Chirping noise on hilux D4D

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Ryntjies
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 d4d

Chirping noise on hilux D4D

Post by Ryntjies »

Hi guys,

I have a chirping noise coming from the front right of my bakkie it's making me crazy. Its a 4x2 as my 4x4 is not giving me trouble. When im stationary the noise is gone only hear it when im driving over 40km/ and gets worse when speeding up. When I drive I complety switch the bakkie off and put it into neutral but stil the chirping remains while moving so now im thinking its not from the motor's side. I have found that steering left the noise goes away and same steering right and when driving straight the noise is back.

Things i have replaced since it started:
New front wheel bearings both sides
Brand new propshaft with new centre bearing
New discs and break pads 2000km ago
New clutchkit 10000km ago
All original toyota parts

Has anyone had this same problem because its driving me nutts that I have spend all this money but not getting to the problem

I hoped after all these things it would be gone but it keeps getting worse. Been to toyota they dont know what to tel me anymore as I have replaced what they suggested.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Chirping noise on hilux D4D

Post by Mud Dog »

Try disconnecting the speedo cable at the gearbox and see if it still does it (you can use the rev-counter to approximate your speed if necessary). It could be that the noise appears to be external but is in fact closer than it may seem. I'm thinking that since it's not motor or drive-train related, that either the speedo cable or the speedo itself has a "dry" spot. :think:

It doesn't explain the disappearance when turning left or right, but it's worth a shot to eliminate the possibility.

The next thing I would look at is the wheel balancing and suspension components on the RHS front.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

I had a chirping sound on my right front wheel of my 2014 hilux d4d. I determined, by jacking the vehicle up and rotating the wheel, that the noise was coming from where the front drive shaft enters the diffhousing. I took it to toyota to see wat could be done. They replaced the front drive shaft seal, according to the head mechanic, the new shape hilux had a new design of seal, which was more prone to failure. Since then i have had no more problems/noises.

I do not know if you have the same model or if it is even the case, but hopefully you get it sorted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Thought about that also, but it's a 4x2 - so no front shaft / half-shafts.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Haha sorry, totally missed that. Good luck on getting it sorted though!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

coetzer94 wrote:Haha sorry, totally missed that. Good luck on getting it sorted though!
It is kinda puzzling, but it's through replies like yours whereby others may have experienced a similar problem to the one raised that possible solutions are offered. :thumbup:

RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lansdowne
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Ranger T6

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

I am not sure what kind of chirping or where etc. I have experienced a similar sound on a few occasions coming from my engine bay. Reason is that I would notice what sounds like a wastegate whistle/ chirp when lifting off at high revs. When driving there would be this very extremely irritating chirping sound that sounds like diesel idling gone wrong. I have figured out that it would happen on longish trips and I dont let the van idle long enough to let the turbo cool down proper. If yours is similar just let it idle when starting and before switching off
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

I also have a sound like that on my Fortuner.
I have found the culprit but have not had time to fix it.

Try tightening the nut on your shock assy.
On mine it helped a lot. I still need to replace the rubber bush that goes between the top shock mounting and the shock stem itself.
Have not done this as I have to take the whole shock out and compress the coils...

I hope that this is helpful to you..
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I found when driving fast and cornering hard... swambo tends to chirp alot. :twisted:

Taking her to the nearest mall seems to quieten down the chirping! :tongue:
Hannes Meyer
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Aranos Namibia
Vehicle: Hilux V6 4.L d/c 4x4 Automatic 2014 , Land Cruiser pick-up 2012, L/Cruiser Pick up 2023

Post by Hannes Meyer »

wanneer laas het jy wheel alighnment gedoen, onder by jou wischbone is 'n offcentre bout wat jy die alighnment stel, daardie bout kraak of breek. wanneer jy vining deur 'n pothole of gat gaan draai dit los/ gee skiet en dan ook so 'n snaakse tjiert wanneer jy ry of draai. Jy kan vandag jou wheel alighnment stel en more deur pothole gaan en dit gee skiet, dit soek nie 'n harde hou op voor bande omrede dit 'n offcentre bout is.

onder jou voertuig voor by die wishbone sal jy sien dukbout met moer, dis hy. van buite sal jy nie sien dis offcentre nie.

Return to “Meet the People”