4L V6 Head Gasket repair vs replace?

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Dogleg
Town: Durban
Vehicle: '05 4l V6

4L V6 Head Gasket repair vs replace?

Post by Dogleg »

Hi All.
Thank you so much for all your effort thus far- Up until now I have been leaching information from behind the scenes, and your insight has been extremely helpful.
I am hoping to get some more advice- I bought an '05 4L V6 4x4 4 months ago. Before it was handed over I made sure it went for the AA 4x4 test, and it passed with a surprisingly good report for a vehicle that has done 225000kms.
I purchased her because I was under the impression that they last forever and I would be able to give the engine another 250000 kms if I look after it.
I then noticed I was loosing water, and thanks to your forum and others I took it to a radiator place for a chemical test, and as luck would have it she tested positive for head gasket leak. I never saw any rise in temperature, so I suspect the cause was repaired by the previous owner and I have been left with the symptom.
So it is now in the shop, in pieces and feeling neglected while waiting for my decision:
R40 000.00 is the price for a hone, rings, water pump, surface grind, bearings, gaskets, bolts, nuts, pressure tests, timing chain set (may as well while its open), and a few sundries.
That just seems crazy to me... is that what they really cost?
I am extremely lucky enough to be expecting my second child on Boxing Day, so the cash I have saved is reserved for my wife's maternity etc.
Do I go for the repair or a reconditioned or second hand or even new?
I'm completely lost, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Re: 4L V6 Head Gasket repair vs replace?

Post by 4x4BEES »

Welcome and hope you get your answer.
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Good lord...what idiot quoted you R40K????
My v6 head gasket fell flat on 348000 and I just sold it on 380 000 on this list and that engine is as good as gold.
A head gasket set is about R2500.
Then to redo the complete head was another R2500 (including new valves and valve stem seals)
I had it serviced while they were at it and decided to put new rings on the pistons (R700) as the pistons and sleeves measured just fine. Because the motor was open, did big end bearings as well.

Total cost was R9600
James Cameron
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by JamesC »

By the way, mine also 2005 model
James Cameron
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by JamesC »

Rereading your post and checking my answer...

Why are they quoting on honing? This means they have completely dismantled the motor and they have showed you measurements that the sleeves are warped/damaged?? I find that very hard to believe.

Generally speaking the V6 tends to spring a leak on piston 5 (if you stand in front of motor, piston on tight bank, rear, closest to the firewall).

What is wrong with the water pump? Why are they messing with it?

I think they are taking you for a ride.
James Cameron
Dogleg

Post by Dogleg »

Hi James,

Wow that is a considerable difference!
I went down there last week and looked at the block and head. It had a very slight ridge on one of the cylinders that they said would then at least need a hone.
I couldn't see any damage to the block but they hadn't cleaned it yet. He did ask one of his mechanics to measure it as I was leaving.
They said something would have caused the gasket to go, and pinned the blame on the water pump. He then picked it up ad spun it, but to me it just sounded like a bit of dirt in the bearing.

I have attached the quote (omitting the company's name). This is the second quote without the timing chain kit.
Perhaps you can take a squizz and see if there if I am being taken for a ride?

Thanks again for your help,

Trent
Attachments
Repair Quote.jpg
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by JamesC »

Well, they are priced right as I mentioned:
Overhaul head is R2250
Ring set priced right
Big ends priced right
Head bolt set seems steep at R2k?? Why new ones?
Waterpump at another R2k seems not required?
Why anther thermostat?

I don't think one should blame the water pump because then the car would have run hot. The V6's are known at age for the the head gasket to collapse and you can ask them if it collapsed at piston no 5.

You are just paying city prices on labour...Your total labour component is in fact R11,169 ex VAT and then they still have a markup on the parts.

The parts you really need is R6126 according to them...(you can see my guy charged little labour)

Squeeze them a bit. Ask for a cash invoice and leave out the VAT.
Ask them to take off thermostat and waterpump and VAT then your shave another R9k
James Cameron
Dogleg

Post by Dogleg »

Great James- thank you so much for the tips!
I'll certainly get them to do so!

Return to “Meet the People”