Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
WAR Machine
Town: Noordheuwel
Vehicle: Toyota

WAR Machine checking in...

Post by WAR Machine »

Hi Everybody.

Newbie as you all can see...
I havent owned a Hilux yet but my Uncle has had a few and I always help him out when he needs to do some work on his...
So Im here to learn a bit more and hopefully oneday be in a position to get myself a SFA project going...
Im currently working on a 1954 GMC Project...

Regards
OJ
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Re: WAR Machine checking in...

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Welcome and nice, Since you do not have pictures of a Hilux you need to post a couple of pictures of the GMC you are working on.

The guys here do not read much so if you do not post pictures they will never believe you.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Wayne! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
WAR Machine
Town: Noordheuwel
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by WAR Machine »

Thanks guys...

Pics as asked for...
20150427_162745.jpg1.jpg
This was taken just before I started sripping it 2 weeks ago... :D:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Welcome.

That looks awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lovely old machine!

Many years back on one of the farms we hunted there was an old '58 Chevvy (looked very similar to your GMC), that was just standing in the veld behind the house. After a few years of seeing it just sitting there with just surface rust all over it, my boet asked the farmer about it. Turns out it had been just left out back after being first supplemented and then replaced by newer trucks and then just almost forgotten about. Apparently it had been lying out there for about 20 years at the time. The wooden load bin base and side rails were almost completely rotted away and the upholstery of the seats had split with the heat of the sun over the years.

Because of the relationship with the farmer, who was more than happy to have it removed, it was given to my boet. The wheels were taken off and brought back to town to have new tyres fitted but the old ones held the air when pumped up, so he thought they would be good enough just to tow it back to town. Went back with tools, a good battery, some fuel, a compressor (to blow out the dust) and some bits and bobs.

After connecting the good battery, checking oil, cleaning out and priming the carb, the old machine actually started and ran. So after rigging up the fuel canister as a temporary fuel tank, the old girl was driven back to town under her own steam. Amazing after all that time in the veld.

The intention had been to "hot rod" it - a 7.2lit Dodge Red Ram Hemi V8 was to be rebuilt and dropped in, the suspension was to be replaced with that of a Jag XJ6, the interior to be completely re-done and of course the body work. Long story short, running his own service station, my boet never found the time to get around to doing it. Eventually it was sold to a collector to be restored, who after seeing it in the corner of the workshop, pestered my boet over the period of a few more years to part with it.

Any modern day vehicle would have been little more than a pile of rust had it suffered the same fate. Those oldies were built tough with good quality steel.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Wayne, That vehicle looks awesome...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Meet the People”