc because I have an older bakkie. But watch out with the extended warrantee.. My girlfriend bought a little Ford Figo with extended warrantee and we later found out that it's actually not worth much.. All the repairs have price limits so if your electronics fail they will only pay out 5k for example and if it cost 15k to repair you will pay the other 10k..
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Adrian,
The 2.7 VVI engine is bullet proof and I would not take the extented warranty with it...
This motor is however thirsty and will make you sweat at the pumps, so save the R250 extra for the fuel costs.
The D-4D Diesel is a much newer and modern vehicle which is more forgiving at the pumps, but if it has been driven hard or abused it could cost you dearly, so have it tested by experts if this is the route that you want to take...
You do not mention if these vehicles are 4X4 or not...
If not then you will probably have either on the market before long, as once you start driving off road, you will curse the day that you did not start off by getting a 4X4.
You do not say what the purpose of buying the LDV is, but if it is for holidays and off road travel you will eventually curse your decision for purchasing a 4X2 before long.
Your friends and travel partners will be able to get to places that you will only see pitches of...
Think this over carefully before you make a decision...
Good luck with your choice...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
A.D

Post by A.D »

Hi guys,
Thank you for the warm replies. @ Hangover, are you saying that the diesel only makes sense if you are doing lots of mileage excess of 20,000 pa? I don't do a lot of mileage. I drive in quite an efficient lift club to work and my wife works 5km from home. I used average consumptions of the 2.7vvti I test drove @ 8.5km/L vs my colleague's Fortuner @ 10km/L, however going through some of the past threads it seems that these figures might be overstated. Regarding performance, I won't be doing lots of heavy towing except towing a small ski boat on the odd occasion. Regarding the engine and extended warranty, point taken. A friend of mine owns a 2001, 2700i and the only thing he has replaced or so he tells me is brakes pads, fuel and tyres and it's just clocked over 350,000km. And I haven't heard of many problems regarding the 2.7vvti motor, except some complaints saying it's underpowered. Hopefully not too underpowered for towing my boat?!
A.D

Post by A.D »

Thanks Haboob, Just saw your post now. You have thrown a spanner in the works! Haha I might need to reconsider my options...General purpose is to do some light off roading (not as hardcore as some of the pictures Ive seen on this thread) when the opportunity presents itself, towing a small ski boat to and from the harbor and a couple of trips to the Transkei every year. The bakkies I drove are not 4 x 4, But would awesome having the 4 x 4 option when needed. The heart wants but the pocket dictates!
Rebel 4x4
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Hi Adrian, always good to see a fellow PE on this forum! Ons is maar min hier. To add to the valuable comments, and agreeing with Haboob, that someday you might kick yourself for not having a 4x4. Earlier models 2005/2006 had a 4x4 in 2.7 VVT-i. You don't get them - with that low mileage that you think of doing, I would consider a V6. Same (or pretty the same) fuel consumption, but a lot more power - guess what, they come in 4x4 and much cheaper than a D4D......my opinion, and my opinion only - I love diesel (when new) but second hand I would think the Petrol is more reliable.

My 2cw

Cheers from a non-windy, chilly PE!
Sent from my iPhone
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Welcome!

Let me put it to you in this way: If you can afford the fuel for 10/15 000km(which ever the service intervals) the service cost can not be very high - these 2.7 motors are super reliable, bulletproof yet thirsty. Expect around 6-7km/L.

The distances you do does not warrant the additional cost and risk of a diesel. Maybe see if you can find a 2.5 diesel at a similar price?

Those extra warrantees? Nah, the only parties that benefits is the selling salesman(comms) and the guarantor(whom will never need to pay anything for a 2.7). Do the math, R250 over 48 months = R12000???
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
A.D

Post by A.D »

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated! What was once black and white is now very gray! But good to explore all options before putting pen to paper. I saw a 4L V6 at a dealership nearby might go check it out, not sure if it was 4x4 tho. Cheers
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

Also owned a 2007 2.7 DC from new and only sold it because I could get a bargain on a 4L Fortuner 4x4. Would never have sold it if it was not that I realized that every so often you need 4x4....not nearly often enough unfortunately. I have to agree with the 6-7 km/l in town and best I ever got was 8 km/l on the open road. Strangely the petrol consumption is very similar to the V6 so if that V6 is a good price......think about it
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

buy the 4x4 Ronnie if memory serves me right there were no 2.7 d/c in the Virgo /vvt-i shape's .
The millage you do per year & fuel cost wont be a factor ,the thrill of the drive will see to that :siffler:
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Oops that post is for Adrian not Ronnie!!! LoL
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

2.7 best bakkie ever but if you looking at a vigo shape I personally would rather opt for the v6 good deals around and lots of power service costs not very far off from a 2.7 just 2 extra plugs ; )
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work

Return to “Meet the People”