new hilux owner

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
bambi mac
Town: sydney
Vehicle: toyota hilux SR5

new hilux owner

Post by bambi mac »

hi i bought a 2014 hilux sr5 and recently put mickey thompson tyres baja p3 atz 265\70\R17.
i drove home and then did a uturn and on full lock my tyres rub on inside of the wheel arch where the mudflaps bolt onto frame. :thumbdown:
im a big noob when it comes to 4wds. :surrender:
i was wondering is there anything i can do to get the tyres to fit in properly.
hard bumps and it seems to rub as well.
i have had a mate recommend an old man emu suspension to get the lift but its very expensive $2500 and i was hopeing to get a bullbar ($2240) before the suspension change... the total is going up and up and up!
it was brand new at end of 2014.

someone help
im about to get in a fetal position when i get home! :(
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: new hilux owner

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard, "Bambi" :thumbup:

Do the suspension before anything else and see if it resolves the issue. It's the most important single upgrade you can make, with numerous benefits besides the touching of the wheel problem. :winkx:

If I'm not mistaken, that's a 35" tyre diameter - quite a bit bigger than standard. I think 33" would have been more suitable - maybe you can still swop them out without too much of a loss on the sale of the 35's. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Remember the bigger the wheels the less power you will have available.
Ask before doing something, it can work out cheaper in the longrun and you can remain upright.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

Mud Dog wrote:Welcome aboard, "Bambi" :thumbup:

If I'm not mistaken, that's a 35" tyre diameter - quite a bit bigger than standard. I think 33" would have been more suitable - maybe you can still swop them out without too much of a loss on the sale of the 35's. :think:
265/70/R17 is actually 32" diameter, more than fine for the Hilux.

Just fit Tough Dog / OME suspension upgrade and you'll be fine.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Oops! Thanks for the correction Dewald. Just looked back at my chart and it appears I must have totally misread it in error.

Agree, a suspension upgrade should accommodate the tyres easily then.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Meet the People”